6. Vanderbilt

WESTERN DIVISION

1. LSU

2. Auburn

3. Arkansas

4. Alabama

5. Mississippi

6. Mississippi State

The NFL draft is an annual reminder of just how much talent flows through the Southeastern Conference.

But the real star power in 2007 just may be on the sidelines. Now that Nick Saban is back in the SEC at Alabama, the league has four head coaches who've won national championships.

Urban Meyer and the Gators took home the big prize in 2006.Really, that number's closer to five when you consider that Auburn's Tommy Tuberville went 13-0 in 2004 and didn't even get a chance to play for the title thanks to that splendid creation we all know as the BCS.

"Our league is tough enough, but then you look at our division," Tennessee's Phillip Fulmer said. "I'm not sure there's a tougher division anywhere."

Indeed, three of the four SEC coaches who own national titles reside in the Eastern Division. Tennessee captured the 1998 title under Fulmer. Urban Meyer's Gators are the defending national champions, while South Carolina's Steve Spurrier won it at Florida in 1996. Saban's title came while coaching LSU in 2003.

Saban's influence at LSU is still on display for all to see. Much of the talent he stockpiled in the Bayou remains, as evidenced by the four LSU players selected in the first round of this year's NFL draft.

Even with the likes of JaMarcus Russell, LaRon Landry, Dwayne Bowe and Craig Davis gone, LSU heads into the 2007 season as the SEC's most talented team and the clear-cut favorite to win the championship. The Tigers' front seven on defense, led by tackle Glenn Dorsey, may be as good as any group they've ever had in Baton Rouge.

Of course, the question echoing throughout the league is whether Les Miles will be able to win with his own players. Entering his third season at LSU, Miles has certainly proved he can win with Saban holdovers. There will be more of Miles' players sprinkled into the mix next season.

Ultimately, the bottom line is the only thing that matters when you're winning championships. Just ask the folks at Florida.

Nobody was counting how many Ron Zook-recruited players made up the Gators' national championship roster last season And, yet, there were plenty of them.

Steve Spurrier is focused on an SEC title for the Gamecocks.The difference was how that team came together and delivered in clutch moments, a sign of a well-coached team. There also were enough new faces thrown into the equation -- Tim Tebow, Percy Harvin and Ryan Smith -- who proved to be difference makers.

For Meyer, who loses nine defensive starters off that team, :o the only thing on his radar is what lies ahead. He's not interested in basking in the glory of the past.

Judging by his recruiting class this year, he means business. He reeled in what most experts considered the No. 1 class in the country.

"There is no sustaining," Meyer said. "If you're sustaining, you're losing. You're going backward. We're building. We're growing. We're moving. We're not sitting back and figuring out how to enjoy this. We're trying to figure how to build upon it. That's a hell of a task."

While it's difficult to pick anybody but LSU in the Western Division, the Eastern Division is as wide open as it's ever been.

Georgia has major question marks on defense, and the Bulldogs' offensive line remains unproven. But watching how true freshman quarterback Matthew Stafford played at the end of last season and how the team rallied around him is a pretty good indicator that the Bulldogs will be a factor next season.

Tennessee bounced back nicely last season from its 5-6 disaster in 2005, although the Vols went belly-up in their bowl game. Quarterback Erik Ainge flourished under offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe. But he'll have a whole new group of receivers to get used to, and there are a bunch of unknowns on defense, particularly up front and in the secondary.

Is this the season that the Head Ball Coach gets South Carolina in the hunt? And if Kentucky can stop anybody on defense, don't count out the Wildcats.

Even with Florida winning it all last season, the biggest news in the SEC this offseason was Saban's leaving the Miami Dolphins to coach in a shadow that seemingly grows larger and more ominous by the year.

The expectations are high for Nick Saban at Bama. Saban's $4 million price tag comes with equally steep expectations: winning with the regularity that Bear Bryant did.

How hungry are the Alabama fans? More than 92,000 flocked to Bryant-Denny Stadium to see the Tide's annual A-Day spring game -- a glorified scrimmage.

Saban spent most of spring practice preaching about the process and not the results. The rationale: You do the things it takes to win, and winning will come.

While Saban never specifically singled out the Alabama fans, who've typically shown the patience of a 3-year-old, he made it clear that everybody associated with the Alabama program needed to quit talking so much about winning championships and start doing something about it.

