Finebaum on Les Miles

BAMMERPERRY

I can't imagine why a single lsu fan would want saban back with miles performance. Couple that with the facts that miles is recruiting extremely well at lsu(because anyone can), sabans slightly above average years other than the mnc year, and sabans meltdown at miami and they may have been lucky in a way that he bolted when he did. Only more time will tell.

No way I'd want him back.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LSU fans would give their right testicle to have Saban back.

That's funny coming from a program like bama. I go tired of Saban's flirting with other jobs every year and was glad to see him go. He will not stay at Bama long either. The man did a great job at LSU, no doubt and I am glad that he started the run we are on, but I would not want him back as a coach. How can anyone take him seriously when he talks to you about loyalty, commitment and team first? He has never shown any of those qualities and Coach Miles certainly does. :rollin:

What about Oklahoma State? Miles left them. Just because nobody wants him, doesn't make him some "loyal, committed, and honorable" man. He's had one of, if not THE, best teams in the nation over the past two years and hasn't won a conference championship. He didn't even win the frikkin division this past season.

Face it. Your fanbase's eyes never got above Saban's belt when he was at LSU, but now he's enemy number one. Give me a break.

The truth about Miles...

In December 2004, while in San Antonio ostensibly preparing his 7-4 OSU team to face Ohio State in the Alamo Bowl, Miles met with officials from LSU to interview for the Tigers' Head Coaching position. When questioned about his interest in that job, Miles denied meeting with LSU representatives and denied interest in the job. Nonetheless, days after his Cowboy team was routed 33-7 by Ohio State, Miles resigned to take the LSU job.

So, he meets with LSU officials while he's supposed to be preparing for a bowl game, denies it, and then leaves days later?

That's funny coming from a program like bama. I go tired of Saban's flirting with other jobs every year and was glad to see him go. He will not stay at Bama long either. The man did a great job at LSU, no doubt and I am glad that he started the run we are on, but I would not want him back as a coach. How can anyone take him seriously when he talks to you about loyalty, commitment and team first? He has never shown any of those qualities and Coach Miles certainly does. :rollin:

What about Oklahoma State? Miles left them. Just because nobody wants him, doesn't make him some "loyal, committed, and honorable" man. He's had one of, if not THE, best teams in the nation over the past two years and hasn't won a conference championship. He didn't even win the frikkin division this past season.

Face it. Your fanbase's eyes never got above Saban's belt when he was at LSU, but now he's enemy number one. Give me a break.

The truth about Miles...

In December 2004, while in San Antonio ostensibly preparing his 7-4 OSU team to face Ohio State in the Alamo Bowl, Miles met with officials from LSU to interview for the Tigers' Head Coaching position. When questioned about his interest in that job, Miles denied meeting with LSU representatives and denied interest in the job. Nonetheless, days after his Cowboy team was routed 33-7 by Ohio State, Miles resigned to take the LSU job.

So, he meets with LSU officials while he's supposed to be preparing for a bowl game, denies it, and then leaves days later?

I've been gone for a couple of days and a few things to note:

1. Thanks for giving Miles alittle credit. I've said it many times, ask Ron Zook if you can win off of talent alone.

2. I wouldn't give up my right nut for Saban. He's an awesome coach, but was outcoached MULTIPLE times during his tenure at LSU even when our roster was loaded. (UF 03,UAB 00,UF01,Troy State04,BAMA 02, Ole Piss 04..etc. etc.). I also believe Miles is a better recruiter than Saban.(No Bamaperry, he didn't still Luther Davis from LSU :roflol: )

3. Will Miles be upset during his time at LSU? YES. It's the SEC people.Even Spurrier can be outcoached on any given Saturday. (I believe he lost to a horribe MSU team in 92' when UF was very good that year).

Overall, besides Bamaperry being his usual delusional self, a good thread nonetheless. :thumbsup:

I go tired of Saban's flirting with other jobs every year and was glad to see him go.

Meter.gif

No BS their, look what Miles has done. He took a team that Saban led to a 9-4 record losing to Iowa in a bowl game and we have gone 22-4 with Saban's players. Miles has done better with Saban's players than Saban did with them.

