WTF?

MURFREESBORO, Tennessee (AP) -- Staff members of an elementary school staged a fictitious gun attack on students during a class trip, telling them it was not a drill as the children cried and hid under tables.

The mock attack Thursday night was intended as a learning experience and lasted five minutes during the weeklong trip to a state park, said Scales Elementary School Assistant Principal Don Bartch, who led the trip.

"We got together and discussed what we would have done in a real situation," he said.

But parents of the sixth-grade students were outraged. (Watch student recount incident, mother react )

"The children were in that room in the dark, begging for their lives, because they thought there was someone with a gun after them," said Brandy Cole, whose son went on the trip.

Some parents said they were upset by the staff's poor judgment in light of the April 16 shootings at Virginia Tech that left 33 students and professors dead, including the gunman.

During the last night of the trip, staff members convinced the 69 students that there was a gunman on the loose. They were told to lie on the floor or hide underneath tables and stay quiet. A teacher, disguised in a hooded sweat shirt, even pulled on a locked door.

After the lights went out, about 20 kids started to cry, 11-year-old Shay Naylor said.

"I was like, 'Oh My God,' " she said. "At first I thought I was going to die. We flipped out."

Principal Catherine Stephens declined to say whether the staff members involved would face disciplinary action, but said the situation "involved poor judgment."

Yeah, that's pretty messed up. Someone needs to stage a ficticious breaking and entering and rape on the staff members at their home but not tell them it's just a drill to see how they react. Sounds fair.

Principal Catherine Stephens....said the situation "involved poor judgment."

Yeah, no, really? Ya think? Geez.

It is good training for the brats.

I'd like to see the administration pull something like this at R.E. Lee H.S. in Montgomery or Central Tuscaloosa. All the teachers would probably be killed by the students before it was announced it was a drill.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I'd like to see the administration pull something like this at R.E. Lee H.S. in Montgomery or Central Tuscaloosa. All the teachers would probably be killed by the students before it was announced it was a drill.

This post has a definite undertone, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

The mock attack Thursday night was intended as a learning experience and lasted five minutes during the weeklong trip to a state park, said Scales Elementary School Assistant Principal Don Bartch, who led the trip.

Here's a wacky idea....instead of week long trips to state parks ( Isn't that what summer camp is for ? ) why not teach things like math, science, history, etc in school. And if they're SERIOUS about teaching safety and crisis situation classes, then by all means, offer it up as an elective. Or maybe an all day event, do something constructive, what ever is done, inform the parents BEFORE hand. Don't half - ass your way through it with some stunt like this where you just KNOW the lawyers are probably trolling around like a hungry group of sharks in a feeding frenzy.

Is it me, or are teachers just getting more and more dumb as the years go by ?

It would imply that various students carry concealed weapons to class at various high schools in the state of Alabama.

Guest Tigrinum Major

It would imply that various students carry concealed weapons to class at various high schools in the state of Alabama.

Ah, but you chose to illustrate your point with two schools that would possibly conjur images of a certain demographic.

Tell me, do you think that students at Spring Garden or Ranburne are capable of such actions?

Ah, but you chose to illustrate your point with two schools that would possibly conjur images of a certain demographic of police officers having to return fire after being targeted in front of the school.

Tell me, do you think that students at Spring Garden or Ranburne are capable of such actions?

Prosectution Evidence #1B:

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?...61971>1=7701

Lawsuit Over Brokeback Mountain in Class

May 13, 7:20 PM EST

The Associated Press

A girl and her grandparents have sued the Chicago Board of Education, alleging that a substitute teacher showed the R-rated film "Brokeback Mountain" in class.

The lawsuit claims that Jessica Turner, 12, suffered psychological distress after viewing the movie in her 8th grade class at Ashburn Community Elementary School last year.

The film, which won three Oscars, depicts two cowboys who conceal their homosexual affair.

Turner and her grandparents, Kenneth and LaVerne Richardson, are seeking around $500,000 in damages.

"It is very important to me that my children not be exposed to this," said Kenneth Richardson, Turner's guardian. "The teacher knew she was not supposed to do this."

According to the lawsuit filed Friday in Cook County Circuit Court, the video was shown without permission from the students' parents and guardians.

The lawsuit also names Ashburn Principal Jewel Diaz and a substitute teacher, referred to as "Ms. Buford."

The substitute asked a student to shut the classroom door at the West Side school, saying: "What happens in Ms. Buford's class stays in Ms. Buford's class," according to the lawsuit.

Richardson said his granddaughter was traumatized by the movie and had to undergo psychological treatment and counseling.

In 2005, Richardson complained to school administrators about reading material that he said included curse words.

"This was the last straw," he said. "I feel the lawsuit was necessary because of the warning I had already given them on the literature they were giving out to children to read. I told them it was against our faith."

Messages left over the weekend with CPS officials were not immediately returned.

Sure I'm a liberal, but politics or personal opinions on homosexuality aside (which is why I didn't post in the "Politically Speaking" forum):

How dumb does a teacher have to be to think this would fly in ANY high school class without creating trouble...much less the 8th grade where they aren't even old enough to get into R-rated movies ? :blink:

And of course any teacher that believes "What happens in Ms. Buford's class stays in Ms. Buford's class" is an idiot.

Avoidance isn't an acceptable tactic.

I retract my comments, your morals and ethical standing are impeccable compared to mine.

Forgive me, I am just a pawn in your world.

Here's a wacky idea....instead of week long trips to state parks ( Isn't that what summer camp is for ? ) why not teach things like math, science, history, etc in school. And if they're SERIOUS about teaching safety and crisis situation classes, then by all means, offer it up as an elective. Or maybe an all day event, do something constructive, what ever is done, inform the parents BEFORE hand. Don't half - ass your way through it with some stunt like this where you just KNOW the lawyers are probably trolling around like a hungry group of sharks in a feeding frenzy.

I may be a shark and hungry, but I do NOT troll. Hover or wait patiently to move in for the kill...maybe. But, I do not troll. Please refrain from engaging in these stereotypes in the future.

Thank you.

Ah, but you chose to illustrate your point with two schools that would possibly conjur images of a certain demographic.

I'll go on record now as saying that more brothers at the afore mentioned schools would be packing than the white boys at the aft mentioned schools. Just a matter of demographics......

But hey, I'm just jaded. It has nothing to do with statistics....

No. There have always been stupid teachers. Remember the days when getting under a desk would protect you from a nuclear attack?

How do you know the trip to the state park wasn't constructive or productive? There are plenty of things to learn outside of textbooks.

No. There have always been stupid teachers. Remember the days when getting under a desk would protect you from a nuclear attack?

How do you know the trip to the state park wasn't constructive or productive? There are plenty of things to learn outside of textbooks.

Yep. My kids take a week to Camp McDowell. They learn all kinds of things. It's kind of cool.

Archived