"Too many people around here talk about it," Saban said.

How quickly the Crimson Tide will win under Saban remains to be seen. But junior center Antoine Caldwell noted some significant changes this spring among his teammates.

Notably, more of them were beginning to take ownership -- a requirement if you're going to play for Saban.

His requirement is to win, win big -- and most importantly -- win fast.

Toughest schedule: Auburn. Florida has to play at LSU and at South Carolina along with its annual showdown with Georgia in Jacksonville, but Auburn's road schedule is brutal. The Tigers have to travel to Florida, Arkansas, LSU and Georgia.

Offensive player of the year: Darren McFadden, running back, Arkansas. He was the best running back in the country last fall and should be even better in 2007. He has it all: speed, power, vision and a nose for the end zone.

Defensive player of the year: Glenn Dorsey, defensive tackle, LSU. Les Miles' biggest recruit during the offseason was keeping Dorsey at LSU. He's not a guy who will overwhelm you with statistics, but no defender in the league impacts the line of scrimmage more than he does.

Newcomer of the year: Knowshon Moreno, running back, Georgia. The Bulldogs were already pretty deep at running back, but Moreno was the rage of spring practice. The Dawgs' fans can't wait to get a glimpse of him when it counts in the fall.

Comeback player of the year: Brandon Cox, quarterback, Auburn. Cox is a better player than he showed last season. But in fairness, he battled injuries and was never 100 percent. Look for his production and his consistency to go up next season.

Breakout player of the year: Tyson Jackson, defensive end, LSU. As a sophomore a year ago, Jackson led the Tigers with eight sacks. That was just scratching the surface. Auburn's Quentin Groves and Florida's Derrick Harvey are both big-time pass-rushers, but Jackson has a chance to be just as good, if not better.

Most overrated player: Brent Schaeffer, quarterback, Mississippi. After he put up crazy junior college numbers, the starting job was handed to him last season before he ever arrived on campus. Schaeffer never grasped the offense and never got into shape. As a result, he enters the 2007 season No. 2 on the depth chart behind Seth Adams. :blink:

Most underrated player: Jonathan Hefney, safety, Tennessee. Quick question: Who led all SEC defensive backs in tackles last season? It was the diminutive Hefney, who also had five interceptions and plays much bigger than his 5-foot-9, 185-pound frame. He's started at cornerback and safety and also returns punts for the Vols.

Most dynamic playmaker: Percy Harvin, wide receiver, Florida. One of Urban Meyer's strengths as a coach is devising different ways to get his best players the ball. The Gators used Harvin on reverses, pitched it to him occasionally out of the backfield and threw it to him deep. There's not a more dangerous player in the open field in the SEC.

Coach on the hot seat: Houston Nutt, Arkansas. Yes, it sounds crazy after Nutt led the Razorbacks to 10 wins and the SEC championship game a year ago. But he's taken some major hits this offseason with all the off-the-field drama. Combine that with a growing restlessness among fans and a new athletic director on his way in and it isn't a promising combination for Nutt, who's led the Hogs to bowl games in seven of his nine seasons.

Team that may surprise: Alabama. Taking down LSU in the West isn't likely, but Saban has enough to work with to get the Crimson Tide to nine wins. The road schedule isn't that daunting, and quarterback John Parker Wilson has some proven weapons to throw to. With some early momentum, this could be a team to watch.

Team that may disappoint: Florida. There's still enough good young talent in the program to compete with everybody on the schedule, but how do you lose nine defensive starters and not have some drop-off? There's also the question of how Tim Tebow will adapt to being an every-down quarterback, and whether he can stay healthy running as much as he does in the SEC.

SEC champion: LSU. Two years ago, Matt Flynn stepped in for an injured JaMarcus Russell and led LSU to a rout of Miami in the Peach Bowl. Now comes his chance to lead the Tigers for an entire season. The defense is the best in the league, maybe the best in the country, and new offensive coordinator Gary Crowton will play to Flynn's strengths on offense. This is a team that should be favored to win every game it plays.

