Trivia Question: Auburn in the NFL

DCTiger

Who is the only former Tiger to have his NFL number retired?

William Andrews of the Atlanta Falcons. Do I win the free concert tickets?

It is William Andrews. That suprised me.

I think I heard somewhere that Caddy had his shoes put in the HOF after his first 3 games as a rookie.

Maybe he needs to get those back.

Yep...hard to believe that Joe Cribbs, James Brooks, and William Andrews were all in the same backfield, but we could only go 8-3.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Exhibit "G" - Coach Doug Barfield. That should clear up any further questions, your Honor.

(Before anyone starts talking about what a great guy Barfield was/is, I've heard it. Good for him. Never met him, I am sure he's a saint. So was John Paul II, but I didn't want him to be the Auburn coach either.)

You're right. Neither John nor Paul had any real head coaching abilities. George and Ringo were both much better, they just never got their shot at the big time.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Pete Best was the best prospect out of them all. In fact, he was the original "5" star.

Exhibit "G" - Coach Doug Barfield. That should clear up any further questions, your Honor.

(Before anyone starts talking about what a great guy Barfield was/is, I've heard it. Good for him. Never met him, I am sure he's a saint. So was John Paul II, but I didn't want him to be the Auburn coach either.)

JPII wasn't a great Xs and Os kind of guy, but he was great on conditioning. My kids went to parochial schools for six years, and those nuns were the toughest broads alive. They'd make Takeo Spikes whimper in terror. And I had to go in and face those people for teachers conferences. I have balls of steel in a meeting, but they sure tested my mettle.

I went to Catholic school for 12 years and lived to tell about it. If Auburn had 10 linemen as mean as my elementary school principal, Sister Mary Gabriel, they'd win the MNC.

She was about 6'2" and built like a linebacker. I once saw her with her left hand grab a 13 year old boy (probably the biggest kid in the school, at least 120 lbs) who had committed a minor infraction by the front of his shirt and lift him a foot off the ground while she got in his face and scared the life out of him (almost literally). She had a paddle the size of an oar and broke it over a kid's backside once. Every once in a while, a new kid would really act out and we'd never see them again. Some said they were sent to public school. Some said they were buried behind the school.

Yep...hard to believe that Joe Cribbs, James Brooks, and William Andrews were all in the same backfield, but we could only go 8-3.

I was living in NY (Long Island) in those days and I was dating the former NY State Baton Twirling Champion, who was attending Memphis State, and was a majorette. I took a surprise trip to Auburn for the MSU game one year, and sat with her in the MSU band section after half time. All of those guys in the backfield...and yet I was totally embarrassed when we fumbled SIX times and lost that game. But she was REALLY good looking, so I got over it. :)

:au::homer:

. All of those guys in the backfield...and yet I was totally embarrassed when we fumbled SIX times and lost that game. But she was REALLY good looking, so I got over it. :)

:au::homer:

The option is not without risks.

Archived