ACC

SEC

Pac-10

Big 12

Big Ten

BCS Coaches

1. Pete Carroll, Southern California

2. Jim Tressel, Ohio State

3. Rich Rodriguez, West Virginia So bama paid more and got a worse coach? :roflol:

4. Jim Grobe, Wake Forest

5. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma

6. Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech

7. Nick Saban, Alabama :no: Better than Spurrier?

8. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina

9. Dennis Erickson, Arizona State

10. Mack Brown, Texas

11. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa

12. Urban Meyer, Florida

13. Tom O'Brien, N.C. State

14. Bobby Bowden, Florida State

15. Tommy Tuberville, Auburn

16. Lloyd Carr, Michigan

17. Mike Bellotti, Oregon

18. Joe Paterno, Penn State

19. Butch Davis, North Carolina

20. Houston Nutt, Arkansas

21. Bill Callahan, Nebraska

22. Jeff Tedford, Cal

23. Mark Richt, Georgia

24. Jim Leavitt, South Florida

25. Mike Riley, Oregon State

26. Mike Leach, Texas Tech

27. Steve Kragthorpe, Louisville

28. Ralph Friedgen, Maryland

29. Bobby Johnson, Vanderbilt

30. Chan Gailey, Georgia Tech

31. Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee

32. Joe Tiller, Purdue

33. Greg Schiano, Rutgers

34. Al Groh, Virginia

35. Mark Mangino, Kansas

36. Brian Kelly, Cincinnati

37. Dennis Franchione, Texas A&M

38. Dan Hawkins, Colorado

39. Bret Bielema, Wisconsin

40. Rich Brooks, Kentucky

41. Les Miles, LSU

42. Charlie Weis, Notre Dame

43. Gary Pinkel, Missouri

44. Mark Dantonio, Michigan State

45. Dave Wannstedt, Pitt

46. Terry Hoeppner, Indiana

47. Tommy Bowden, Clemson

48. Karl Dorrell, UCLA

49. Ron Zook, Illinois

50. Guy Morriss, Baylor

51. Mike Stoops, Arizona

52. Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State

53. Bill Doba, Washington State

54. Ty Willingham, Washington

55. Randy Edsall, UConn

56. Sylvester Croom, Mississippi State

57. Ron Prince, Kansas State

58. Tim Brewster, Minnesota

59. Ted Roof, Duke

60. Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern

61. Jim Harbaugh, Stanford

62. Randy Shannon, Miami (Fla.)

63. Ed Orgeron, Ole Miss

64. Jeff Jagodzinski, Boston College

65. Greg Robinson, Syracuse

66. Gene Chizik, Iowa State

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=202898

UNTOUCHABLES

Five coaches who can't be fired

Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech

Bobby Bowden, Florida State

Mack Brown, Texas

Joe Paterno, Penn State

Jim Tressel, Ohio State

YOUNG AND BEAUTIFUL

Five best coaches 45 and younger

Bret Bielema, Wisconsin (37 at the start of the season)

Urban Meyer, Florida (43)

Rich Rodriguez, West Virginia (44)

Greg Schiano, Rutgers (41)

Jeff Tedford, Cal (45)

METHUSALAS

Five best coaches 60 and over

Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech (60 at the start of the season)

Dennis Erickson, Arizona State (60)

Ralph Friedgen, Maryland (60)

Steve Spurrier, South Carolina (62)

Joe Tiller, Purdue (64)

BEWARE THE COACH

Five most intimidating coaches WTH is Steve Spurrier?

Ralph Friedgen, Maryland Does he still have a job?

Al Groh, Virginia Does he still have a job?

Les Miles, LSU

Nick Saban, Alabama

Mike Stoops, Arizona

CALL THE MORGUE

Five most laid-back coaches

Rich Brooks, Kentucky

Sylvester Croom, Mississippi State

Karl Dorrell, UCLA

Guy Morriss, Baylor

Ty Willingham, Washington

RODNEY DANGERFIELDS

Five most underrated coaches

Jim Grobe, Wake Forest

Bobby Johnson, Vanderbilt

Brian Kelly, Cincinnati

Jim Leavitt, South Florida

Mike Riley, Oregon State

HOT AIR

Five most overrated coaches Totally agree with this bunch.

Lloyd Carr, Michigan

Dennis Franchione, Texas A&M We knew that 7 years ago just looking at his record.

Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee

Les Miles, LSU I think the verdict is very much out on CLM.

Charlie Weis, Notre Dame

SWEET TALKERS

Five best recruiting coaches

Bobby Bowden, Florida State

Mack Brown, Texas

Pete Carroll, USC

Jim Tressel, Ohio State

Ron Zook, Illinois

DEEP THINKERS

Five best coaches at X-ing and O-ing WTH is Steve Spurrier?