Yeah I saw this the other day. I'm confused over the huge hype of LSU. The hype started before LSU faced Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl. The ESPN talking heads said they would win in a landslide and set up for the next year. However, Jamarcus Russell left. They lose two outstanding receivers and their best defensive player. Also, when discussing quality of coaches in the SEC, Les Miles is usually left out. So why exactly is LSU the easy pick in the West?

Honestly, the West is wide open. Auburn's a question mark. LSU's a question mark. Alabama's a question mark along with Arkansas. Ole Miss almost beat the mighty LSU team last year. I mean, even Miss St is...well nevermind.

I understand Arkansas has had some serious issues in the offseason, but has everyone forgotten why they were as good as they were last year? Darren McFadden and Felix Jones - they're both still there. Casey Dick, who started a lot of games, is still there. That gigantic receiver is still there. They have just as much returning as LSU does, in my opinion. One great game from Matt Flynn doesn't make him a great QB.

Auburn has five RBs that are able to start...FIVE. That's a ton of depth that I think a lot of people are looking past. Brandon Cox is an experienced QB, who when healthy proved to be rather efficient. That's a lot more than Flynn can say. Our receivers return almost fully intact and now with experience. LSU has Early Doucet and that fast guy, right? Defensively, LSU and Auburn match up about the same. LSU has Glenn Davis to brag about, we have Quentin Groves. I really can't see any reasons why LSU should be handed the West. I also really can't see why these people are paid to write articles like this.

Honestly, the West is wide open. Auburn's a question mark. LSU's a question mark. Alabama's a question mark along with Arkansas. Ole Miss almost beat the mighty LSU team last year. I mean, even Miss St is...well nevermind.

I agree, but I think if you had to peg down a prediction of where those 4 fall, I think they probably made a pretty good guess.

I think our brutal road schedule is the main thing tipping the scales to LSU in terms of SEC wins.

Yeah I saw this the other day. I'm confused over the huge hype of LSU. The hype started before LSU faced Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl. The ESPN talking heads said they would win in a landslide and set up for the next year. However, Jamarcus Russell left. They lose two outstanding receivers and their best defensive player. Also, when discussing quality of coaches in the SEC, Les Miles is usually left out. So why exactly is LSU the easy pick in the West?

I understand Arkansas has had some serious issues in the offseason, but has everyone forgotten why they were as good as they were last year? Darren McFadden and Felix Jones - they're both still there. Casey Dick, who started a lot of games, is still there. That gigantic receiver is still there. They have just as much returning as LSU does, in my opinion. One great game from Matt Flynn doesn't make him a great QB.

Auburn has five RBs that are able to start...FIVE. That's a ton of depth that I think a lot of people are looking past. Brandon Cox is an experienced QB, who when healthy proved to be rather efficient. That's a lot more than Flynn can say. Our receivers return almost fully intact and now with experience. LSU has Early Doucet and that fast guy, right? Defensively, LSU and Auburn match up about the same. LSU has Glenn Davis to brag about, we have Quentin Groves. I really can't see any reasons why LSU should be handed the West. I also really can't see why these people are paid to write articles like this.

Let them hype whoever but us. Please pick LSU in media days. Key stat..they are never right.

:arky: had 19 returning lettermen in 2006. They were not that big a leap to pick. I think I had them pretty high based on that fact alone.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2854920

SEC Spring Wrap

Post-spring picks, predictions and prognostications:

EASTERN DIVISION

1. Georgia

2. Tennessee

3. Florida

4. South Carolina

5. Kentucky

6. Vanderbilt

WESTERN DIVISION

1. LSU

2. Auburn

3. Arkansas

4. Alabama

5. Mississippi

6. Mississippi State

The NFL draft is an annual reminder of just how much talent flows through the Southeastern Conference.

But the real star power in 2007 just may be on the sidelines. Now that Nick Saban is back in the SEC at Alabama, the league has four head coaches who've won national championships.

Urban Meyer and the Gators took home the big prize in 2006.Really, that number's closer to five when you consider that Auburn's Tommy Tuberville went 13-0 in 2004 and didn't even get a chance to play for the title thanks to that splendid creation we all know as the BCS.

"Our league is tough enough, but then you look at our division," Tennessee's Phillip Fulmer said. "I'm not sure there's a tougher division anywhere."

