Was Ditka Right?

DKW 86

Auburn has more right to a 2004 NC than Bama has to HALF of theirs.

Care to provide a link for that NC in 2004? I can atleast provide one for half of ours

OK...here you go... certainly more credible than more than half of uats.... at least the people/organization that awarded it actually existed in the year that we won it....

Link

Question....What polls are we claiming that didn't exist in the year we are claiming them?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Care to provide a link for that NC in 2004? I can atleast provide one for half of ours

OK...here you go... certainly more credible than more than half of uats.... at least the people/organization that awarded it actually existed in the year that we won it....

Link

Question....What polls are we claiming that didn't exist in the year we are claiming them?

Houlgate for one. The 1941 MNC was awarded retroactively in 1947 or 48. Just for starters. Bama finished 20th and 3rd or worse in the SEC and Claims a MNC for that year. MSU won the SEC that year BTW.

Link

Houlgate for one. The 1941 MNC was awarded retroactively in 1947 or 48. Just for starters. Bama finished 20th and 3rd or worse in the SEC and Claims a MNC for that year. MSU won the SEC that year BTW.

Houlgate champs from 1885 - 1949

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/natio...s_selectors.php

The NCAA website recognizes the infamous retro championships

http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/history

And just for the record guys I totally agree with 1941 not being a reconizable championship, but not the others.

Yeah...Troy beat Rice. Give em the MNC.

or at LEAST a Peoples National Championship! :lol: You can get them at Wal-Mart 3 for $5!

aubnc2.jpg?t=1167003199

Did you get special on 6 of the 12 you claim?

In the words of Red Foreman, "Dumb A--".

Who here has ever claimed a MNC for 04? That is our whole point on this issue. If the same thing happened to Bama, you guys would be out buying your new Got 13? shirts. Where is Red Foreman when you need him.

Link

Houlgate champs from 1885 - 1949

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/natio...s_selectors.php

The NCAA website recognizes the infamous retro championships

http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/history

And just for the record guys I totally agree with 1941 not being a reconizable championship, but not the others.

Houlgate Awarded starting in like 47 or 48. All the previous ones were retro.

You recognize 73?????????????????????????????????????? and 78????????????????????????????????????????

Wonder what the real champion Irish and Trojans would have to say about that.

Link

1925 National Championship- Alabama claims they share this one with Dartmouth. Who awarded the NC? Houlgate and Helms. Houlgate started his system in 1927. So Bama won their 1925 NC using a formula that didn't exist until 1927? Helms Athletic Foundation started in 1941. Another incredible retroactive NC.

1926 National Championship- Alabama claims they share this one with 3 other teams with equal or better records! Once again it is the Helms Athletic Foundation in 1941 that awards it!

1930 National Championship- The Davis poll says that Bama tied Notre Dame for NC this year. This was the only one to award it to Bama. Notre Dame was named NC in 6 polls! Parke Davis is another retroactive system! He (an individual, not an organization) did his in 1933!

1934 National Championship- Alabama says they share this with two other teams. The awarders are Dunkel, Williamson, and Football Thesaurus. Dunkel was an individual who came up with his own system. Williamson was a geologist who came up with his own system. Football Thesaurus first appeared in 1946

Hows that for answering your question?

After doing a little more research it seems the football thesaurus is a bit tainted in itself as a publication and very deceiving IT seems that an individual named HOULGATE created the football thesaurus...coincidence?? I doubt it.

Link

1925 National Championship- Alabama claims they share this one with Dartmouth. Who awarded the NC? Houlgate and Helms. Houlgate started his system in 1927. So Bama won their 1925 NC using a formula that didn't exist until 1927? Helms Athletic Foundation started in 1941. Another incredible retroactive NC.

1926 National Championship- Alabama claims they share this one with 3 other teams with equal or better records! Once again it is the Helms Athletic Foundation in 1941 that awards it!

1930 National Championship- The Davis poll says that Bama tied Notre Dame for NC this year. This was the only one to award it to Bama. Notre Dame was named NC in 6 polls! Parke Davis is another retroactive system! He (an individual, not an organization) did his in 1933!

1934 National Championship- Alabama says they share this with two other teams. The awarders are Dunkel, Williamson, and Football Thesaurus. Dunkel was an individual who came up with his own system. Williamson was a geologist who came up with his own system. Football Thesaurus first appeared in 1946

Hows that for answering your question?