Mike Leach, Texas Tech

Tom O'Brien, N.C. State

Mark Richt, Georgia

Rich Rodriguez, West Virginia

Jeff Tedford, Cal

RAH-RAH GUYS

Five best fist-pumping enthusiastic coaches

Pete Carroll, USC

Tim Brewster, Minnesota

Terry Hoeppner, Indiana

Houston Nutt, Arkansas

What a silly waste of time.

dennis erickson in the top 10? yes he won 2 nc's at miami BUT he also got the canes hammered pretty hard by the ncaa. he had the 1 good year at oregon state, but other than that i don't think he's done anything to deserve a top 10 ranking.

Funny thing. Coach Tubs OWNS a certain "other" coach that had "better" talent at the time. Hmmmmmm

What horse's ass has this guy had his head stuck in?

Yea, there's a few that I'd rate Tubs ahead of right off the bat. Jim Grobe (#4???) Kirk Ferentz (I know we've had the debate before but sorry, he ain't better than CTT) and Tom O'Brien?????

And Mark Richt at 23? It's like he got going on the list and went, "Dang, forgot about Richt. Here, I'll throw him in at 23. No one will notice."

Yeah the Big East has better coaches than the SEC...whatever.

SEC has 4 NC coaches and another that went 13-0. Nuff said.

Yeah the Big East has better coaches than the SEC...whatever.

SEC has 4 NC coaches and another that went 13-0. Nuff said.

Couldn't of said it better myself.

Other than RR, what other Big Least coach would even get an interview for an SEC job? None........

I still want someone to explain to me how Nutt is ahead of Richt.

This is like the 3rd coach rankings I have seen this off-season with Richt behind him.

Jim Grobe has one good season and is the 4th best coach in America? Better than the Saban's, Spurrier's, Tubervilles, Richt's, and Stoops' of the world? I've heard it all now.

And, DKW, who do you really think is a better coach between Rich Rod and Saban? Honestly...

Guest Tigrinum Major

RAH-RAH GUYS

Five best fist-pumping enthusiastic coaches

Pete Carroll, USC

Tim Brewster, Minnesota

Terry Hoeppner, Indiana

Houston Nutt, Arkansas

Nutt does pump his fist, he pinches his hands together not unlike a large hyperactive crab.

I don't understand how he came up with these. I'll talk about the first 15 and then the SEC coaches.

1. Ok, gotta give it to Pete Carroll.

2. Tressel is a good coach. I think that Miami should have won in 02 on that pass interference call, but either way, he's won a national championship and 3 Big 11 titles.

3. Rich Rodriguez is a good coach, but not #3. He's taken WVa to 5 straight bowl games, but lost the first three. No matter what happened this year, the Big East is not a good conference.

4. Jim Grobe...are you freaking kidding me??? He is one game over .500 for his career and had one good year in a terrible ACC in 06. I don't see how this is warranted.

5. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma. Bob Stoops has shown us time and time again that he cannot win bowl games. Two national championship games and a loss to Boise State. They were getting hammered and if it weren't for some unbelievable fortune, they would have gotten stomped. Yes he won a national championship and several Big 12 titles, but the Big 12 hasn't been all that good except for Texas. He can recruit, but he's not a great big game coach.

6. Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech. Good coach, deserves to be in the top ten. Don't like the players he gets, but they tend to win games. Has 3 Big East championships and 1 ACC. Will be over 200 career wins in after the 2008 season. Hard to argue with that.

7. Nick Saban, Alabama. A lot of hype. He's a good coach, but not as great as everyone is talking right now. He is 91-42-1 for his NCAA career. MSU was nothing more than a mediocre team when he was there. Had 9 wins his last season there. He had more than 6 wins only one other season at MSU. Basically, he did a good job at LSU, but I'm still not buying the hype. He only deserves to be in the top 10 because of the MNC in 03.

8. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina. Does anything really need to be said about this guy. He's bringing SC to a level they've never tasted before.

9. Dennis Erickson, Arizona State. Really???? He hasn't been a great coach since the late 80's early 90's. His past success is different from Spurrier's. SS has already shown that he can compete with SEC teams. Erickson hasn't done very much since he's been back. Going from college to NFL to college to NFL to college again tells me he doesn't really fit. Doesn't deserve to be near the top ten.

10. Mack Brown, Texas. Pretty good coach. Couldn't beat Okie for a long time but finally got over the hump and then won the MNC. Probably a good spot for him.

11. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa. I don't get the hype. Seems like every year is the year Iowa is going to break through and compeat for the Big 10 championship. He's had the talent, but never put it together. Doesn't deserve a top 15 spot.

12. Urban Meyer, Florida. Meyer just won the MNC against a team that many in the media called "unbeatable." UF navigated the nations toughest schedule and only had one loss. He needs to be higher than 12 on here. Right now, gotta put him top 5.

13. Tom O'Brien, N.C. State. Decent coach, did pretty well at BC. Don't know if he's a top 20 coach, but not bad. We'll see if he can do anything with the wolf pack.