Indeed, three of the four SEC coaches who own national titles reside in the Eastern Division. Tennessee captured the 1998 title under Fulmer. Urban Meyer's Gators are the defending national champions, while South Carolina's Steve Spurrier won it at Florida in 1996. Saban's title came while coaching LSU in 2003.

Saban's influence at LSU is still on display for all to see. Much of the talent he stockpiled in the Bayou remains, as evidenced by the four LSU players selected in the first round of this year's NFL draft.

Even with the likes of JaMarcus Russell, LaRon Landry, Dwayne Bowe and Craig Davis gone, LSU heads into the 2007 season as the SEC's most talented team and the clear-cut favorite to win the championship. The Tigers' front seven on defense, led by tackle Glenn Dorsey, may be as good as any group they've ever had in Baton Rouge.

Of course, the question echoing throughout the league is whether Les Miles will be able to win with his own players. Entering his third season at LSU, Miles has certainly proved he can win with Saban holdovers. There will be more of Miles' players sprinkled into the mix next season.

Ultimately, the bottom line is the only thing that matters when you're winning championships. Just ask the folks at Florida.

Nobody was counting how many Ron Zook-recruited players made up the Gators' national championship roster last season And, yet, there were plenty of them.

Steve Spurrier is focused on an SEC title for the Gamecocks.The difference was how that team came together and delivered in clutch moments, a sign of a well-coached team. There also were enough new faces thrown into the equation -- Tim Tebow, Percy Harvin and Ryan Smith -- who proved to be difference makers.

For Meyer, who loses nine defensive starters off that team, :o the only thing on his radar is what lies ahead. He's not interested in basking in the glory of the past.

Judging by his recruiting class this year, he means business. He reeled in what most experts considered the No. 1 class in the country.

"There is no sustaining," Meyer said. "If you're sustaining, you're losing. You're going backward. We're building. We're growing. We're moving. We're not sitting back and figuring out how to enjoy this. We're trying to figure how to build upon it. That's a hell of a task."

While it's difficult to pick anybody but LSU in the Western Division, the Eastern Division is as wide open as it's ever been.

Georgia has major question marks on defense, and the Bulldogs' offensive line remains unproven. But watching how true freshman quarterback Matthew Stafford played at the end of last season and how the team rallied around him is a pretty good indicator that the Bulldogs will be a factor next season.

Tennessee bounced back nicely last season from its 5-6 disaster in 2005, although the Vols went belly-up in their bowl game. Quarterback Erik Ainge flourished under offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe. But he'll have a whole new group of receivers to get used to, and there are a bunch of unknowns on defense, particularly up front and in the secondary.

Is this the season that the Head Ball Coach gets South Carolina in the hunt? And if Kentucky can stop anybody on defense, don't count out the Wildcats.

Even with Florida winning it all last season, the biggest news in the SEC this offseason was Saban's leaving the Miami Dolphins to coach in a shadow that seemingly grows larger and more ominous by the year.

The expectations are high for Nick Saban at Bama. Saban's $4 million price tag comes with equally steep expectations: winning with the regularity that Bear Bryant did.

How hungry are the Alabama fans? More than 92,000 flocked to Bryant-Denny Stadium to see the Tide's annual A-Day spring game -- a glorified scrimmage.

Saban spent most of spring practice preaching about the process and not the results. The rationale: You do the things it takes to win, and winning will come.

While Saban never specifically singled out the Alabama fans, who've typically shown the patience of a 3-year-old, he made it clear that everybody associated with the Alabama program needed to quit talking so much about winning championships and start doing something about it.

How quickly the Crimson Tide will win under Saban remains to be seen. But junior center Antoine Caldwell noted some significant changes this spring among his teammates.

Notably, more of them were beginning to take ownership -- a requirement if you're going to play for Saban.

Toughest schedule: Auburn. Florida has to play at LSU and at South Carolina along with its annual showdown with Georgia in Jacksonville, but Auburn's road schedule is brutal. The Tigers have to travel to Florida, Arkansas, LSU and Georgia.

Offensive player of the year: Darren McFadden, running back, Arkansas. He was the best running back in the country last fall and should be even better in 2007. He has it all: speed, power, vision and a nose for the end zone.

Defensive player of the year: Glenn Dorsey, defensive tackle, LSU. Les Miles' biggest recruit during the offseason was keeping Dorsey at LSU. He's not a guy who will overwhelm you with statistics, but no defender in the league impacts the line of scrimmage more than he does.

