What is their religion?

Tiger Al

What is this fixation by some on the right with other peoples religious preference?

LIMBAUGH: Interesting point. Now, let me say something else that might be accused of cynicism: What is their religion? I don't doubt they're religious people, but, we talked about this. Political people are different than you and I. And, you know, most people when told a family member's been diagnosed with the kind of cancer Elizabeth Edwards has, they turn to God. The Edwards turned to the campaign.

Their religion is politics and the quest for the White House. And that's -- it's not just with them, I mean, it's part and parcel of political people -- undergo all this stuff, the media anal all over their private life being made public even by the candidates themselves -- it's all part of the drill.

But here, again, Matthews and David Yepsen making the point that I made yesterday. I said it yesterday, folks. If you're Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton, how do you now attack John Edwards? Not a problem for Hillary, the Clinton [inaudible] will find a way. But Barack, it's going to be a challenge.

On the March 23 edition of his nationally syndicated radio show, Rush Limbaugh told listeners that former Sen. John Edwards (D-NC) and his wife Elizabeth are "political people [who] are different than you and I." Referring to the couple's March 22 announcement that Elizabeth Edwards has Stage IV metastatic breast cancer, Limbaugh said: "[M]ost people, when told a family member's been diagnosed with the kind of cancer Elizabeth Edwards has, they turn to God. The Edwards turned to the campaign. Their religion is politics and the quest for the White House." Limbaugh later asked: "If you're [sen.] Barack Obama [D-IL] or [sen.] Hillary Clinton [D-NY], how do you now attack John Edwards?" Limbaugh added: "Not a problem for Hillary, the Clinton [inaudible] will find a way. But Barack, it's going to be a challenge."

Limbaugh then gives us a glimpse at what makes him tick. He asks, "If you're [sen.] Barack Obama [D-IL] or [sen.] Hillary Clinton [D-NY], how do you now attack John Edwards?" Limbaugh's method of attack is character assasination. He never attacks issues (other than superficially) and now he's not sure how one can attack Edwards without appearing badly.

LINK

I guess I have to disagree with Rush Limbaugh here. Can't the Edwards "turn to God" and STILL campaign. Or maybe they don't believe in God, I don't know. If not, that's their perogative. I couldn't care less. And if they do then maybe they're doing both. It's really no one's business other than the Edwards'. Apparently they think the cancer is not serious enough to keep Sen. Edwards from campaigning and that's a decision they made as husband and wife.

How do you attack Sen. Edwards? Easy. You attack him on the issues. Show his shortcomings and faults and how you'd make a better President than him. Don't feel sorry for him on the campaign trail just because his wife is sick. He made the decision to press on so continue the fight against him just as if his wife were healthy. Sure, show sympathy for what she's going thru but the fact that she's sick is a moot point in the race for the White House.

And I'm on the right and I'm NOT fixated on anyone's religious preference. You can be Jewish, Christian, Hindu, Shinto...I really don't care as long your ideas, your outlook, and your morals fall in line with mine. But I wouldn't vote for a muslim....ever. But that's my perogative.

I guess I have to disagree with Rush Limbaugh here. Can't the Edwards "turn to God" and STILL campaign. Or maybe they don't believe in God, I don't know. If not, that's their perogative. I couldn't care less. And if they do then maybe they're doing both. It's really no one's business other than the Edwards'. Apparently they think the cancer is not serious enough to keep Sen. Edwards from campaigning and that's a decision they made as husband and wife.

How do you attack Sen. Edwards? Easy. You attack him on the issues. Show his shortcomings and faults and how you'd make a better President than him. Don't feel sorry for him on the campaign trail just because his wife is sick. He made the decision to press on so continue the fight against him just as if his wife were healthy. Sure, show sympathy for what she's going thru but the fact that she's sick is a moot point in the race for the White House.

And I'm on the right and I'm NOT fixated on anyone's religious preference. You can be Jewish, Christian, Hindu, Shinto...I really don't care as long your ideas, your outlook, and your morals fall in line with mine. But I wouldn't vote for a muslim....ever. But that's my perogative.

I agree wholeheartedly with you, especially on how you attack Edwards (or any candidate) which is on the issues. That's not what Limbaugh does, though.

I agree wholeheartedly with you, especially on how you attack Edwards (or any candidate) which is on the issues. That's not what Limbaugh does, though.

I'm about as much a fan of Rush Limbaugh as most liberals are of Alan Colmes. But he is spot on sometimes in what he says. But you have to admit that political commentators on BOTH sides of the aisle are guilty of the same tactic. It isn't just Limbaugh so let's not put the spotlight solely on him.

