Finebaum on Les Miles

BAMMERPERRY

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim Varney, comedic genius or misunderstood funnyman?

I personally like watching Ernest P Worrell. The slapstick humor appeals to the juvenile side of me. My favorite movie out of the bunch is Ernest goes to jail.

So if you're paying attention, coach Miles, take some friendly advice. Call your agent. Tell him to start checking the yellow pages for some potential coaching openings. You will likely have another good year at LSU. But time is short.

My favorite part of the article. If Les is smart, he'll start speaking with bammer now...the "potential coaching opening" is no doubt Bama in about 3 years.

ole paul is playing to his audience w/ that one....

maybe so, but he's spot on, IMO.

PF has it out for Miles.

You guys that are bashing Miles do realize he had a better record at Okie State than the great Jimmy Johnson? Yes he's a little odd, but he's a pretty darn good coach......

It is blatantly obvious what he is doing. Step one: Make excuse why Les Miles is doing well. Step Two: Use Excuse when they beat UAT in 2007. Rinse repeat with every SEC team. It is rather sad.

I have never understood the Les bashing. I'm no LSU fan, but give me one indication that the LSU program is headed for the toilet. Sure, he came into a loaded situation, but what has he done to weaken it since he got there? As it turns out, on paper, he is a better recruiter than Saban. The guy just finished number three in the nation and turned in a top five recruiting class. That really looks like a team headed for the trash heap, doesn't it?

Give me a break, bammerperry, Finebaum, and all the rest of the bammer idiots just WANT to see Les fail so they can attribute LSU's success to Saban.

Get a life, losers, it ain't gonna happen.

I personally like watching Ernest P Worrell. The slapstick humor appeals to the juvenile side of me. My favorite movie out of the bunch is Ernest goes to jail.

I personally enjoyed watching Ernest go all Michael Jordan as a basketball star. I forget the name of that one though.

He was funnier than Larry the Cable Guy could ever be IMO. Of course, my 5 year old is funnier than that husker windbag.

I personally enjoyed watching Ernest go all Michael Jordan as a basketball star. I forget the name of that one though.

He was funnier than Larry the Cable Guy could ever be IMO. Of course, my 5 year old is funnier than that husker windbag.

Slam Dunk Ernest.

And Kareem Abdul Jabaar was his costar.

Slam Dunk Ernest.

What's your vector Victor? B)

Has Paul even did any research on the four guys drafted? Saban didn't develop these players into NFL prospects. Miles did.

D. Bowe 2003-9 for 106 yds 0 TD

2004-39 for 597 yds 5 TD

versus the Miles years

2005-LSU’s leading receiver with 41 receptions for 710 yards and 9 touchdowns

2006-Led the Tigers in receiving with 65 receptions for 990 yards and a school-record 12 touchdowns

Russell 2003-Redshirt 2004-Served as Marcus Randall's backup for most of 2004 ... Played in 11 games, starting four times ... 73-of-144 passes for 1,053 yards, 9 touchdowns and 4 interceptions

vs. the Miles years....

2005-LSU’s starting quarterback for first 12 in 2005 and fashioned a 10-2 record as the starter,188-of-311 passes for 2,443 yards, 15 touchdowns and just 9 interceptions

2006-First-team All-SEC by both the AP and the SEC Coaches, Led the SEC and ranked third in the NCAA in passing efficiency (167.0) ... Completed 232-of-342 passes (67.8 percent) for 3,129 yards and a school-record tying 28 touchdowns with eight interceptions this season ... His 67.8 completion percentage set the LSU single-season mark, while his 3,129 yards ranks second in school history

Landry- actually had better numbers in 2003 and 2004 (maybe the Defensive Coordinator play calling?)

C. Davis

2003 7 rec 63 yds 0 td

2004 43 rec 649 yds 1 td

vs Miles years....

2005 35 rec 559 yds 2 td

2006 2 56 rec 836 yds 4 td

Pittman...went in the 7th round

2003-played at Texas

2004-sat out due to transfer rule

vs. the Miles years....