Newcomer of the year: Knowshon Moreno, running back, Georgia. The Bulldogs were already pretty deep at running back, but Moreno was the rage of spring practice. The Dawgs' fans can't wait to get a glimpse of him when it counts in the fall.

Comeback player of the year: Brandon Cox, quarterback, Auburn. Cox is a better player than he showed last season. But in fairness, he battled injuries and was never 100 percent. Look for his production and his consistency to go up next season.

Breakout player of the year: Tyson Jackson, defensive end, LSU. As a sophomore a year ago, Jackson led the Tigers with eight sacks. That was just scratching the surface. Auburn's Quentin Groves and Florida's Derrick Harvey are both big-time pass-rushers, but Jackson has a chance to be just as good, if not better.

Most overrated player: Brent Schaeffer, quarterback, Mississippi. After he put up crazy junior college numbers, the starting job was handed to him last season before he ever arrived on campus. Schaeffer never grasped the offense and never got into shape. As a result, he enters the 2007 season No. 2 on the depth chart behind Seth Adams. :blink:

Most underrated player: Jonathan Hefney, safety, Tennessee. Quick question: Who led all SEC defensive backs in tackles last season? It was the diminutive Hefney, who also had five interceptions and plays much bigger than his 5-foot-9, 185-pound frame. He's started at cornerback and safety and also returns punts for the Vols.

Most dynamic playmaker: Percy Harvin, wide receiver, Florida. One of Urban Meyer's strengths as a coach is devising different ways to get his best players the ball. The Gators used Harvin on reverses, pitched it to him occasionally out of the backfield and threw it to him deep. There's not a more dangerous player in the open field in the SEC.

Coach on the hot seat: Houston Nutt, Arkansas. Yes, it sounds crazy after Nutt led the Razorbacks to 10 wins and the SEC championship game a year ago. But he's taken some major hits this offseason with all the off-the-field drama. Combine that with a growing restlessness among fans and a new athletic director on his way in and it isn't a promising combination for Nutt, who's led the Hogs to bowl games in seven of his nine seasons.

Team that may surprise: Alabama. Taking down LSU in the West isn't likely, but Saban has enough to work with to get the Crimson Tide to nine wins. The road schedule isn't that daunting, and quarterback John Parker Wilson has some proven weapons to throw to. With some early momentum, this could be a team to watch.

Team that may disappoint: Florida. There's still enough good young talent in the program to compete with everybody on the schedule, but how do you lose nine defensive starters and not have some drop-off? There's also the question of how Tim Tebow will adapt to being an every-down quarterback, and whether he can stay healthy running as much as he does in the SEC.

SEC champion: LSU. Two years ago, Matt Flynn stepped in for an injured JaMarcus Russell and led LSU to a rout of Miami in the Peach Bowl. Now comes his chance to lead the Tigers for an entire season. The defense is the best in the league, maybe the best in the country, and new offensive coordinator Gary Crowton will play to Flynn's strengths on offense. This is a team that should be favored to win every game it plays.

LSU has Glenn Davis to brag about

Considering that he plays basketball, I'm not sure what your point is. But, yeah, we are basically reloading this year and should spank Auburn rather soundly for that cheat job in Jordan Hare last year.

But, yeah, we are basically reloading this year and should spank Auburn rather soundly for that cheat job in Jordan Hare last year.

:roflol: You sound like a Bammer :roflol: Coulda, woulda, shoulda, but didn't. Someone MUST have cheated :roflol:

Considering that he plays basketball, I'm not sure what your point is. But, yeah, we are basically reloading this year and should spank Auburn rather soundly for that cheat job in Jordan Hare last year.

spank Auburn soundly?? What an ignorant statement to make. This shows how little you know about football and particularly the auburn - lsu series.

Still crying over last year too I see.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2854920

SEC Spring Wrap

Post-spring picks, predictions and prognostications:

EASTERN DIVISION

1. Georgia

2. Tennessee

3. Florida

4. South Carolina

5. Kentucky

6. Vanderbilt

WESTERN DIVISION

1. LSU

2. Auburn

3. Arkansas

4. Alabama

5. Mississippi

6. Mississippi State

Weak. You almost made me feel stupid but any idiot can realize that Glenn Dorsey and Glenn Davis have similar names.

