The tipping point

GalensGhost

Taking a different approach to the Auburn memories thread, what are the five games you consider most pivotal to Auburn's football history?

1. Alabama at Auburn 1989

We will never come there. And yet they did. They came in unbeaten and left with a whipped tail. It was a day of liberation for Auburn people everywhere.

2. Auburn at Alabama 1982

Nine long years of suffering came to an end when Bo Jackson vaulted over the line and into the endzone. It was the longest drought in the history of the best college football series in the nation. And it sent Bear Bryant to retirement with a loss in his last regular season game.

3. LSU at Auburn 2004

Courtney Taylor catches a fourth down pass and then his first career touchdown as Auburn edges defending national champion LSU 10-9. This was the turning point in an undefeated season. Everything else built off that one game.

4. Georgia at Auburn 1982

Auburn lost, but the team played its guts out. Students and fans remained in the stadium chanting "It's great to be an Auburn Tiger" long after the game was over. The chant was audible in the locker room. The effort AU put forth and the support the team drew from the fans provided the impetus that helped Auburn break Alabama two weeks later.

5. Tennessee at Auburn 1980

Auburn was 2-0 having squeaked by Duke and TCU. Under Doug Barfield and coming off an 8-3 season, the Tigers were supposed to be gathering momentum. A just-completed stadium expansion allowed more fans than ever to pack into Jordan Hare. The Vols thrashed Auburn 42-0. Barfield should have turned his resignation in at the half. He was fired after a 5-6 season and Auburn hired Pat Dye. The loss was worth the eventual gain.

November 2, 1969. My very first Auburn game.

Sullivan's passing and a defense that pulled off nine pass interceptions, an NCAA record, giving Auburn a 38-12 football victory over Florida. We sat on the dirt bank where the visitors' bleachers are today. I watched pissed-off Florida students get drunk and try to turn over a VW bug parked down by the field. I was never the same after that experience.

Sullivan's passing and a defense that pulled off nine pass interceptions, an NCAA record, giving Auburn a 38-12 football victory over Florida. We sat on the dirt bank where the visitors' bleachers are today. I watched pissed-off Florida students get drunk and try to turn over a VW bug parked down by the field. I was never the same after that experience.

What were the overarching ramifications for the program as a whole?

1983 UGA game, clinched Pat Dye's first SEC title. I was at the game as a student.

1993 Florida game left no doubt AU had a really good shot at going 11-0 and did so! Spurrier had dominated Auburn since his arrival.

2004 Virginia Tech game. It capped a perfect season and proved Tuberville could win championships and was not a 4 loss per season coach. The players could have tanked the game emotionally because a shot at a MNMC was basically a long shot at best. WHAT A TEAM, perhaps the best in school history.

I'm gonna go in a different direction here. In my view, games of national importance will take precedence over games of state and conference importance.

1983 Sugar Bowl vs. Michigan: First, this was Auburn's first ever Sugar Bowl win. If memory serves me correctly, this was our first Sugar Bowl ever. After years of watching Bama being coronated as champions following a Sugar Bowl win, it was finally Auburn's turn to claim glory. Second, Auburn defeated a nationally recognized opponent, Michigan, whose team was coached by a legend, Bo Schembechler. After the game, the late Schembechler opined, "Auburn's a class act. If they win the national championship, then I'm all for it." Since there's no such thing as a national champion in college football, I will see this win for what it was. This win was Auburn's coming out party on the national scene.

1994 vs. Florida: For the first time ever, Auburn defeated a #1 ranked opponent on the road in front of a nationally televised audience. Beating Spurrier in the swamp in such dramatic fashion was a great illustration of the guts, heart, and desire that is so common in Auburn teams.

2004 vs. Virginia Tech: Auburn's first undefeated season was consummated with a 16-13 win over the Hokies coached by one of college football's greats, Frank Beamer. Sure, most of us would agree that this was not the most exciting Auburn game that we've ever seen but we can all agree that only a few games in Auburn history have been more important. This win assured Auburn of an unblemished, 13-0 season for the first time in school history. The Sugar Bowl was the final act for the greatest Auburn football team in history.

