Top 5 Sports Heroes

After watching the sports montage, I started thinking about my sports heroes. And wondering about others. So here's my top 5.

1. Bobby Orr

2. Bo Jackson

3. Ted Williams

4. Larry Bird

5. Pat Dye

I realize my list has a distinct Boston/Auburn flair.

Heres mine...in no particular order

Michael Jordan

Bo Jackson

Charles Barkley

Hank Aaron

Joe Montana.

1) Bird/Wilkins/Jordan

2) Walter Payton/Bo/Montana

3) Bonds/Dale Murphy/Canseco:McGwire@ Oakland/Nolan Ryan/Ripken

4) Gretzky

Those are the people who I absolutely had to/wanted to watch every time I could growing up. Just the people I can remember, none of the greats that I loved. As for Bonds, he has been my favorite player every since my dad took me to watch the Braves play the Pirates in 1988 I believe it was. I don't get caught up in all the hype surrounding him, I just love to watch him play. After their days in Oakland, I didn't care too much for the 'Bash Brothers'. But I loved watching them in Oakland.

Nice story about Dale Murphy. At another Braves game my Dad took me to when I was younger, I will always remember this. Dale Murphy was my dad's favorite player. The braves were getting slaughtered that day and we had good seats behind their dugout. Every time Murphy walked back to the dugout from striking out, my Dad would stand and clap as loud as he could for him. I had no idea at the time why he was clapping, I just remember thinking....um...he struck out. After his final at-bat he came back out of the dugout with a ball and pointed to my Dad and threw it to him. My dad looked down and upon seeing that he had signed it, gave it to me. I will never forget that day.

Sorry man I'll give you props for liking him since he was at Pittsburgh but for me :puke: Bonds

Sorry man I'll give you props for liking him since he was at Pittsburgh but for me :puke: Bonds

99% of people don't. No biggie. :)

Dale Murphy

Bob Griese

Larry Bird

Bo Jackson

Earl Campbell

In no Particular order:

Bo Jackson

Dale Murphy

Wayne Gretzky

Cal Ripken

Michael Jordan

1. Bo Jackson. Duh.

2. Rulon Gardner. The guy who beat that monster Russki in the Olympics to win gold.

3. Lance Armstrong. Beat cancer, and won the most grueling sports event in the world seven times in a row.

4. Any solo racer in the Whitbread. On a boat alone in the Roaring 40s for weeks on end?

5. My son, Kit, who got his first ever double play last Saturday in little league.

I really wanted to find a place for Walter Payton. That dude was bad like Jesse James. He'd be #6 on the list, I guess.

an American Olympic flavor:

Jim Thorpe: 2 gold medals in pentahlon & decathlon in Stockholm (won 8 of 15 individual events)

Jesse Owens: 4 gold medals in Berlin

Mark Spitz: 7 gold medals in Munich (also 7 world records)

Eric Heiden: 5 gold medals in Lake Placid (all 5 speed skating events from 500m to 10,000m)

Carl Lewis: 10 gold medals, 1 silver spread over 4 Olympics (LA, Seoul, Barcelona & Atlanta)

Archived