Shula: minimum to survive next year?

quietfan

Shula: minimum to survive next year?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What is the minimum number of wins Shula needs to survive next year?

I'd make this some sort of poll out of this if I knew how, but anyway:

Let's say Shula does get one more year. What will he have to do next year to hold onto the job? 7-5, 8-4, better? SEC West? Upper tier bowl? Beat UT, LSU, & Auburn, or just 1-2 of the Big Three? Or would losing to Auburn a 5th straight time send him packing regardless of the rest of the season?

Commits/ideas? [i'd be particularly interested in the opinions of our resident AUN Bama fans.]

Call me crazy, but I think he's got to win an SEC title and beat you guys. Both of which will not happen under his watch. Our fans, and myself included, hate :ut: with a passion... but we don't live amongst them. There in lies the difference. The Iron Bowl is the one he must win to save his job.

This team will not have much talent next season, don't let anyone fool you about that. But, they'll certainly have more talent than 6-6. Heck, we have zero talent now compared to most other SEC teams.

So... The beef that Shula is taking from us is how he FINDS WAYS to lose games. I think he's a pretty good coach when it comes to gameplans. Our gameplan against :au: was pretty good IMO. However, he just doesn't know how to handle the X's and O's.

I thought next year was supposed to bammer's championship year.

OW...that's gonna leave a mark.

:au::homer:

honestly, i think losing to us would be a death kneel. BUT if he does lose to us (and he's a horrible coach so there's no reason to expect otherwise) i'd guess he needs to beat lsu and ut and at least tie for the west title. plus i think he needs to prove he can win a close game or come back against a decent team (or any team now that i think of it). basically, he has to show real improvment. not that smoke and mirrors crap from last year where he got handled by the best teams he played and lived off one big victory.

Guest Tigrinum Major

So... The beef that Shula is taking from us is how he FINDS WAYS to lose games. I think he's a pretty good coach when it comes to gameplans. Our gameplan against :au: was pretty good IMO. However, he just doesn't know how to handle the X's and O's.

Which is it...he had a good gameplan or doesn't know how to handle the X's and O's?

It can't be both, John Kerry.

i would have to agree with wincrimson, i think we have to win the SECCG and beat :au: , and i'm more likely to wakeup with a full head of hair tomorrow than us winning that much. i doubt we'll even be ranked next season the way its looking.

Which is it...he had a good gameplan or doesn't know how to handle the X's and O's?

And that's gonna' leave another mark.

As to the question...10 wins, at least a couple of which are against the LSU's, UT's and Auburn's of the world. Talent wise, Bama obviously has enough to play with most anyone and they've proven that. Sorry, but Darby, Johns, Hall and Brown are all top flight players and SJPW is a good QB. Whether it's coaching, chemistry or whatever, they just haven't shown the ability to close out games or have that killer instinct. 0-19 or 0-20, whatever the stat is when they are behind going into the 4th quarter says it all. It's not like they've been behind by 20+ in those games. Just about all were there for the taking.

I think you just hit on something. Shula has been gameplanning with Y's and Z's.

Call me crazy, but I think he's got to win an SEC title and beat you guys. Both of which will not happen under his watch. Our fans, and myself included, hate :ut: with a passion... but we don't live amongst them. There in lies the difference. The Iron Bowl is the one he must win to save his job.

This team will not have much talent next season, don't let anyone fool you about that. But, they'll certainly have more talent than 6-6. Heck, we have zero talent now compared to most other SEC teams.

CRAZY ! :poke:

Alabama's complete 2007 schedule is as follows:

_Sept. 1, Western Carolina

_Sept. 8 at Vanderbilt

_Sept. 15, Arkansas

_Sept. 22, Georgia

_Sept. 29 vs. Florida State

_Oct. 6, Houston

_Oct. 13 at Ole Miss

_Oct. 20, Tennessee

_Nov. 3 at Mississippi State

_Nov. 10, LSU

_Nov. 17, Louisiana-Monroe

_Nov. 24 at Auburn

I don't see too many wins in that schedule. W. Carolina & Lou-Monroe for sure. Houston is 9-3 and will play for the C-USA championship this season. FSU will get a new OC and will most certainly be much better next year. The Mississippi schools can't be considered automatic wins anymore, and even the Vandy game is in Nashville. Then the SEC schedule has the usual Big Boys: AU, LSU, UT & Arky, plus adds a resurgent UGA.

I only see 4-5 wins max for them next year. Seriously. I'm being charitable.

You must have forgotten all of that "talent" uat has "stockpiled" over the past three years. Heck, they are "Rollin' five deep" at the rb position alone!

Here you go QT. :big:

Thanks! ;)

Of course your options don't factor in WHO he beats. I.e. I think 8 wins and beating us probably gives him at least one more year, but without beating us he probably needs at least 9-10 wins to be safe. What can't really be quantized is the "quality" of the wins. Going to overtime to beat an Ole Miss, La-Monroe or MSU probably works against him. Beating us, LSU, or UT, even in overtime, helps him.

Here you go QT. :big:

Thanks! ;)

Of course your options don't factor in WHO he beats. I.e. I think 8 wins and beating us probably gives him at least one more year, but without beating us he probably needs at least 9-10 wins to be safe. What can't really be quantized is the "quality" of the wins. Going to overtime to beat an Ole Miss, La-Monroe or MSU probably works against him. Beating us, LSU, or UT, even in overtime, helps him.

I hope they win ten games and lose to AUBURN. That would make it hard for them to fire him wouldn't it? :roflol::roflol:

i would have to agree with wincrimson, i think we have to win the SECCG and beat :au: , and i'm more likely to wakeup with a full head of hair tomorrow than us winning that much. i doubt we'll even be ranked next season the way its looking.

If that is the case, they should fire him now. :big: Cause it ain't gonna happen. ;)

With that said, I think Bama will be better next year. There are some young players coming up and several redshirts will provide much needed depth and maybe even start at several positions. Let's be honest, Darby was much more of a liability to Bama this year. If he had lived up even remotely to his ego, it would have helped the team tremendously. I have no proof, but have heard rumors that he was in fact a disruptive influence for the team and coaching staff.

I hope they win ten games and lose to AUBURN. That would make it hard for them to fire him wouldn't it? :roflol::roflol:

Well, 10 wins didn't really help Bill Curry.

(I know, Bammers are going to say "we didn't fire Curry, he chose to go to Kentucky". And while technically correct, I suppose, he was smart enough to see the handwritting on the wall in his failures against AU.)

Archived