14. Bobby Bowden, Florida State. One of the all time greats, lost his touch in recent years. He can still recruit, but I don't see him competing for a NC anymore.

15. Tommy Tuberville, Auburn. I'm not gonna say much, but 15???? This guy is on drugs.

16. Lloyd Carr, Michigan

17. Mike Bellotti, Oregon

18. Joe Paterno, Penn State

19. Butch Davis, North Carolina

20. Houston Nutt, Arkansas. He always gets so much praise but all I've seen him do was have one good season and then rip the team apart.

21. Bill Callahan, Nebraska

22. Jeff Tedford, Cal

23. Mark Richt, Georgia. Needs to be right around the top ten. UGA hasn't seen the kind of success that he brought since Vince Dooley.

24. Jim Leavitt, South Florida

25. Mike Riley, Oregon State

26. Mike Leach, Texas Tech

27. Steve Kragthorpe, Louisville

28. Ralph Friedgen, Maryland

29. Bobby Johnson, Vanderbilt. Has done a lot without great players and in the nations toughest conference. Can't argue here. Although, I don't know why he's ahead of Fat Phil.

30. Chan Gailey, Georgia Tech

31. Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee. Lost a lot of what he had but is still a good coach. He's had the talent to win more SEC titles, but hasn't come through.

I don't feel like typing anymore.

32. Joe Tiller, Purdue

33. Greg Schiano, Rutgers

34. Al Groh, Virginia

35. Mark Mangino, Kansas

36. Brian Kelly, Cincinnati

37. Dennis Franchione, Texas A&M

38. Dan Hawkins, Colorado

39. Bret Bielema, Wisconsin

40. Rich Brooks, Kentucky

41. Les Miles, LSU

42. Charlie Weis, Notre Dame

43. Gary Pinkel, Missouri

44. Mark Dantonio, Michigan State

45. Dave Wannstedt, Pitt

46. Terry Hoeppner, Indiana

47. Tommy Bowden, Clemson

48. Karl Dorrell, UCLA

49. Ron Zook, Illinois

50. Guy Morriss, Baylor

51. Mike Stoops, Arizona

52. Mike Gundy, Oklahoma State

53. Bill Doba, Washington State

54. Ty Willingham, Washington

55. Randy Edsall, UConn

56. Sylvester Croom, Mississippi State

57. Ron Prince, Kansas State

58. Tim Brewster, Minnesota

59. Ted Roof, Duke

60. Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern

61. Jim Harbaugh, Stanford

62. Randy Shannon, Miami (Fla.)

63. Ed Orgeron, Ole Miss

64. Jeff Jagodzinski, Boston College

65. Greg Robinson, Syracuse

66. Gene Chizik, Iowa State

This is total B.S.

The SEC has 4 coaches with MNCs (Spurrier, Fulmer, Saban, Meyer), not to mention coaches who have won BCS games like Tuberville and Miles. The Big East and ACC have how many coaches with MNCs combined? One - Bobby Bowden.

Beamer will be in the HOF but how many MNCs does he have?

I think the Big East and ACC have some up and coming coaches like Schiano, O'Brien, Leavitt, and Rodriguez, but they still have A LOT to prove.

the only thing that is intimidated by ralph friedgen is golden corral

and al groh? getting shut out twice and losing to east carolina last year...1 win over virginia tech in 6 years?

the sporting will remain bitter over the auburn 03 ranking/cover for the next... over/under 37 years?

I'm perplexed he put Brooks ahead of Miles. :no:

Bait, you are dead on. Does this guy realize that the only reason that Brooks wasn't fired beofre last year is because Kentucky usually doesn't realize they have a football team. Anyone in the football world with half a brain was saying, "Well, Brooks is obviously a lame duck til they can find another no name replacement for him." Then, the guy has a decent year (For Kentucky...and it's about freakin' time) and suddnely he's a better coach than a man who's gone 22-4 in the last 2 years?

This guy's credibility is shot with everyone in America....except ACC fans.

Bait, you are dead on. Does this guy realize that the only reason that Brooks wasn't fired beofre last year is because Kentucky usually doesn't realize they have a football team. Anyone in the football world with half a brain was saying, "Well, Brooks is obviously a lame duck til they can find another no name replacement for him." Then, the guy has a decent year (For Kentucky...and it's about freakin' time) and suddnely he's a better coach than a man who's gone 22-4 in the last 2 years?

The ACC has fans?

Yeah, Brooks is a better coach then Miles. :rolleyes: Especially since in their only meeting, Miles won 49-0. And this was in Brooks' "breakout" season.

I still want someone to explain to me how Nutt is ahead of Richt.

This is like the 3rd coach rankings I have seen this off-season with Richt behind him.

I was going to say that this ranking is bogus because Houston Nutt is at #20.......yeah....right......

Archived