Okay, Who's Writing A Book?

Another poster on this board mentioned to me that he's working on a novel. What a cool topic for conversation. What about the rest of you?

Here are my two:

1) A Squirrel In My Attic, 95,000 words. A dimwitted, old-money trust fund guy finds his perfect little life spiralling out of control when he can't evict a squirrel out of his attic.

Currently being reviewed by an agent. One agent decided not to sell it, but thought enough to recommend it to another agent. We'll see.

2) The Obituaries. After his wife dies, a man decides to cope with her death by reading the obituaries and attending the funerals of others.

Almost done with the first draft. I think it will be about 84,000 words.

What about you?

I'm always wanting to start one up, but am never disciplined enough to make any real progress. I have several "sketches" of different scenes saved in my computer, but nothing I would even think about calling a book...

Good luck to you though.

I know several of our fellow Auburn grads are successful authors:

Ace Atkins: crime novels.

James Hansen: a biography of Neil Armstrong, and I think another book on NASA.

Anne Rivers Siddons: novels set in the south.

Tom Dorsey: crime novels

I bet there are others also...maybe some who post here...

I'm always wanting to start one up, but am never disciplined enough to make any real progress. I have several "sketches" of different scenes saved in my computer, but nothing I would even think about calling a book...

Good luck to you though.

I know several of our fellow Auburn grads are successful authors:

Ace Atkins: crime novels.

James Hansen: a biography of Neil Armstrong, and I think another book on NASA.

Anne Rivers Siddons: novels set in the south.

Tom Dorsey: crime novels

I bet there are others also...maybe some who post here...

I've got six or seven ideas in various forms of completion. None nearly close enough to go to an agent.

I do have one concept that I am seriously working on but it's not a novel. More of a history book.

I can't stay dedicated to writing a novel... too ADD...

My thing is short stories... I just pulled my first one out from about a year ago and started making changes last week. I've got an idea for another one in my head.

How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Got a a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Got a, got a nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for three years? Huh? Got a, got a compelling protagonist? Yeah? Got a obstacle for him to overcome? Huh? Got a story brewing there? Working on, working on that for quite some time? Huh? Yeah, talking about that three years ago. Been working on that the whole time? Nice little narrative? Beginning, middle, and end? Some friends become enemies, some enemies become friends? At the end your main character is richer from the experience? Yeah? Yeah? No, no, you deserve some time off.

21934665_629b2bdcd1_o.jpg

How you uh, how you comin' on that novel you're working on? Huh? Got a a big, uh, big stack of papers there? Got a, got a nice litte story you're working on there? Your big novel you've been working on for three years? Huh? Got a, got a compelling protagonist? Yeah? Got a obstacle for him to overcome? Huh? Got a story brewing there? Working on, working on that for quite some time? Huh? Yeah, talking about that three years ago. Been working on that the whole time? Nice little narrative? Beginning, middle, and end? Some friends become enemies, some enemies become friends? At the end your main character is richer from the experience? Yeah? Yeah? No, no, you deserve some time off.

Oh, I know it hurts now Brian, but look at the bright side . . . you have some new material for that novel you’ve been writing. You know, the . . . the novel you’ve been working on. You know, the . . . the one, uh, you been working on for three years. You know, the . . . the novel. Mm, got something new to write about now. You know, maybe . . uh, maybe a main character gets into a relationship, suffers a little heart break. Something like uh, what . . . what you been, you just been through. Draw from the real life experience. Little uh, little heart break. You know . . . work it into the story. Make those characters a little more three dimensional. Little, uh, richer experience for the reader. Make those second hundred pages really keep the reader guessing, what’s going to happen. Some twists and turns. Little epilogue, everybody learns the hero’s journey isn’t always a happy one . . . OH I look forward to reading it!

I don't understand.

I don't understand.

An episode of Family Guy.

Working on "The Ghosts of San Pablo." Set in 1908, Florida coast after THE 1908 Hurricane. John Noble, coast guard captain is oredered to go find survivors of a group of four small islands that are off the coast of Florida that have taken a direct hit from the storm. He ends up getting beached himself on the southern-most basically uninhabited island. He finds the ruins of a rather well sized bay surrounded by a monastery, church, and an old rum making facility. What he doesnt realize is that the storm uncovered far more than just the ruins, it uncovered an evil that is still present and wishes to remain unknown.

The story changes the lives of his crew and hundreds of islanders forever and impacts world events in the decades to come. The story is the genesis for at least five more books about the family and their impact on history.

Didnt mean tom be so dramatic, but that is the rough out ine of the jacket, agent pitch.

I don't understand.

You'd have to watch the cartoon "Family Guy". Brian (the dog) says he needs a break from his everyday life, and Stewie (the baby) responds with this speech. It becomes a running joke with references coming back into the show occasionally about the novel that Brian has been writing for three years.

Speaking of novelists and novels, has anyone read any of Tom Franklin's books?

He's from my neck of the woods (Clarke County) and is an excellent new author. His books tend to goriness and violence sometimes (especially Smonk) but I really enjoy his work. Definitely find Hell at the Breach as it is based on true events in Clarke County.

Archived