Seeing as how I was at the two 1982 games, I am leaning towards those. No football memory in my 44 year-old life stands out like Bo Over the Top. Even though no one knew it at the time, that ended completely the 'Bama domination of the country, the SEC and the State. The 1983 victory over 'Bama to win the SEC is #2 in my mind as the tipping point.

Nov 23 2002

Bama Vs Auburn @ Bryant Denny

This was Frans second season and we coming off a horible 2001 Iron Bowl performance. Tre Smith ripped them for 126 yards filling in for a hurt Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams. THis game started our dominance of the past 5 years.

17-7

What were the overarching ramifications for the program as a whole?

The fact that I became a major fan. And given how Florida was undefeated at the time, it marked Auburn and Pat Sullivan's emergence on the scene after a long drought of mediocrity in the 1960s.

IMO It wasn't a game that turned Auburn around. It was a man... On 1-2-1981, Coach Dye took over as Head Coach. From that day on things were different in Auburn. No longer did we play second fiddle to Bama. Auburn became and still remains the best program in the State. Since 1981 Auburn has more wins, more SEC Titles and more undefeated seasons than our cross State rival. This was the turning point. Auburn would have to go winless for two straight seasons and Bama would have to go undefeated for two straight seasons for Bama to catch us in wins. Auburn leads 15-10 against Bama, 5-3 in SEC Titles and 2-1 in undefeated seasons. 1892-1980 Auburn was 448-296-4 (.597) winning percentage. 1981 to present Auburn is 219-88-5 (.710) winning percentage. Pat Dye changed Auburn Football forever and I hope nobody ever forgets that...WDE

My Webpage

I can't believe nobody listed 1988: Auburn 6, LSU 7 yet.

If EITHER Hodson doesn't throw a TD w/ a minute to play OR our QB hits our wide open receiver down the middle 10 seconds later, we're playing (a very average Notre Dame team) in a national championship game for the FIRST AND ONLY TIME in AU football history.

As it was, we lost 13-7 in the Sugar Bowl to an FSU team that was much better than ND and smoking on all cylinders @ the end of the season...and even then only because the officials let FSU CB Dedrick Dodge mug (Weygand?) on the 1 yard line w/ under a minute to play (I remember commentator Dan Dierdorf going NUTS when the officals didn't call interference).

How about tying Ga Tech in 1958 as our only blemish that year when we're off probation and had a chance for an outright MNC (we were off the 1957 probation).

11/22/2003. Auburn beats UAT 28-23. The win, combined with a Montgomery Advertiser reporter's investigation, blows up the plot by Lowder and his lackys to remove CTT. We keep a good coach and Auburn fans and grads take back control of OUR school and OUR football team.

If EITHER Hodson doesn't throw a TD w/ a minute to play OR our QB hits our wide open receiver down the middle 10 seconds later, we're playing (a very average Notre Dame team) in a national championship game for the FIRST AND ONLY TIME in AU football history.

One of the worst days of my life. My soul ached after that one. We would have beaten Notre Dame by 20.

As it was, we lost 13-7 in the Sugar Bowl to an FSU team that was much better than ND and smoking on all cylinders @ the end of the season...and even then only because the officials let FSU CB Dedrick Dodge mug (Weygand?) on the 1 yard line w/ under a minute to play (I remember commentator Dan Dierdorf going NUTS when the officals didn't call interference).

How about tying Ga Tech in 1958 as our only blemish that year when we're off probation and had a chance for an outright MNC (we were off the 1957 probation).

I initially elected to stay away from the "losses". Some of them just hurt too bad to think about.

How about either the 02 UF or UGA games? Win just one of those, which we could have easily and AU is playing in the SECCG. As strong as we finished that season, we probably would have won it. The 88 LSU game probably cost us the MNC, so that one would be #1 on my list too.

I initially elected to stay away from the "losses". Some of them just hurt too bad to think about.

How about either the 02 UF or UGA games? Win just one of those, which we could have easily and AU is playing in the SECCG. As strong as we finished that season, we probably would have won it. The 88 LSU game probably cost us the MNC, so that one would be #1 on my list too.

