Soldiers not properly equipped

TexasTiger

Some serious profiteering going on at the expense of our troops.

The Inspector General for the Defense Dept. is concerned that the U.S. military has failed to adequately equip soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan, especially for nontraditional duties such as training Iraqi security forces and handling detainees, according to a summary of a new audit obtained by BusinessWeek.

The findings come as the Pentagon prepares to send another 21,500 troops to Iraq and as Democratic leaders levy threats to restrict funding for a war that's already cost about $500 billion. The Army alone expects to spend an extra $70 billion on an additional 65,000 permanent troops from fiscal year 2009 through 2013. According to Army officials, $18 billion of that will be spent on equipment.

The Inspector General found that the Pentagon hasn't been able to properly equip the soldiers it already has. Many have gone without enough guns, ammunition, and other necessary supplies to "effectively complete their missions" and have had to cancel or postpone some assignments while waiting for the proper gear, according to the report from auditors with the Defense Dept. Inspector General's office. Soldiers have also found themselves short on body armor, armored vehicles, and communications equipment, among other things, auditors found.

http://www.businessweek.com/print/bwdaily/...0130_624241.htm

What a load of horse crap...these guys all have body armor, knee and elbow pads...water bladders in their packs...kevlar helmets; goggles and now most of the humvees are armored...just like I was much better equipped for battle than my older brother in Vietnam, my Dad in WW2 and my grandad in WW1; these guys are much better equipped than i ever was....i used web gear from Vietnam 10 years afterwards; and ate C-rats that were canned over 10 years earlier...it's a war...equipment gets beat up, lost and just plain worn out....

I have no complaints. I've been thru 3 seperate Rapid Fielding Initiatives (RFI) in the last three years and am about to go thru my fourth. The Army hands out tons of cool stuff at RFI and most of it you get to keep even after you get out.

Look, the personal armor we have is pretty good but even then so there's only so much you can do to protect against an IED comprised of 5 or more 155mm howitzer shells daisy chained together. If personal armor were to get much thicker or bulkier then it would become impractical.

The inspector general sure wasn't concerned that were were under equipped while Jimmah Carter was screwing things up.

Well, it's no big deal . If we believe John Kerry, the troops are too stupid to even know the difference.

Archived