Company migrates to Vista

...so far, we've found nothing that works better than in Windows XP, dozens of things that are annoyingly different without being a functional improvement, and several things that work at best intermittently and at worst not at all. On the whole, we wish we'd never moved.

We should point out at the start that we migrated to Windows Vista under supposedly optimal circumstances. We waited for a few weeks before even thinking about it, so that we'd avoid any early release showstopper bugs. We purchased a machine from a prominent manufacturer (Lenovo) with Vista pre-installed, so we could avoid the upgrade nightmares that have plagued everyone else we know who's been forced to shift to Vista. (OK, that's not entirely true; a handful of Microsoft employees have told us their Vista migration was trouble-free. You can decide for yourself how valid that testimony is.) And we've deliberately kept the installed software on the machine to a minimum, to minimise the chance of an incompatible application blowout...

http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/12147/1101/1/0/

We've got a handful of folks in our office that are on Vista right now (our SysAdmin team) and everyone of them hate it. I had volunteered to be in the next phase of Vista upgrades in the office but I'm begging off until it gets to running better.

I thought you were a Machead, TT.

Or does this further cement your feelings for Apple?

I'm a total Macaddict. But my new employer is an all Windows shop except for the Unix servers that run our most critical and secured information. :)

In my consulting firm, the IT shop has emailed everyone telling them to not upgrade due to compatibility problems with some of the PeopleSoft tools we use.

My wife's new laptop came with it preloaded, and I'm not very fond of it, to be honest. We've had strange things happen. When surfing the net with either FireFox or IE, the text in the middle of a paragraph will change to white. Links color will also match the background, but you can move your cursor over the link and see the link underline. I've looked at the HTML source, and can find no reason why the font color would change. We blew away our internet cache, and then rebooted, and it worked fine.

Very strange.

My mother wanted to upgrade and did and she hates it beyond belief.

Because of Vista not working with BOTH printers due to driver issues and the startup being 2x slower than XP....she is even considering switching to Mac

And I am begging her too

Archived