To me those are "what if" games. "What if" Auburn had won. From the standpoint of games that were "tipping points" these don't really apply. None of these losses really affected what happened the remainder of the season or in seasons to come -- other than in the "what if" factor. And you can't really quantify "what ifs" because you don't know how any of the ifs would have played out. Maybe in 1988 if we do beat LSU we lose to somebody else... anyway....

I don't make the rules, I was just wondering about games where you could make a definitive case for them being program changing moments.

That was a real bummer, alright. MNC is in our hands. We allow a pass right over the middle.

Historically, maybe the eleventh-most important game in AU history. (The 10 in 1957 rank ahead, since they produced a MNC.)

One that I think of is 2000 Wyoming at Auburn.

Not a big game on the national scene but it was very losable with Auburn looking bad at times. Instead of folding like we would have the two previous years Rudi Johnson put the team on his back and carried us to victory with two long touchdown runs to put the game away. It was a big deal because Auburn had not had a 1,000 yard rusher since Stephen Davis in 1995 and this was our coming out party as a dominant rushing team after the pass centered offense of Bowden. After seeing the way Rudi was utilized Carnell signed with Auburn. Carnell and Ronnie begat Kenny, Kenny begat Ben and Enrique. He also reopened the NFL pipeline of tailbacks from Auburn.

Just as a note, this was my first AU game also. I sat in the wooden bleachers in the north end zone, basically the same place you sat and it was a great game. Florida had John Reaves who was being touted as a Heisman trophy candidate. I would also consider it in my personal top five for same reason as you. It was the day I was solidified as an AU fan and later on to become an AU man.

Guest Tigrinum Major

1983 Sugar Bowl vs. Michigan: First, this was Auburn's first ever Sugar Bowl win. If memory serves me correctly, this was our first Sugar Bowl ever.

Only if you were born after 1971 would your memory be correct.

That was a real bummer, alright. MNC is in our hands. We allow a pass right over the middle.

Historically, maybe the eleventh-most important game in AU history. (The 10 in 1957 rank ahead, since they produced a MNC.)

This is a great observation. LSU had not crossed the 50 the entire second half. Our defense owned them all night and what do we do when LSU gets the ball back for one last chance to drive the length of the filed?

Yep. Prevent defense. The MNC was very attainable that year. Didn't West Virginia play ND for it? Neither of those teams looked very good that year. I'm going off memory here but I believe AU shut out the next 4 opponents that year after LSU including Florida in Gainesville. Bottom line, had we not gone into a prevent that last drive, we play for the MNC.

My Five:

1892: Auburn 10 - Georgia 0. First Auburn game. First college football game in the Deep South. First Auburn win. First game in our most-played rivalry.

1937: Auburn 7 - Villanova 7. First Auburn bowl game. First bowl game between American colleges played in another country.

1982: Bo Over the Top. Auburn 23-Bama 22: Broke the Tide's streak. The starting point to Auburn's domination in the 1980's (and in some form continuing today)

1989: First Auburn Iron Bowl. Auburn 30-Bama 20. Equal standing.

2004: Auburn 16 -VT 13: Not the best game, but the capper on an undefeated season. Still used as an example of what is wrong w/ the BCS.

In all Auburn history:

1893 - first Iron Bowl, Auburn win

1949 - Iron Bowl, second game played after the resurgence of the game, big upset win for Auburn.

1957 - Tennessee game, big win in close game, got Auburn publicity as undefeated team.

1971 - Georgia game, big win in Athens, Sullivan on full display for Heisman.

1983 - Iron Bowl, Auburn won SEC and beat Bammer for second year in row, Bo on full display.

and an extra - 1989 - Iron Bowl, nuff said.

In recent Auburn history, (Tuberville era) :

2000 - SEC championship game, Tuberville's second year is SEC West champ, lost but still proved that Auburn was back on the rise.

2002 - Iron Bowl, big upset win for Auburn.

2003 - Iron Bowl, rallying point game for Tuberville and Auburn after Jetgate.

2004 - LSwho game, big win over defending national chump, big publicity for Auburn.

2006 - Iron Bowl, 5th in a row, proved again that not beating Auburn can cost you your job.

Ryan

Archived