2005-Finished with 34 tackles including 7 tackles for loss and 3 sacks

2006-Finished year with 27 tackles, 6.5 tackles for losses and 5.5 sacks ... Added a pair of quarterback hurries, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery

My conclusion is Miles didn't have any true stand-out All-American types inherited from Saban's roster in 2005. These guys were not NFL types there Freshman/Sohp years, so Saban should be given no credit for where they went in the draft. The other arguement can be made, "Why didn't Saban have a better record in 2005, he had 3 future 1st rounders setting on the sidelines?"

Miles did develop some very good players that Saban had recruited into All-American/1st Rounders that they became at the conclusion of the 2006 season. And as far as the arguement of Russell developing into the 1st round pick after he 'distanced' hisself from Miles........Paul did you watch the freaking Sugar Bowl? Russell was at best a 2nd -3rd round guy before the Sugar Bowl, Miles unleashed him to blow up Notre Dame

"Capped junior season by leading the Tigers to a 41-14 win over Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl ... Named the MVP of the Sugar Bowl after throwing for a career-best 332 yards and two touchdowns in the victory ... Also rushed for a score against the Irish ... Finished the game by connected on 21 of 34 passes". In football termology, this called, "letting it all hang-out". Paul wouldn't know anything about that.

And all the school records he set at LSU where not while he was playing for Saban.

Sorry, I don't see where Saban can take any credit for the development and coaching of these guys.

Has Paul even did any research on the four guys drafted? Saban didn't develop these players into NFL prospects. Miles did.

D. Bowe 2003-9 for 106 yds 0 TD

2004-39 for 597 yds 5 TD

versus the Miles years

2005-LSU’s leading receiver with 41 receptions for 710 yards and 9 touchdowns

2006-Led the Tigers in receiving with 65 receptions for 990 yards and a school-record 12 touchdowns

Russell 2003-Redshirt 2004-Served as Marcus Randall's backup for most of 2004 ... Played in 11 games, starting four times ... 73-of-144 passes for 1,053 yards, 9 touchdowns and 4 interceptions

vs. the Miles years....

2005-LSU’s starting quarterback for first 12 in 2005 and fashioned a 10-2 record as the starter,188-of-311 passes for 2,443 yards, 15 touchdowns and just 9 interceptions

2006-First-team All-SEC by both the AP and the SEC Coaches, Led the SEC and ranked third in the NCAA in passing efficiency (167.0) ... Completed 232-of-342 passes (67.8 percent) for 3,129 yards and a school-record tying 28 touchdowns with eight interceptions this season ... His 67.8 completion percentage set the LSU single-season mark, while his 3,129 yards ranks second in school history

Landry- actually had better numbers in 2003 and 2004 (maybe the Defensive Coordinator play calling?)

C. Davis

2003 7 rec 63 yds 0 td

2004 43 rec 649 yds 1 td

vs Miles years....

2005 35 rec 559 yds 2 td

2006 2 56 rec 836 yds 4 td

Pittman...went in the 7th round

2003-played at Texas

2004-sat out due to transfer rule

vs. the Miles years....

2005-Finished with 34 tackles including 7 tackles for loss and 3 sacks

2006-Finished year with 27 tackles, 6.5 tackles for losses and 5.5 sacks ... Added a pair of quarterback hurries, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery

My conclusion is Miles didn't have any true stand-out All-American types inherited from Saban's roster in 2005. These guys were not NFL types there Freshman/Sohp years, so Saban should be given no credit for where they went in the draft. The other arguement can be made, "Why didn't Saban have a better record in 2005, he had 3 future 1st rounders setting on the sidelines?"

Miles did develop some very good players that Saban had recruited into All-American/1st Rounders that they became at the conclusion of the 2006 season. And as far as the arguement of Russell developing into the 1st round pick after he 'distanced' hisself from Miles........Paul did you watch the freaking Sugar Bowl? Russell was at best a 2nd -3rd round guy before the Sugar Bowl, Miles unleashed him to blow up Notre Dame

"Capped junior season by leading the Tigers to a 41-14 win over Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl ... Named the MVP of the Sugar Bowl after throwing for a career-best 332 yards and two touchdowns in the victory ... Also rushed for a score against the Irish ... Finished the game by connected on 21 of 34 passes". In football termology, this called, "letting it all hang-out". Paul wouldn't know anything about that.

And all the school records he set at LSU where not while he was playing for Saban.

Sorry, I don't see where Saban can take any credit for the development and coaching of these guys.