Cheat job?

But, yeah, we are basically reloading this year and should spank Auburn rather soundly for that cheat job in Jordan Hare last year.

Lets just hope LSWho continues re-loading with those non-SECCG appearence seasons.

UGA 1st and UF 3rd ? Ummm... I don't think so.

IMO I think Florida will probably end up 2nd or 3rd in the East. One thing is for sure, the East is WIDE open. Kentucky and South Carolina will both make noise. They will ruin at least one if not two of the big 3's SEC East title hopes...

UGA 1st and UF 3rd ? Ummm... I don't think so.

Think its quite possible.

UF loses a LOT on D and have a QB who has yet to play a full year at QB.

Now, I don't think UGA wins the East but I don't see how someone could say we dont have a chance at it.

Neither UF nor UT are unbeatable by any means and with 1-2 loses or upsets to others, the other will drop to 3rd.

I think UT is a sleeper. Ainge could really have a breakout year. They have some good young running backs and they always have talent on the offensive and defensive lines.

UGA lost a lot of seniors, but I think they will be in the running. I'm anxious to see this new RB everyone is giddy about.

I think UF lost a lot on D, and Tebow is gifted, but I'm not sure he's very proven. I'm not sure how talented he is as a pocket passer, and he won't last an entire season with his running style. He's big and strong, but not as big and strong as some of those D-linemen that would like to remove his head from his shoulders.

I think SC gets worse. UK will be ok, but I dont' think they will be any better than last year. Vandy will be about the same, probably a little better from the Nickson kid getting a full year under his belt.

As far as a year making you a veteran, I guess the SEC is loaded with veteran QB's. Woodson, Ainge, Stafford, Tebow, Nickson, Mitchell, Cox, Wilson, Dick, Flynn, Schaeffer, Henig. Personally, I don't think a season under center makes you a "veteran." But not being a rookie, doesn't make you a veteran.

UGA lost a lot of seniors, but I think they will be in the running. I'm anxious to see this new RB everyone is giddy about

If you are talking about true freshman Caleb King...I am not sure he plays next year.

If you are talking about RS freshman Moreno....I think EVERY UGA fan can't wait to see him. Apparently he has been murdering the practices and drills so...I dunno...maybe we can get our second big-time RB under Richt (I call Musa Smith a big-time RB as he had a great 2002 year).

Our new OC, Mike Bobo, doesn't like switching up RB's so we should see 1-2 more happy RB's and 1-2 not-happy ones.

Let me take a stab at this with a little less smack. The LSU hype is all about the defense man. Due respect to Auburn, whose defense I expect to be very good, you're just wrong to say they match up about the same. Losing LaRon Landry is, of course, big. Other than that, it's basically wall to wall with great returning players.

Of course everything is only on paper at this point, but the line is the best I've ever seen. Glen Dorsey and Tyson Jackson are both pretty much unstoppable. Most of you probably know about Jackson by now, being fans of another SEC West team, but if you don't, let me explain: he's the meanest SOB I've ever seen. The guy plays angry. The rotations at the other tackle and end spots may not have the name recognition, but it's far from a weakness. Marlon Favorite, Ricky Jean-Francois, Al Woods, Rahim Alem, Tremaine Johnson, etc., etc. - these are all very good players with a lot of experience among them and there is almost no end to them.

Linebacker is almost as good. Trust me when I tell you that you don't realize yet just how good Darry Beckwith is. There is none better in the SEC and I just hope he's around after next year. Ali Highsmith is a proven stud, 3-year starter and future NFL player. Luke Sanders is another returning starter and, unlike last year, the unit as a whole has good depth. Jacob Cutrera and Perry Riley got a lot of PT last year and both looked very good.

Both corners are seniors and I can't think of a better pair. Both safeties are gone, but Craig Steltz is a senior with a TON of experience and he's a proven playmaker. Curtis Taylor is the replacement for Landry and according to Pelini (who doesn't generally say much) he's phenomenal. Danny McCray is another safety, who's only a sophomore, but I can tell you first hand based on watching him last season, he's a future stud.

I'll spare you an obnoxious rundown of the offense b/c, like I said, the defense is why LSU is being picked to win the West. It was as good as any in the country and there's no reason it shouldn't be even better this year. I know I sound like the mother of all homers heaping all that praise on basically the entire D, but it really is justified.

