Bring back Rumsfeld?

TexasTiger

Bush disagrees with his Sec. of Defense nominee. Think he'll bring back Rummy?

Tony Snow: Bush Disagrees With Gates, Says We Are 'Winning'

By E&P Staff

Published: December 05, 2006 4:10 PM ET

NEW YORK At today's meeting with reporters at the White House, the major topics for Press Secretary Tony Snow, as expected, were the pending release of the Iraq Study Group's report -- and today's surprise, the admission by Robert Gates, at his confirmation hearings as new Pentagon chief, that the U.S., indeed, is not winning the war in Iraq.

Snow said that, as far as he knows, the president has not backed away from his recent statement that the U.S. is actually "winning" in Iraq. He also suggested that Gates, elsewhere in his testimony, seemed to say that maybe we weren't losing and we weren't winning. And he charged that the press was being too negative about all this: "What I think is demoralizing is a constant effort to try to portray this as a losing mission," he said.

He was also pushed on the question of the Iraq conflict turning into a civil war -- which he seriously questioned. "Well, I think one of the dangers is that civil war had been used in a political context," he said. "It's interesting -- what intervened other than an election to get people to change the label?"

A reporter shot back: "The violence got worse, I suppose."

Snow concluded: "I said it's very difficult to figure out that there is any clear definition, and if you have one, please pass it on."

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/ne...t_id=1003468542

I'm sorry W. Time to listen to somebody who actually knows what the hell he's talking about. This guy was staring down the Russians way back when you were still an alcoholic.

I'm sorry W. Time to listen to somebody who actually knows what the hell he's talking about. This guy was staring down the Russians way back when you were still an alcoholic.

Classic.

Gates also said we're not losing. Funny how that tiny bit of info gets left out of all these pompous post.

Gates also said we're not losing. Funny how that tiny bit of info gets left out of all these pompous post.

No. He said we're not winning. If we're not winning, then we're losing. Because not winning means an endless war of attrition without result. That's just not American military doctrine. Instead, because Rumsfeld overrode the entire Joint Chiefs and decided to perform this operation with a bare minimum of troops and zero thought to the political aftermath of the invasion, we are in a huge mess.

I've sat in enough bull sessions with colonels to know that if there had been ANY planning for the aftermath, we wouldn't be dealing with these issues today.

HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH!

I think Gates will truly bring a breath of fresh air to the DOD. We need someone who has a mind of his own, and is not just a Bush "YES" man.

I think Gates will truly bring a breath of fresh air to the DOD. We need someone who has a mind of his own, and is not just a Bush "YES" man.

If 'fresh air' is what you were looking for, then Rumsfeld was it. Problem was, he was trying to completely revamp the entire military, and the 'professionals' in the Pentagon weren't too keen on the idea. He was anything but Bush's 'YES' man.

HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH! HATE BUSH!

Why do you hate Bush so much?

If 'fresh air' is what you were looking for, then Rumsfeld was it. Problem was, he was trying to completely revamp the entire military, and the 'professionals' in the Pentagon weren't too keen on the idea. He was anything but Bush's 'YES' man.

Please show me where Rumsfeld wasn't lock step with Bush.

Evidently the guys were the ones who were right and Rumsfeld was wrong.

Look, I knew about his management defense policy early on, and there was nothing new to it. It was basically a rehash of Robert McNamara's thinking in the 60s, and look where that got us in Vietnam.

I just love your kneejerk defense to a policy and a strategy that is so obviously not workng.

I just love your kneejerk defense to a policy and a strategy that is so obviously not workng.

Yeah, because a policy which allows Islamic Terrorist to control the show is all that matters as long as we're in agreement about D.C. policy.

The ISG is nothing more than a Neville Chamberlain appeasement choice.

Yeah, because a policy which allows Islamic Terrorist to control the show is all that matters as long as we're in agreement about D.C. policy.

Okay, now you're seriously out of touch with reality. James Baker? Reagan's right hand man? An appeaser? You realize you're making zero sense at this point.

Okay, now you're seriously out of touch with reality. James Baker? Reagan's right hand man? An appeaser? You realize you're making zero sense at this point.

What would you call cutting and running ? I call that appeasing. What would you call saying Israel must give back the Golan Heights ? I'd say it's appeasing to the Syrians, where Israel has nothing to do w/ Iraq. Who's not making sense ? Try the ISG.

Bakker might have been Reagan's right hand man, but he's not Reagan.

Sen. Bill Nelson, a Florida Democrat, sounded skeptical of Baker's view that Israel could help by returning the Golan Heights to Syria
Sen. John McCain, an Arizona Republican, disagreed strongly with the panel's call for a withdrawal of most U.S. troops by 2008, calling it "a recipe that will lead to our defeat ."

Sens. Joseph I. Lieberman, a Connecticut Democrat, Susan M. Collins, a Maine Republican, and Saxby Chambliss, a Georgia Republican, questioned the commission's proposal that the Bush administration approach Iran in search of help in stabilizing Iraq.

Archived