Miles has done better with Saban's players than Saban did with them.

True. Miles has a boatload of SEC Titles to show for them.

:lsu: fans, do you think :lsu: would come after Saban if Miles did leave?

Silly Question....a better one would be if when he comes down in 08, will there be snipers on campus gunning for him? Would that be enough time for Boudreaux and Thibodaux to get their hands on some SAMs to stake out the local airport?

I have to disagree somewhat here. Saban was never a legend in the minds of LSU fans because he wasn't there long enough.

As an LSU fan...I would have to disagree...we REVERED SABAN. If he had stayed a couple of years more, we would have outplayed Bama with the Bear and officially founded a new religion. While I agree he wasn't quite here long enough to form a lasting legacy....until he ruined it with the Bama move....he was a legend-in-waiting as far as LSU fans were concerned.

LSU got their butts kicked that night because we were the better team that night. We beat them down the year before as well.....

04 and 05 were two different monsters. In 04, we were a talented team with no real identity...so we had lackluster performance...so the cohesive team of UGA went after us.

05....we were simply running out of gas from the physical and mental strains Katrina caused (remember...we didn't have a single off week.....EVERYONE was hurt to some degree. Hell, Russell had a partially torn ligament since the UF game.) Rewatching the games from that season...it is clear the warning light started to flash at the Bama game, and we were running on fumes for Arky.

We leveled Miami mostly because we were able to stop and heal up for a month.

Miles has done better with Saban's players than Saban did with them.

True. Miles has a boatload of SEC Titles to show for them.

People....he's been here 2 FREAKING YEARS. Even if he had won both years...would that be a "boatload?"

And even then, one of those years must be pardoned considering Katrina...you know, that year when he still managed to do things no LSU coach has EVER done. And we were a couple of bad calls away from probably going to Atlanta again this past year to have another go for UF to go on to level OSU.

Same with his protest of the pass interference ruling in the Auburn/LSU game. He never got that a tipped ball negates a pass interferance call in that situation and thought balls can only be tipped at the line of scrimmage.

Er...really don't want to turn the thread into that old debate, but two comments:

1)He was asking about the officiating in general...it is just that the media focused primarily on the famous last one for some reason. There were some undeniably bad calls earlier in the game IMO (Hester conversion/Lafell endzone holding) along with a number of others that could go either way....but consistantly went against LSU.

2) Interference occurred before the tip, therefore the occurring of a tip is meaningless. End of story as far as the rule book is concerned.

But yeah....besides that old bugbear, I agree. I was going WTF about the challenge rule and him not knowing it.

The truth about Miles...

win you should know by now, its okay for everyone else to do it. personally, i didn't know that little tidbit of info. as far as the LSU fans go, anyone who took a peek at tigerdroppings in the days after saban was hired at bama would know the deal. they would have burned him at the stake if they could have. they were claiming that now alabama was their biggest rival, etc etc. there was alot of hate over there, but to be fair there were some level headed folks that were like "guys who cares? he hasn't been our coach for years". we'll see who is still on the les miles bandwagon in 2-3 years.

we'll see who is still on the Saban bandwagon in 2-3 years.

Fixed it for you....Alabama is FAR more likely to turn on Saban in that period than LSU fans on Miles short of a meltdown that many Bama fans seem to believe will occur.

Meanwhile, Alabama has set nearly impossible goals....or more to the point, they have set these goals to occur in an nearly impossible timeframe....meaning now.

Hell, we've had numerous Bama trolls with handles derived from Bama SEC Champs 07.

Fixed it for you....Alabama is FAR more likely to turn on Saban in that period than LSU fans on Miles short of a meltdown that many Bama fans seem to believe will occur.

Meanwhile, Alabama has set nearly impossible goals....or more to the point, they have set these goals to occur in an nearly impossible timeframe....meaning now.