After doing a little more research it seems the football thesaurus is a bit tainted in itself as a publication and very deceiving IT seems that an individual named HOULGATE created the football thesaurus...coincidence?? I doubt it.

I stand corrected...too.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnatio...e=communityfbIP

ESPN says you guys have only 7.

12. AlabamaNo. 23 pro | No. 10 college | No. 9 high school: The Heart of Dixie has four DI teams, two Heismans, eight national titles and four NFL Hall of Famers.

Ill give you the 41 one. But lets look at the others:

1925: Bama was 10-0 hard to argue that one

1926: 9-0-1 Hard to argue that anyone was better that year. The one tie was the bowl game against Stanford.

1930: 10-0 Undefeated.

1934: 10-0 Undefeated.

For the record, College Football Data Warehouse recognizes 1925, 1926, and 1934 as Bama national championship years. 1930 going to Notre Dame. Alabama finished the 1930 season beating Washington 34-0 in the Rose Bowl...considered the biggest at the time.

So to act like we are way out of line for accepting NC nods in years where were were unbeaten and more than one entity recognized us as such...is a bit of a stretch.

1926: 9-0-1 Hard to argue that anyone was better that year. The one tie was the bowl game against Stanford.

For the record, College Football Data Warehouse recognizes 1925, 1926, and 1934 as Bama national championship years. 1930 going to Notre Dame. Alabama finished the 1930 season beating Washington 34-0 in the Rose Bowl...considered the biggest at the time.

So to act like we are way out of line for accepting NC nods in years where were were unbeaten and more than one entity recognized us as such...is a bit of a stretch.

2004 Auburn?

1993 Auburn for that matter?

1993 Auburn shouldnt be considered since they didnt play in a bowl game.

2004 Auburn wasnt named by a governing body as a NC. And not many people outside of Auburn think the 2004 AU team was better than 2004 USC.

1993 Auburn and 2004 Auburn get the unfortunate disadvantage of happening during a time when the AP and Coaches polls are the end all to the voting.

For the record, i WOULD be willing to put 1993 Auburn in a discussion about NC worthiness...it was a damn fine team.

1993 Auburn shouldnt be considered since they didnt play in a bowl game.

2004 Auburn wasnt named by a governing body as a NC. And not many people outside of Auburn think the 2004 AU team was better than 2004 USC.

1993 Auburn and 2004 Auburn get the unfortunate disadvantage of happening during a time when the AP and Coaches polls are the end all to the voting.

For the record, i WOULD be willing to put 1993 Auburn in a discussion about NC worthiness...it was a damn fine team.

1983 team was much better and more title worthy than the '93 squad though.

2004 Auburn?

1993 Auburn for that matter?

2004....if I were an AU fan...I would claim it...f anyone else

But, 1993....I don't see how an AU fan could claim that...you didnt even play in the SECC or NC game or a bowl game....

WE NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR PRE-HIJACK TOPIC...

Considering that (1) Troy won their bowl game, and (2) bammer LOST to Okie State, then yes, bammer is the third best team in the state...

Considering that (1) Troy won their bowl game, and (2) bammer LOST to Okie State, then yes, bammer is the third best team in the state...

you sure they are that high???

I'd say they'd fall in behind UNA as the 4th best team in the state.

I'd say they'd fall in behind UNA as the 4th best team in the state.

Don't forget Prattville High, and Hoover High. And probably some of the smaller high schools.

You guys are willing to claim 04 and 93 as NCs but you dog us for years we claim titles... where we went undefeated and were named NC by a publication?

You cant have it both ways.

You guys are willing to claim 04 and 93 as NCs but you dog us for years we claim titles... where we went undefeated and were named NC by a publication?

neither can you. If you check the college football data warehouse you will see us awarded an NC in 1913, 1957, 1983, 1993, and yes 2004...by a publication just like the ones uat claims.

Why is us not going to a bowl in 1993 disqualify us, when uat claims so many where they went to their bowl and LOST....

you can't have it both ways either...

Guest Tigrinum Major

Not many of those same people thought USC was better than Oklahoma before that game.

Go sell crazy somewhere else.

That's our whole point BG, we don't.

I for one have no problem at all saying: 2004 Auburn Football was the best team in the country. Nobody can prove me wrong. Some may disagree, but nobody can prove it.... 13-0 in the SEC is as good as it gets... Do I refer to us as National Champions for 2004?? No...but I do believe we were the best team...

Archived