Spurrier comments

TigerOne

PAT DOOLEY, The Gainesville (Fla.) Sun

Published January 4, 2007

http://goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...344/1018/SPORTS

Spurrier, whose name came up in Alabama's search for a new coach before it hired $aban, said he figured once Rich Rodriguez turned down the job $aban was going to be the Alabama coach.

"I think Nick $aban is sick of (the NFL)," said Spurrier, who left Washington after two years. "When we were all growing up, we'd think that someday we'd coach in the NFL. You go there and you realize it's not what you thought it would be. In college, you work for two people -- the athletic director and the president. And they don't tell you who to play, they don't come to practice, they don't recruit for you."

When Spurrier left the Redskins, he sat out a year before taking the job at South Carolina.

"I wish there had been a big-time opening during my second year in Washington," he said. "I would have left in a heartbeat."

$aban's $4 million per year deal more than doubles Spurrier's recently-extended contract that pays him $1.8 million per year. But it doesn't bother the former Florida head coach and Heisman Trophy winner.

"It just jacks it up for the rest," he said. "All of those guys who are blasting him are just jealous. The one thing he shouldn't have said was, 'I will not be the coach at Alabama.' But those guys who are criticizing him are just jealous."

Spurrier's been there, I haven't, but it seems to me:

In the pros, you work for the team owner(s) and/or his/her CEO.

In college--at least at schools like Bama--you work for the AD, the President, the BOT, and the Good Ol' Boy/Big Donors behind the BOT. Every one of which feels they have the right to attend practice, give you advice, help with recruiting, and criticize whenever they're in the mood.

I like Spurrier and I respect the fact that he has been there, but I have to disagree with him on this one. Umm...I am criticizing $aban and not because I am jealous of him. One does not have to be jealous of somebody to be critical of them, especially when you are pointing out the fact that somebody is a liar.

is it beginning to seem like all of Sextons boys knew what was happenning?

I doubt Coach Tuberville, and Coach Nutt were surprised by this either.

Remember, Spurrier turned DOWN a deal that was more lucrative at South Carolina initially.....

He is a great HC that I love listening to....more so now that we beat him

Spurrier's been there, I haven't, but it seems to me:

In the pros, you work for the team owner(s) and/or his/her CEO.

In college--at least at schools like Bama--you work for the AD, the President, the BOT, and the Good Ol' Boy/Big Donors behind the BOT. Every one of which feels they have the right to attend practice, give you advice, help with recruiting, and criticize whenever they're in the mood.

Depends on where you are and how successful you are.

Archived