Hell, we've had numerous Bama trolls with handles derived from Bama SEC Champs 07.

i'll go out on a pretty big limb and say that there will be a meltdown at LSU before CNS ever leaves bama. everyone can remember that, i certainly don't mind putting my money where my mouth is.

i don't think the majority of our fans have set impossible goals, as much as the media and rival fanbases have dictated to us what we will think and do.

you've had those handles on tigerdroppings or another board? i lurk tigerdroppings pretty often and haven't seen any.

i'll go out on a pretty big limb and say that there will be a meltdown at LSU before CNS ever leaves bama. everyone can remember that, i certainly don't mind putting my money where my mouth is.

i don't think the majority of our fans have set impossible goals, as much as the media and rival fanbases have dictated to us what we will think and do.

you've had those handles on tigerdroppings or another board? i lurk tigerdroppings pretty often and haven't seen any.

If you lived here in Decatur, you would have a COMPLETELY different opinion. 9 wins would be a bad season to most I know. 10 and they wont complain, wont be happy but wont complain. They are counting the days to the SECCG and ready to buy tickets now.

As far as my understanding, Joe Scarborough, Bama grad went on PFS and said: "Get a blank check, get on a plane, fly to Miami, dont take no as an answer (from Saban), tell him we want 3BCS Titles in 5 years."

i'll go out on a pretty big limb and say that there will be a meltdown at LSU before CNS ever leaves bama.

Let's see here, Miles has left only one team. How many teams has the great Sabear left? :poke:

i'll go out on a pretty big limb and say that there will be a meltdown at LSU before CNS ever leaves bama.

Let's see here, Miles has left only one team. How many teams has the great Sabear left? :poke:

so its his fault that he's good enough to get better offers to better himself and his family?

if everyone always offered CTT better deals it would be a sure sign that the nation has taken notice of a great program, etc etc.

so its his fault that he's good enough to get better offers to better himself and his family?

if everyone always offered CTT better deals it would be a sure sign that the nation has taken notice of a great program, etc etc.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Just don't come crying over here when he's gone and Papa-High hat is still in Red Stick.....

People....he's been here 2 FREAKING YEARS. Even if he had won both years...would that be a "boatload?"

Agreed. It has only been 2 years and Miles has not done badly either year. But he hasn't won the SEC yet not has he ever won a conference title....so I am just not sure how someone can say Miles has done better than Saban.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. Just don't come crying over here when he's gone and Papa-High hat is still in Red Stick.....

what will happen if in 3 years CTT rides out in his pine box without winning yall a MNC? if a team came along and offered him say a million a year more to coach for them and he left, how would you feel? what if another team offers him a million more then AU counters that and offers him 1.5 mil.....THEN is it OK for a coach to be getting paid around 4 mil? i'm just saying, i think there is always a possibility of a good coach getting a better offer from somewhere. now, who would top 4 million i don't know. but in CTT's case he would have room to get around 4 million. if he took another coaching job that was paying him more would he be just a terrible guy then?

what will happen if in 3 years CTT rides out in his pine box without winning yall a MNC? if a team came along and offered him say a million a year more to coach for them and he left, how would you feel? what if another team offers him a million more then AU counters that and offers him 1.5 mil.....THEN is it OK for a coach to be getting paid around 4 mil? i'm just saying, i think there is always a possibility of a good coach getting a better offer from somewhere. now, who would top 4 million i don't know. but in CTT's case he would have room to get around 4 million. if he took another coaching job that was paying him more would he be just a terrible guy then?

What's CTT's longest tenure with a team? What's Sabear's? Keep trying RWS.....

Just remember something, we were right about Fran as well. Cussed about being right, but right nonetheless...

But is CTT's tenure so long because of his loyalty to Auburn or because no other school has tried to hire him? I don't blame him for staying where he is, because you have a good team, and he makes a lot of money, but it's easy to stay where you are when no one else offers you any better(money wise). How can you judge Coach Saban for leaving for more money when the only time that CTT was offered more money by another school he took it, and also lied to that school and its fans.

I think all coaches would do the same thing. One thing that we as fans have to realize. These men are just doing a job. They are not members of our families, and their first loyalty is to their own families, and they have to do the best they can to provide for that family. If you are looking for another job, do you tell your present employer, and wouldn't you leave if you got a better offer?