I'm about as much a fan of Rush Limbaugh as most liberals are of Alan Colmes. But he is spot on sometimes in what he says. But you have to admit that political commentators on BOTH sides of the aisle are guilty of the same tactic. It isn't just Limbaugh so let's not put the spotlight solely on him.

alan colmes is a pathetic excuse for a liberal. I think his sole purpose on H&c is to set them up so Hannity can knock them down.

The left doesn't have nearly the political opinionists as the right does and the ones we do, I probably tend to listen less critically to than the Hannitys, Limbaughs, etc.

I was listening to Hannity on the radio last October and he was talking about the Mark Foley thing. It was as if almost everything he said was crap and I was amazed how many people called in agreeing with him. It was amazing.

alan colmes is a pathetic excuse for a liberal. I think his sole purpose on H&c is to set them up so Hannity can knock them down.

Yeah, he gets beat up a lot on TV but c'mon, it's FOX. I have listened to his radio program several times and he's a bit more of a fire eater on there than he is on TV but that's because he's the star of the show.

The left doesn't have nearly the political opinionists as the right does

Since Air America went tits up I'd have to agree with you. ;)

I was listening to Hannity on the radio last October and he was talking about the Mark Foley thing. It was as if almost everything he said was crap and I was amazed how many people called in agreeing with him. It was amazing.

Aw c'mon. Hannity isn't all that bad. He's a little stubborn and hard headed at time but he means well. My only beef with him is when he gets stuck on trivial things that aren't important like ANS. But he's a good guy I think. Last night on the show they had the former Canadian ambassador to Iran and a former Marine hostage during the Iranian hostage crisis when Carter was President. It was sort of funny. I think Hannity was expecting the Marine to take his side but wound up agreeing with the Canadian 90% of the time. I chuckled, actually. Hannity also did an interview with Giuliani which was pretty good. He asked a few question that weren't softballs at all.

I am not a Limbaugh or Hannity fan and I agree with both of you on the Edwards thing. I would have to disagree though with Liger on the Muslim for president. I think Islam is a peaceful religion full of good people just as Christianity is. I think both have been hijacked to a certain extent by radicals. I am a Christian who shutters when one claiming to be Christian acts like an ass in the name of their faith. I don't know for sure what I would do if given the option between a candidate that was Muslim and one that was Atheist, but all other things being equal I would probably vote for the Muslim. Knowing that person answers to a higher power goes a long way with me. All other things being equal, I would vote for a Christian over a Muslim or any other religion.

But to question the Edwards, as it appears Limbaugh was doing, is ludicrous.

The left doesn't have nearly the political opinionists as the right does and the ones we do, I probably tend to listen less critically to than the Hannitys, Limbaughs, etc.

WHAT? Are you kidding me?

The talking heads of most network news broadcasts are leftist shills. They and their teams decide how news is spun. Katie Couric is ten times the danger Rush Limbaugh is, because she doesn't attack and people don't see her as biased -- when she clearly is. People like her get to direct how news is presented. That isn't frighening to you?

Most of the Hollywood scum from actors to directors to producers are leftists. They can use their television shows and movies to insidiously interject political agendas without attacking anything. They're 100 times more dangerous than the Rush Limbaugh's of the world. The vast majority of the country was adamantly opposed to gay issues 20 years ago. The leftists realized that the best way to advance this agenda was to use Hollywood's influence to flood the airwaves and fill the theaters with fare that presented gays in a positive light. Will and Grace. Spin City. Any number of other shows. People are, by and large, dumb. They don't bother to think for themselves. So they sit at home and watch drivel like Will and Grace and think to themselves that maybe gay ain't so bad, them gay boys sure are funny. Moral deviance is presented as a normal, natural rational thing. And like Bama's 12 NC lie, it becomes ingrained. People start to take it as valid. They hear their screen idols like the idiot Clooney and the despicable Streisand babbling about topics on which they have no knowledge and take what they say at face value. When these idiots start talking politics, it's no different than when they advertise deodorant or toothpaste. There is a certain segment of the population that will buy that deodorant because Clooney says it works -- completely discounting the fact that Clooney has probably never used it, has an assitant that puts deodorant on him every morning, and was only saying what somebody told him to say for the camera.

Rush Limbaugh is easy to attack. He's flawed on many levels as are his tactics. I don't necessarily agree with him on many topics and don't think he's the best person to be one of the standard bearers for the right. But if this country has any hope of retaining its moral compass there HAVE to be people from the right. people like Limbaugh, to stand against the churning tide that comes from the left-controlled media and entertainment industry.

Archived