Let me take a stab at this with a little less smack. The LSU hype is all about the defense man. Due respect to Auburn, whose defense I expect to be very good, you're just wrong to say they match up about the same. Losing LaRon Landry is, of course, big. Other than that, it's basically wall to wall with great returning players.

Of course everything is only on paper at this point, but the line is the best I've ever seen. Glen Dorsey and Tyson Jackson are both pretty much unstoppable. Most of you probably know about Jackson by now, being fans of another SEC West team, but if you don't, let me explain: he's the meanest SOB I've ever seen. The guy plays angry. The rotations at the other tackle and end spots may not have the name recognition, but it's far from a weakness. Marlon Favorite, Ricky Jean-Francois, Al Woods, Rahim Alem, Tremaine Johnson, etc., etc. - these are all very good players with a lot of experience among them and there is almost no end to them.

Linebacker is almost as good. Trust me when I tell you that you don't realize yet just how good Darry Beckwith is. There is none better in the SEC and I just hope he's around after next year. Ali Highsmith is a proven stud, 3-year starter and future NFL player. Luke Sanders is another returning starter and, unlike last year, the unit as a whole has good depth. Jacob Cutrera and Perry Riley got a lot of PT last year and both looked very good.

Both corners are seniors and I can't think of a better pair. Both safeties are gone, but Craig Steltz is a senior with a TON of experience and he's a proven playmaker. Curtis Taylor is the replacement for Landry and according to Pelini (who doesn't generally say much) he's phenomenal. Danny McCray is another safety, who's only a sophomore, but I can tell you first hand based on watching him last season, he's a future stud.

I'll spare you an obnoxious rundown of the offense b/c, like I said, the defense is why LSU is being picked to win the West. It was as good as any in the country and there's no reason it shouldn't be even better this year. I know I sound like the mother of all homers heaping all that praise on basically the entire D, but it really is justified.

Yea but.....Bama has Saban. So, what good are all your studs now...huh? :big:

Finally, some football talk!

Look, I understand that you've got a couple of proven playmakers but so do we. You named two D-Linemen - we've got arguably the best pass rusher in the SEC with Quentin Groves and don't forget Sen'Derick (sp?) Marks, who was very productive as a Freshman and was just moved to strongside Defensive End. The problem I have with your defensive rundown is that I haven't heard of many of those names, which gives Auburn's Defense just as much merit to claim the preseason number 1 spot.

We do match up the same, just with weaker corners and stronger safeties. You lose Laron Landry, we retain Eric Brock. We also have Aairon Savage coming back. Also, as for our linebackers, Tray Blackmon has returned, which gives us a very complete linebacker-core. Chris Evans, Craig Stevens, Merrill Johnson and Blackmon will provide enough terror to keep our defense safe. Now, I think you do have the edge with your corners, because our returners haven't proven much over the past two years. So if you want to claim the SEC West title because of your cornerbacks, be my guest but that's about all you got over us.

Look, I understand that you've got a couple of proven playmakers but so do we. You named two D-Linemen - we've got arguably the best pass rusher in the SEC with Quentin Groves and don't forget Sen'Derick (sp?) Marks, who was very productive as a Freshman and was just moved to strongside Defensive End. The problem I have with your defensive rundown is that I haven't heard of many of those names, which gives Auburn's Defense just as much merit to claim the preseason number 1 spot.

We do match up the same, just with weaker corners and stronger safeties. You lose Laron Landry, we retain Eric Brock. We also have Aairon Savage coming back. Also, as for our linebackers, Tray Blackmon has returned, which gives us a very complete linebacker-core. Chris Evans, Craig Stevens, Merrill Johnson and Blackmon will provide enough terror to keep our defense safe. Now, I think you do have the edge with your corners, because our returners haven't proven much over the past two years. So if you want to claim the SEC West title because of your cornerbacks, be my guest but that's about all you got over us.

