Give it up for Ivan!

BamaGrad03

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/stor...mp;lid=tab2pos1

Yes, as an Alabama native, my perspective might be skewed. But my logic isn't. Ohio State-Michigan is the most important rivalry now. It is and always will be a grand spectacle. But until Ohio and Michigan become one state, Alabama and Auburn will be the best rivalry in college football.

The rest of the column:

Let's revisit. Which is the best rivalry in the college football?

We live in the era of the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry. It has everything: top rankings, great tradition, compelling backstories. The game Saturday will be the pinnacle of all that college football fans hold dear.

(And my employer, which will be televising it to an audience that will be as big as any regular-season game in recent memory. I know this because my wife wrote the game time down on the kitchen calendar so that she will remember to watch it. We're talking big Nielsens).

The Ohio State-Michigan rivalry has every element of a great college football rivalry but one, the one that means it will never be the greatest rivalry.

When the game is over, Ohio State fans will remain in Ohio and Michigan fans will return to Michigan.

In Alabama, the losing fans have to go to work on Monday and face their co-workers from the other side.

When you can never let your guard down, a rivalry is a 365-day affair.

The Iron Bowl engages more people in Alabama than any other event, sporting or otherwise, in the state. There is no NFL team, no major-league professional team of any kind. The state plans its life around the game.

In 49 states, Ohio State and Michigan will win the TV ratings. But when Auburn and Alabama meet at 3:30 on Saturday, you can book that no one in the state will know or care who wins at the Horseshoe.

Yes, as an Alabama native, my perspective might be skewed. But my logic isn't. Ohio State-Michigan is the most important rivalry now. It is and always will be a grand spectacle. But until Ohio and Michigan become one state, Alabama and Auburn will be the best rivalry in college football.

Archived