Finebaum on Les Miles

BAMMERPERRY

IF/WHEN Miles goes to Michigan, wait for the bidding war over Saban with to start. Remember too, there is no pressure at like there is at Bama and the recruiting is far easier.

David you actually prefaced what I was about to post.

I think the reason Miles isn't as respected as he should be is because he hasn't been embraced by his own fan base. Saban was a legend in the minds of LSU fans and we all know what happens to the next guy that has to follow a legend. (in Bama's case the next 8) Up until Bama hiring Saban, the fan support for Miles was very minimal. When he leaves LSU for the Michigan job, he's national reputation will change for the good.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IF/WHEN Miles goes to Michigan, wait for the bidding war over Saban with to start. Remember too, there is no pressure at like there is at Bama and the recruiting is far easier.

David you actually prefaced what I was about to post.

I think the reason Miles isn't as respected as he should be is because he hasn't been embraced by his own fan base. Saban was a legend in the minds of LSU fans and we all not what happens to the next guy that has to follow a legend. (in Bama's case the next 8) Up until Bama hiring Saban, the fan support for Miles was very minimal. When he leaves LSU for the Michigan job, he's national reputation will change for the good.

I have to disagree somewhat here. Saban was never a legend in the minds of LSU fans because he wasn't there long enough. To achieve legendary status as a coach, you have to coach at that place longer than five years. You must coach a team during consecutive seasons of dominance. Furthermore, you have to endear yourself to the fans. Saban did neither. Sure, the fans liked the guy during the final two years as his tenure as head coach because he walked away with the MNC back in 2003. However, Saban's LSU teams lost three games or more four out of the five seasons he was head coach. Remember, LSU won the SEC back in 2003 despite having three conference losses.

An upset loss to UAB at home and beatdowns by Steve Spurrier didn't help Saban's cause at LSU. A home loss to Ron Zook out of all coaches didn't go over well either. So although a MNC in 2003 helped his cause, Saban's overall record at LSU was sketchy at best. Bottom line, he didn't win enough to achieve the status as a legend.

When was the last time LSU fans actually embraced a coach? You have to go way back to find a coach who caputred the hearts and the minds of LSU fans. LSU's coaching carousel over the past thirty years has almost been as pitiful as Bama's. Archer, Hallman, DiNardo, Saban. All of those guys had short life spans at LSU.

The jury is still out on Miles at LSU. 22-4 is not a bad place to start, regardless of whose players he inherited. Three of those losses have been on the road in tough environments. Let's examine.

Auburn '06. We all know that Jordan Hare can be a nightmare for opposing teams.

Florida '06. The Swamp. End of story.

Georgia '05. Do you think it's fair that LSU had to play Georgia in Atlanta for the SEC Title? That was more like a home game for the Dawgs.

If LSU fans are not content with this guy, it's because they are constantly bombarded with talk in the media about how "talented, loaded, and debth laden" LSU is. You hear it in the media, on this board. I can't tell you how many aunation members said that we were lucky as hell to win last yeaer against LSU and how great their team was. Yet, they haven't seen in titles out of Miles so far. Like talent alone is enough to win a title. If Miles wins a title in the next couple of years, then all will be forgiven.

LSU won't touch Saban or vice versa. Go read an LSU board for validation.

Agree. That ship sailed a long time ago.

You have to look at the overall package when evaluating a head coach. All have their own strengths and weaknesses. Lord knows, I've had times when I looked at a decision CTT made and went WTF was THAT? With Tuberville, you have to look at the whole program and where Auburn is on a national level. Miles was successful at Okie State and so far, he's done nothing to indicate he won't be successful at LSU either.

I wish he WOULD flop. But it probably ain't gonna' happen.

Tuberville is no football genius by any means. But he is an excellent recruiter, a good PR guy, and a great "manager" of this football program. He knows enough about how to motivate his coaches and players, instill loyalty, and discipline his team to the point where they can go out and beat anybody on any given Saturday.

