Phins don't miss Sabear.

WAR-MATT

Link

In fact, several defensive backs at last weekend's minicamp admitted how much better -- and calmer -- working conditions are without him. Even cornerback Travis Daniels, who played for Saban at LSU and the Dolphins, called it a ''good'' change.
Daniels compared playing for Saban to dealing with a ``father who is always telling you what to do . . . someone breathing down my neck every second.''

Row Tahd!!!!

I think the article is more complimenting than attacking Saban...

As a coach, would i like to be regarded as tough, demanding, and a jerk??? or relaxed and fun???

ummmmmmhhh... I can't remember any coach who was regarded as great in any sports as relaxed and fun.. I guess phil jackson can pass as the only one I can think of..

ummmmmmhhh... I can't remember any coach who was regarded as great in any sports as relaxed and fun.. I guess phil jackson can pass as the only one I can think of..

I believe that Pete Carroll is known for being relaxed and fun-loving, and he does not have any trouble bringing in top ranked classes. Of course, handing out bags of cash can help with that.

I believe that Pete Carroll is known for being relaxed and fun-loving, and he does not have any trouble bringing in top ranked classes. Of course, handing out bags of cash can help with that.

It's also been said that he wouldn't do well (and hasn't in the past) on a pro level...because he's too much of a rah-rah guy. And that he's too hands on telling players what to do.

Mike Shula could be described as "relaxed and fun".

It's also been said that he wouldn't do well (and hasn't in the past) on a pro level...because he's too much of a rah-rah guy. And that he's too hands on telling players what to do.

Mike Shula could be described as "relaxed and fun".

"Bags" is a little strong, don't you think. "Lending a helping hand to the needy" or maybe, "Just trying to help" would be more appropriate. I just don't know how you could describe something as minor as paying a family's mortgage in a phat house as handing out bags of cash. In the future, please refrain from making such insinuations about Pete Carroll and the greatest program in the nation. Thanks you.

boyjeddah, my Shula reference was there to further support your point.

BG, he said a coach that was regarded as great.... Shula in no way fit that bill..

BG, he said a coach that was regarded as great.... Shula in no way fit that bill..

Please read the line you qoted in your post again. Shula was a BAD coach.

As a coach, would i like to be regarded as tough, demanding, and a jerk??? or relaxed and fun???

There's a difference between being tough and demanding and being a complete ass. Saban? Complete ass.

Miami will be better off without him just like Germany is better off without Hitler, Italy is better off without Mussolini and Cambodia is better off without Pol Pot. As history shows those type of guys may succeed in the short run, but their own hubris generally brings them crashing down.

There's a difference between being tough and demanding and being a complete ass. Saban? Complete ass.

Miami will be better off without him just like Germany is better off without Hitler, Italy is better off without Mussolini and Cambodia is better off without Pol Pot. As history shows those type of guys may succeed in the short run, but their own hubris generally brings them crashing down.

Did Saban write this article?

Best thing I've read in a long time. I know Mr. Mayfield was pissed when we hired this guy.

The control freak/intimidation crap doesn't work in the pros when you are roughly napoleons height. You need to be saw like a bill cowher or similar. Someone who most of the players truly fear not just someone they hate for always nipping at their heels.

It sure worked on Manuel Wright. And, why doesn't it work in the pros? Could it be because the majority of the players are overpaid pre-madonnas? Gasp!

It sure worked on Manuel Wright. And, why doesn't it work in the pros? Could it be because the majority of the players are overpaid pre-madonnas? Gasp!

CRINGE!!!!

Can I add to my "I hate this error" top ten list?

Pre-madonna? As in before the Material Girl? As in early Vogue? As in Still a Virgin?

Primadonna. Primadonna. Primadonna.

It worked? I don't think so. I think saban dug his grave with the miami players on that one. Tried to do too much too soon.

It does work with some coaches. That was my point. When you are a heel nipper like saban (short mofo) it is much less likely to work. It works in college because they have to kiss his butt to attempt to get to the next level. At the next level they are like, "who's the shrimp with the tude" .