I agree with you, but remeber that LSU had Skyler Green in 03' and 04' and Michael Clayton in 03'. They've been pretty loaded at the WR positon......

Slam Dunk Ernest.

What's your vector Victor? B)

Ever seen a grown man naked, Billy?

After watching a few games ol' Les has coached, he may be good at recruiting and actually picking plays but he has a notable weakness with the rules of the game.

After a challenge flag in the Sugar bowl he actually asked the ref if he got his challenge back when his challenge succeeded. This is the 13th game of the saeson and second season the challenge rules have existed and the guy didn't understand them. Same with his protest of the pass interference ruling in the Auburn/LSU game. He never got that a tipped ball negates a pass interferance call in that situation and thought balls can only be tipped at the line of scrimmage.

He might be alright as a coach but he doesn't have a grasp on the rulebook. I think this year will be the true measure of the man.

(btw, this is my first post here but I have been trolling for over a year. Just htought I would chime in on this thread even though its a BP subject redirect thread.)

While I do think Les has benefited from Saban's players, I think he's still a pretty good coach.

I just don't know if he's a "next level" coach.

I'm sure Les Miles cares what some talking head from Alabama tells him. Finebaum, get a life, is there really nothing else that you can talk about besides other SEC coaches fearing Saban?

Joey...do you like movies about gladiators?

(I didn't start it, so cut me some slack, Jack.) B)

What's the topic--oh yeah, Finebaum. I'm wondering how many consecutive Saban-lovin' columns he can possibly write. Isn't it up to 3 or 4 now?

Bamaperry + Finebaum = Bama Bobo Honking! :big:

First off, welcome Fanatic. Post often and avoid the rush..hate BP early. :big:

I've said before that I think Miles is a good coach and like someone earlier said, there are no indications that LSU is heading in the wrong direction. There may be a lot of Saban's players there but you still have to coach them. You don't just throw the ball out there and say, "Go play. And don't forget to make me look good."

You have to look at the overall package when evaluating a head coach. All have their own strengths and weaknesses. Lord knows, I've had times when I looked at a decision CTT made and went WTF was THAT? With Tuberville, you have to look at the whole program and where Auburn is on a national level. Miles was successful at Okie State and so far, he's done nothing to indicate he won't be successful at LSU either.

I wish he WOULD flop. But it probably ain't gonna' happen.

Guys, I cant figure this out. I know :lsu: fans that are adamant that Miles is a loser even though he won 22.

I know he must be a pretty good coach. We debated this earlier. While at OSU, he made a career out of whipping Stoops.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Miles

Miles took over and went 4-7 his first year, but then went 8-5, 9-4, and 7-5 -- taking his team to the Houston Bowl, the Cotton Bowl, and the Alamo Bowl.

During the last game of Miles' first season as head coach, OSU faced Oklahoma, who was ranked #4 in the nation. Despite the fact that OSU was facing Oklahoma on the road, Miles led his team to an astonishing 16-13 upset victory over the Sooners with a 4-7 TEAM!!!! (who ended up finishing the season ranked #6 after winning the Cotton Bowl).

During Miles's second season, OSU again ended the regular season with a game against Oklahoma. This time Oklahoma was ranked the #3 team in the country. And yet again, Miles led his team to a 38-28 upset victory over the Sooners (who ended up finishing the season ranked #5 after winning the Rose Bowl). As a result of his performance during his second year, Miles was named the Big 12 Conference Coach of the Year by the Associated Press in 2002.

So, all he did at OSU was whip Stoops two in a row with a pathetic team. Nah, he cant coach at all....

IF/WHEN Miles goes to Michigan, wait for the bidding war over Saban with :lsu: to start. Remember too, there is no pressure at :lsu: like there is at Bama and the recruiting is far easier.

Should keep the Bammies listening for another week or two.

On a side note, has anyone thought or heard that Les Miles wears makeup on the sideline? I'm not talking drag queen blush and mascara, but more like makeup a male news reporter would have on. I have no real evidence other than some LSU coworkers said it's been rumored for a while, and I've seen Miles' face on tv and I would say it's probable.

LSU won't touch Saban or vice versa. Go read an LSU board for validation.

Michigan won't hire that dope Les Miles, either.

Archived