Miles will take alot of heat in 07 because he's probably gonna lose 2 to 3 games again. But it doesn't mean he's not a good coach. As good as $aban? Probably not. But if the past two years are any indication of how strong LSwho is right now under Miles, I don't understand how anyone could doubt his ability as a recruiter, AND as a good coach overall.

I'm with esquire. I wish he would flop as a coach, and LSwho could be wiped off the map, but it just ain't gonna happen.

Ryan

I know everyone is dogging Miles because of Saban's talent. I'll be the first to admit that I said the same about Miles and that he has done better than I expected. Yes, he had Saban's talent - but you still have to win the games. Miles has had two good years and although he hasn't won a championship, I think he has done a good job. He may fall in a few years, but I will wait until that happens before I judge him.

I know everyone is dogging Miles because of Saban's talent. I'll be the first to admit that I said the same about Miles and that he has done better than I expected. Yes, he had Saban's talent - but you still have to win the games. Miles has had two good years and although he hasn't won a championship, I think he has done a good job. He may fall in a few years, but I will wait until that happens before I judge him.

Well, my point is, look at recruiting. If $aban was this "END ALL BE ALL" of coaches, with him gone, LSwho's recruiting should have just dropped off the map. 22-4 with top ten recruiting classes sounds pretty damn good to me, even if it is for a team that I hate.

Ryan

I have to disagree somewhat here. Saban was never a legend in the minds of LSU fans because he wasn't there long enough. To achieve legendary status as a coach, you have to coach at that place longer than five years. You must coach a team during consecutive seasons of dominance. Furthermore, you have to endear yourself to the fans. Saban did neither. Sure, the fans liked the guy during the final two years as his tenure as head coach because he walked away with the MNC back in 2003. However, Saban's LSU teams lost three games or more four out of the five seasons he was head coach. Remember, LSU won the SEC back in 2003 despite having three conference losses.

Drew - If you polled LSU fans before Saban was hired at Bammer, I guarantee you they would have considered him their legend. Who else do they have, Paul Dietzel? Not even the baby boomer LSU fans remember him.

Totally agree with you on the rest of your post.

Michigan won't hire that dope Les Miles, either.

Sabear going to beat him to it? :poke:

Michigan will be looking for a new coach before long if Carr can't find a way to beat Tressel. A national championship coach who can't beat his biggest rival, that's going to be Saban pretty soon.

I wouldn't put it past the Funny Helmets to hire Miles. He can't be any worse than Carr has been of late.

The only reason finebaum and bammer nation is bashing Miles is because they need someone to beat up, and since AU whips their ass every year, that someone isn't Tubby.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Drew - If you polled LSU fans before Saban was hired at Bammer, I guarantee you they would have considered him their legend. Who else do they have, Paul Dietzel?

Cholly Mac.

Drew - If you polled LSU fans before Saban was hired at Bammer, I guarantee you they would have considered him their legend. Who else do they have, Paul Dietzel?

Cholly Mac.

Curley Hallman...you can see him in action on Friday nights as the Head Coach at Muscle Shoals High School.

I have to disagree somewhat here. Saban was never a legend in the minds of LSU fans because he wasn't there long enough.

Saban was a legend in every single LSU fans mind before he left. Plain and simple. Any LSU fan saying otherwise is simply lying to hide their anger for Saban leaving them.

Come on, everyone here saw the LSU fans before 2004....they know how he was to the LSU fans. He was a GOD to them.

Georgia '05. Do you think it's fair that LSU had to play Georgia in Atlanta for the SEC Title? That was more like a home game for the Dawgs.

Very fair. WVU didnt have a problem the week after. LSU got their butts kicked that night because we were the better team that night. We beat them down the year before as well.....

:lsu: fans, do you think :lsu: would come after Saban if Miles did leave?

Short answer...... NO

Long answer....... HELL NO

Thanks!

Why, because Saban will get there first?

Jim Varney, comedic genius or misunderstood funnyman?