They admit that they were prepared but it just wasn't "fun." That's classic stuff, right there.

I bet you couldn't put a figure on the number of tears that fell to the Miami turf when Shula left them, could you?

One of my Bammie "Sources" (He used to be a trainer there so you know everything he says is set in stone :big: ) says the difference in the pro and college mentality was the biggest reason Shula didn't succeed. He said it was well known that Shula treated the college kids the same way he'd learned to treat the professionals while he learned his trade. The lack of discipline that many perceived was very real in that he coddled a lot of the players instead of being the strict disciplinarian and laying down the law. I would imagine there was at least a little lack of respect for his authority on the players' part.

I bring up TT obviously because we follow this program so closely. You don't hear players who break the rules indicate anything other than "CTT is gonna' barbecue my a$$".

I bring up TT obviously because we follow this program so closely. You don't hear players who break the rules indicate anything other than "CTT is gonna' barbecue my a$$".

While last summer I semi-defended Shula with the "he's not his dad" argument, I see it totally different now. No, he's not his dad in the real world, but he's dad, mother, uncle, and cousin, all rolled up in one when he's out on that practice field. He obviously didn't have control over his players -- whether it be in the weightroom, on the field, or on a Decatur highway. Can he "babysit" a player? Of course not. He can let them know that a screw-up leads to stadiums and missed games, though. He obviously didn't do that. We were an undisciplined program under his watch and he paid the price. What other team had players jumping up and down in frustration of a coach's call last year? None. That was exhibit A.

With that said, I respect Mike Shula and appreciate what he did for UA as a player and a coach. I really hate that a good man likely has a now tainted view of his school. I wish him nothing but the best and I recognize that he'd love to have the chance to do it all over again... Just differently, this time.

By the way, Plus one to Tuberville for benching Blackmon half of the season. I feel confident that we've already leveled the playing field with you guys on the discipline issue. The players had no choice.

CRINGE!!!!

Can I add to my "I hate this error" top ten list?

Pre-madonna? As in before the Material Girl? As in early Vogue? As in Still a Virgin?

Primadonna. Primadonna. Primadonna.

Wasn't Tina Turner pre-Madonna?

Damn. Did I really type that?

War Damn Eagle! It's pretty much the only thing I can say right now to receive forgiveness. If it's even still possible.

Uhh..."regarded" by whom and when? I remember quite a few Bama fans talking about how great Shula was early in his tenure. 'Course most of them changed their minds as the Shula era progressed. :rolleyes:

Uhh..."regarded" by whom and when? I remember quite a few Bama fans talking about how great Shula was early in his tenure. 'Course most of them changed their minds as the Shula era progressed. :rolleyes:

Kind of like how wc just admitted to completely changing his position on whether or not he was a good disciplinarian?

While last summer I semi-defended Shula with the "he's not his dad" argument, I see it totally different now. No, he's not his dad in the real world, but he's dad, mother, uncle, and cousin, all rolled up in one when he's out on that practice field.

Conveniently he was a great disciplinarian while he was there, and now that he's the scapegoat for all woes that is Bama, he now realizes that he wasn't?

At least you admit that you changed positions unlike some here (cough)BG(cough cough)

Kind of like how wc just admitted to completely changing his position on whether or not he was a good disciplinarian?

While last summer I semi-defended Shula with the "he's not his dad" argument, I see it totally different now. No, he's not his dad in the real world, but he's dad, mother, uncle, and cousin, all rolled up in one when he's out on that practice field.

Conveniently he was a great disciplinarian while he was there, and now that he's the scapegoat for all woes that is Bama, he now realizes that he wasn't?

At least you admit that you changed positions unlike some here (cough)BG(cough cough)

I was wearing the crimson shades. I have to admit it.

Plus, deep down inside, I knew Juwan was desperately needed for Hawaii. I remember making the argument that you couldn't suspend 8 guys in one game. Why not? If they screwed up, they should pay the price.

Archived