Oh the shame...

GalensGhost

Was sitting in my den this morning with my seven year old daughter and she makes an observation that nearly breaks me in half.

Pointing at the mantle, she says with a sneer "why do we have a picture of him in our house?"

I follow the direction her finger is pointing and my eyes fall on the smirking visage of Bryant leering down. I've got one of those coca cola trays from 1975 commemorating Bryant and Jordan's last game there. I try to explain to her that it's a historic day, blah, blah, blah, celebrating Jordan, blah, blah, blah. And then she says "well why is he over there too? And I realize that on another wall, I've an original of the Bryant/Dye hunting lodge pictures (signed by Dye).

In a panic, I start to count... one, two, three pictures of Dye. One, two, three pictues of Jordan. One of Carnell, one of Ronnie, one, two, three, four of Courtney, one of Jason, one, two of Bo, one of Pat, one of Terry, one of Tuberville, one of Randy Campbell. Okay, I need a few more, but at least I've drowned out Bahr pretty well.

So now I'm wondering. Should I take them down? I don't want to be a part of the idolatry that goes on. And I sure don't want some goober Bammer coming over to my house and noticing pictures of his deity on my walls.

Was sitting in my den this morning with my seven year old daughter and she makes an observation that nearly breaks me in half.

Pointing at the mantle, she says with a sneer "why do we have a picture of him in our house?"

I follow the direction her finger is pointing and my eyes fall on the smirking visage of Bryant leering down. I've got one of those coca cola trays from 1975 commemorating Bryant and Jordan's last game there. I try to explain to her that it's a historic day, blah, blah, blah, celebrating Jordan, blah, blah, blah. And then she says "well why is he over there too? And I realize that on another wall, I've an original of the Bryant/Dye hunting lodge pictures (signed by Dye).

In a panic, I start to count... one, two, three pictures of Dye. One, two, three pictues of Jordan. One of Carnell, one of Ronnie, one, two, three, four of Courtney, one of Jason, one, two of Bo, one of Pat, one of Terry, one of Tuberville, one of Randy Campbell. Okay, I need a few more, but at least I've drowned out Bahr pretty well.

So now I'm wondering. Should I take them down? I don't want to be a part of the idolatry that goes on. And I sure don't want some goober Bammer coming over to my house and noticing pictures of his deity on my walls.

Man, GG. You have feet of clay. Here I thought you were one of the pure. I hope there's no houndstooth in your closet.

Kudos on your seven-year-old for pointing it out, however. At least you're raising your daughter right.

GG, I have two of those coca cola trays as well. I have a bookcase that my dad and I built to display my Auburn collection in. What I did, was stand them up in the back of the book case and put smaller items in front of them. As far as BB goes. I have a few books that I've gotten. Some signed and some not, and I just stand those up in the book case and put them right in front of bb's picture on the trays.

And to think GG, I actually voted for you in the "most hatred of Alabama" category. Now, my whole belief system is screwed.

GG, it is okay. I have a framed newpaper clipping of Gene Stallings. It is from a 1994 issue of the Nashville Tennessean. The headline reads: Low Tide. The picture was taken at Stallings' press conference after the NCAA slapped Bama with probation. He looks like he just downed a big glass of sour milk. Priceless!

GG, I think you are okay. In both instances, the pics of BB are in context - juxtaposed with pictures of his rival coach from the right team. Trust me when I tell you that NO ONE who knows you would ever think you were anywhere close to a bammer lover... B)

It's cool, man. Besides, that tray might just pay for your 7 year old's college someday... :big:

It's cool, man. Besides, that tray might just pay for your 7 year old's college someday... :big:

You never know. I was counting on the comic books I've had for nearly 30 years to help pay for my 16 year old daughter's college, but it looks like that's not going to play out. They're not worth a whole lot more than they were originally. I've got boxes of them, some dating back to the 50s. Mostly Batman. Some Phantom. And of course all the KISS comics ever printed.

There are four or five of the trays on eBay. All around $20 or so.

g4k.jpg.JPG

the only AU reference in my office is the Dye and bear in the hunting lodge, anytime a bammer comments I generally say "It's a cool picture but I wish I know who that is in the picture with Coach Dye" It kills them

GG, My Friend, You must cleanse and purge your home of any such garbage that may poison your family. As the head of the household, it is up to YOU!

Do your duty and do not look back! ! !

Cleanse thy dwelling place of all such vile graven images. Purge thy domicile of wickedness. Thus saith the Titan.

Cleanse thy dwelling place of all such vile graven images. Purge thy domicile of wickedness. Thus saith the Titan.

If you decide to get rid of it, I'll take it. :)

Archived