I personally like watching Ernest P Worrell. The slapstick humor appeals to the juvenile side of me. My favorite movie out of the bunch is Ernest goes to jail.

I personally enjoyed watching Ernest go all Michael Jordan as a basketball star. I forget the name of that one though.

He was funnier than Larry the Cable Guy could ever be IMO. Of course, my 5 year old is funnier than that husker windbag.

Slam Dunk Ernest.

And Kareem Abdul Jabaar was his costar.

What's your vector Victor? B)

Ever seen a grown man naked, Billy?

After having actually read this thread, I'd definitely say it looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

LSU fans would give their right testicle to have Saban back.

not the case my friend..... besides the NC season, Saban was an just a good coach, not a great one. But its amazing the support and obsession that a NC brings to a coach. LSU fans are starting to see that its almost more fun to consistantly compete for a NC each year like its been over the last 2 seasons. The Saban obsession is DEAD... and the Miles support is at an all-time high and will continue to grow.

your statement that we would "give our right testicle to have saban back" just shows that Bama fans still and will always think that everyone wants what they have for some strange reason....... which everyone else in the country laughs at you for. Its typical Bama!!!

To me, saying LSU needs Saban back is like saying Florida needs Spurrier back. They're doin' alright.

not the case my friend..... besides the NC season, Saban was an just a good coach, not a great one. But its amazing the support and obsession that a NC brings to a coach. LSU fans are starting to see that its almost more fun to consistantly compete for a NC each year like its been over the last 2 seasons. The Saban obsession is DEAD... and the Miles support is at an all-time high and will continue to grow.

your statement that we would "give our right testicle to have saban back" just shows that Bama fans still and will always think that everyone wants what they have for some strange reason....... which everyone else in the country laughs at you for. Its typical Bama!!!

Thank you, Geaux!

That's funny coming from a program like bama. I go tired of Saban's flirting with other jobs every year and was glad to see him go. He will not stay at Bama long either. The man did a great job at LSU, no doubt and I am glad that he started the run we are on, but I would not want him back as a coach. How can anyone take him seriously when he talks to you about loyalty, commitment and team first? He has never shown any of those qualities and Coach Miles certainly does.

I go tired of Saban's flirting with other jobs every year and was glad to see him go.

Meter.gif

Slink, You know we were sad to see CBobby Petrino go AT THE TIME.

Now, with everyone seeing him for the drama queen that he is, I think most every :au: fan would tell you that we are very happy he didnt get the job back in 2003. He would have left us and have had his name in every search every year, just like Saban has had since he got to :lsu:

I forgot about all the drama at :lsu: while Saban was there. I can see I was wrong. They probably dont want him back. We are sure glad CTT stayed now too. I REALLY like the stability to the program. I hate a bunch of drama all the time. The coaching searches at :ua: ? I hope no other team in America has to go thru that. Drama, Drama, Drama... I could not stand that!

So while they were probably sad AT THE TIME. I bet they cant stand him now. Much like we are about CBP, sorry to see him go at the time, but not now, not at all.

Thanks to the :lsu: guys here.

DKW, but there is a difference between what you said and what he said.

You admitted that AT THE TIME you wanted him to stay and AT THE TIME you thought VERY highly of him. Now? Of course, now you would not want him. I understand that.

And I do change my mind abit...though I still think most LSU fans would take Saban back in a heartbeat (and I mean a heartbeat...), I do see and think more and more would rather not take him back (though I still think its a small minority even though many will never admit it).

What I laugh at are any LSU fans saying "At the time, I was glad to see him leave"....oh, give me a break. Even with all the drama Saban had whether it was the Colts, Bears, Jags, or Phins rumored to be with him....time in baton rouge STOPPED when the rumors got heavy with Saban. It was hilarious yet sad to see all LSU fans go nuts when he left.

As I am sure AUJarhead and others can attest if they were down here at the time....there wasnt a single LSU fan that didnt want to build a statue in Saban's honor before he left

Archived