Did CTT deny he was coming to AU?

BamaGrad03

Did he?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Yes or no

• Yes
    • No

BG--Who cares? He probably tried tireless to avoid the question, just as 99.9% of us would do, until the ink was dry on a better offer. The difference is that I never heard Tubby say "I'm not going to be the next football coach at Auburn" or anything resembling that.

I certainly don't blame Saban for avoiding the question until Sexton could press UAT for another mil or two. The bottom line is that Bama had a hell of a time finding any big timers to take the job in the last two hires. I can't imagine how many must have quietly turned it down.

And Sexton knew that he had Bama over a barrel. I don't blame Saban, Sexton or Mal Moore. They all did their job. If I were Moore, I would have found a less costly alternative, but that's Bama's business.

I believe if I were an UAT alum, I would be disappointed rather than thrilled. Because of the money and because of the fact my new coach went 2-3 against AU with better players than Bama may have in 5 years.

He may win next year, and I know he's a good coach. But remember I predicted: You will regret the Saban hire--DyeEraTiger in Jan of 2007. :au:

No, because if they would have been able to catch him in the dark then he would have left in a pine box :P

He didn't lie about Auburn. As said he was a hot commodity and was being mentioned for several jobs at the time and his name had been floated around prior to that also.

Tuberville did coach speak correctly, course he also owned up and took responsiblity for it later and said that he went about it the wrong way and had learned his lesson. Course noone Bama ever mentions that.

Anyway, this was what, 9 years ago almost?

Answer to your question -- No, he did not flat out deny that he was coming to AU. All he said was he's not leaving unless it's in a pine box. Nowhere did he mention AU. Nowhere did he "flat out deny" he was leaving Ole Miss nor coming to AU. Just an oblique reference to a pine box. Some people have insinuated the pine box reference meant a coffin and that TT indirectly inferred that he would die at Ole Miss and leave in a pine box (coffin.) However, most coffins nowadays aren't made of pine so we can't be sure of what TT meant when he made his comment. One can only speculate. In any case, he definately never "flat out denied" that he was coming to be the HC at AU. He never said "I'm not going to be the coach at Auburn," unlike $aban did about the coaching vacancy at uat. Hope that clears it up for you. :)

Lol, I remember reading one account, maybe here or somewhere else that the comment about the pine box was made due to the timing of the question and who was in the room. He was then misquoted with the truth being if he said If I answer that question I'll be leaving Ole Miss in a pinebox.

Saban should have just said I'm currently the HC at Miami, no comment, or I have no interest or offers for another job at this moment.

Lol, I remember reading one account, maybe here or somewhere else that the comment about the pine box was made due to the timing of the question and who was in the room. He was then misquoted with the truth being if he said If I answer that question I'll be leaving Ole Miss in a pinebox.

Saban should have just said I'm currently the HC at Miami, no comment, or I have no interest or offers for another job at this moment.

I've also heard that the pinebox comment was completely misconstrued and misquoted.

It was to an alumni group, not to reporters and what was reported was hearsay, not an actual accounting of what he said.

Nowhere did he "flat out deny" he was leaving Ole Miss

I agree that Tubs never said he wasn't going to AU....

But I am not sure how you can actually say that after reading the pinebox quote...you dont see that he is flat out denying it

Archived