I didn't expect to convince you, so we'll just have to disagree. I should also repeat that I think Auburn's D will be stout. Groves, Marks, and Blackmon are definitely players. Marks is certainly a hot name after just one year and I hope he's not as good as I suspect he is. Is Blackmon officially clear to play? If he can stay out of trouble he's certainly a proven commodity. I think Auburn's defensive line will be a strength and one of the best LSU will face - I just think LSU's will be the best in the country. I know I'm an LSU fan, but plenty of outsiders share that opinion. Linebacker I have to give to LSU too. All the starters return. I guess we'll see about the backfield. I certainly remember Eric Brock. He's so good he can make flags, called penalties, even entire first downs disappear! At least in Jordan-Hare ... :puke:

I'd also give LSU an edge on depth. But I'll admit that I'm way more familiar with LSU's roster, so that's hardly an objective opinion. My biggest argument though would be that almost everybody returns for LSU, which gave up an average of 50 less yards a game than Auburn did last year (242 to 292). That's a world of difference.

I didn't expect to convince you, so we'll just have to disagree. I should also repeat that I think Auburn's D will be stout. Groves, Marks, and Blackmon are definitely players. Marks is certainly a hot name after just one year and I hope he's not as good as I suspect he is. Is Blackmon officially clear to play? If he can stay out of trouble he's certainly a proven commodity. I think Auburn's defensive line will be a strength and one of the best LSU will face - I just think LSU's will be the best in the country. I know I'm an LSU fan, but plenty of outsiders share that opinion. Linebacker I have to give to LSU too. All the starters return. I guess we'll see about the backfield. I certainly remember Eric Brock. He's so good he can make flags, called penalties, even entire first downs disappear! At least in Jordan-Hare ... :puke:

I'd also give LSU an edge on depth. But I'll admit that I'm way more familiar with LSU's roster, so that's hardly an objective opinion. My biggest argument though would be that almost everybody returns for LSU, which gave up an average of 50 less yards a game than Auburn did last year (242 to 292). That's a world of difference.

dude, lets stick to a football discussion and not start a pissing match about last years game. Keep the crying about last years game on the LSU boards. None of us here control anything that happens on the field. Grow up and move on. There 's another season looming.

dude, lets stick to a football discussion and not start a pissing match about last years game. Keep the crying about last years game on the LSU boards. None of us here control anything that happens on the field. Grow up and move on. There 's another season looming.

Trust me, I'm not the least bit interested in talking about it. That was just a "jab," if you will, mentioned in jest b/c somebody brought up Eric Brock. So, agreed, let's move on.

Well, I'm one Auburn fan who certainly doesn't mind admitting that LSU will have a monster defense. I expect our game in Baton Rouge to be a slugfest, as usual. Winner goes to the SECG. As usual.

We will see how unstoppable LSWho's D is this year...I personally love seeing LSWho so high in all the pre-season rankings.

The losses of Pittman, Daniels, and Laundry will not be easily replaced no matter how many Super-Duper, HOF-locks they have returning.

Neither Zenon or Jackson are that great, imo, and will be beat if the QB can get some time which I think most teams will get against LSWho.

This is the year everybody wakes up and sees Urban Meyer is the most overrated coach of the last 20 years. He won @...Utah (ooooh), got to play for the MNC w/ another coaches players (losing to AU by 10 points along the way)...and this year he's probably going to start a sophomore QB in the SEC (who completed a grand total of 5 (FIVE) passes his last 6 games while fancying himself a fullback that can take on SEC LBs (Tebow)).

Nobody in the history of the planet leads a more charmed life than Urban Myth. It's midnight...

This is the year everybody wakes up and sees Urban Meyer is the most overrated coach of the last 20 years. He won @...Utah (ooooh), got to play for the MNC w/ another coaches players (losing to AU by 10 points along the way)...and this year he's probably going to start a sophomore QB in the SEC (who completed a grand total of 5 (FIVE) passes his last 6 games while fancying himself a fullback that can take on SEC LBs (Tebow)).

Nobody in the history of the planet leads a more charmed life than Urban Myth. It's midnight...

I hope you're right. However, it'll take a few years to convince anybody that Meyer is overrated. You have to admit, having two undefeated seasons in three years is impressive. And yeah, he's winning with another coach's players - however, that coach couldn't beat MSU with them. Don't forget, Miami and Florida St are both down. That means the five star recruits will have to enter a lottery if they hope to attend Florida. And I'm not sure what you're going for by criticizing Tebow's takeover of the offense.

Archived