But is CTT's tenure so long because of his loyalty to Auburn or because no other school has tried to hire him? I don't blame him for staying where he is, because you have a good team, and he makes a lot of money, but it's easy to stay where you are when no one else offers you any better(money wise). How can you judge Coach Saban for leaving for more money when the only time that CTT was offered more money by another school he took it, and also lied to that school and its fans.

I think all coaches would do the same thing. One thing that we as fans have to realize. These men are just doing a job. They are not members of our families, and their first loyalty is to their own families, and they have to do the best they can to provide for that family. If you are looking for another job, do you tell your present employer, and wouldn't you leave if you got a better offer?

BMH, spoken like a true tide fan. First, CTT is leaving every other week for TAMU, Dallas, Arkansas, (insert name of school or NFL team here). Now, no one wants him. You guys are a hoot, I'll give you that...

Coach Nick Suitcase is now at a program that has hired 8 coaches in 25 years for an average of 3.125 years/coach. Even if you take out Price and say only 7 coaches, you still AVERAGE 3.6 years a coach. BTW, we have had only three in the same time. We average 8.3 years a coach. BMH, maybe it isnt the coaches that are the deciding factor here. Maybe it is the Fans. Maybe it is the constantly overblown expectations. Dont even try to say things are different this year. I know 92K that say that they arent.

BMH, spoken like a true tide fan. First, CTT is leaving every other week for TAMU, Dallas, Arkansas, (insert name of school or NFL team here). Now, no one wants him. You guys are a hoot, I'll give you that...

Coach Nick Suitcase is now at a program that has hired 8 coaches in 25 years for an average of 3.125 years/coach. Even if you take out Price and say only 7 coaches, you still AVERAGE 3.6 years a coach. BTW, we have had only three in the same time. We average 8.3 years a coach. BMH, maybe it isnt the coaches that are the deciding factor here. Maybe it is the Fans. Maybe it is the constantly overblown expectations. Dont even try to say things are different this year. I know 92K that say that they arent.

I did not mean this as an insult to your coach or program. Only in the press does the speculation come that CTT is going to TAMU, Dallas, Ar(insert name of school or NFL team). There have been no official offers where CTT has to turn them down or say he is not interested. Don't get me wrong, I would be the first to admit that I am jealous that you are able to have a good coach this long and win a lot of games. The only coach that we would have had for a long period of time was Shula, because no one else wanted him.

The point that I was trying to make was, how can anyone judge our coach for leaving to take more money , when their coach has not been given the same opportunity. You do not know what he would do.

I can only speak for myself, and I love my job and the people that I work with, but if someone came and offered me more money and I felt it was for the good of my family. I would be out of here by noon, and I really wouldn't care if they were happy about it or not.

I did not mean this as an insult to your coach or program. Only in the press does the speculation come that CTT is going to TAMU, Dallas, Ar(insert name of school or NFL team). There have been no official offers where CTT has to turn them down or say he is not interested. Don't get me wrong, I would be the first to admit that I am jealous that you are able to have a good coach this long and win a lot of games. The only coach that we would have had for a long period of time was Shula, because no one else wanted him.

The point that I was trying to make was, how can anyone judge our coach for leaving to take more money , when their coach has not been given the same opportunity. You do not know what he would do.

I can only speak for myself, and I love my job and the people that I work with, but if someone came and offered me more money and I felt it was for the good of my family. I would be out of here by noon, and I really wouldn't care if they were happy about it or not.

Everytime there is a job opening in the NFL (see Cowboys job and Falcons job this past year) we have a Bama fan come on here and talk about CTT leaving. Have you guys ever thought CTT tells them thanks but no thanks before it ever gets started?

Couple of things I want to say here,

1st You also don't hear of anyone trying to hire Jim Tressell, Mark Richt, Phil Fulmer, or many of the other top level coaches at the top level universities. Why leave a top ten program, I mean where besides the NFL (and we've seen what happens there) would be attractive to a coach like Tubberville?

2nd Let's look at a similiar situation in our conference. Coach Spurrier left a great program at florida with a national championship and more conference titles than satan had at LSU, went to the nfl, was a flop, came back to the sec, same division different school and hasn't been as dominate this time around. Bama fans, do you see what I'm trying to say here?

Archived