black panthers in alabama

okay, i'll preface this by stating that i know some people are going to be offended by this but here it goes. Over the years i've heard story after story about someone's cousin seeing a "black panther" in alabama. I've heard this from people from mobile to huntsville. My point is, where's the proof? Everyone describes the noise they make as sounding like a woman screaming, kinda like the tornado sounding like a freight train thing. The state says that there have never been any validated sightings of black panthers, however in the past there have been cougars found here. I buy that we have had cougars, but black ones? I'm not buying it.

okay, i'll preface this by stating that i know some people are going to be offended by this but here it goes. Over the years i've heard story after story about someone's cousin seeing a "black panther" in alabama. I've heard this from people from mobile to huntsville. My point is, where's the proof? Everyone describes the noise they make as sounding like a woman screaming, kinda like the tornado sounding like a freight train thing. The state says that there have never been any validated sightings of black panthers, however in the past there have been cougars found here. I buy that we have had cougars, but black ones? I'm not buying it.

You might be hearing a barred owl.

Sounds like the dreaded chupacabra is making its way east...keep your eyes open and your goats locked up.

Sounds like the dreaded chupacabra is making its way east...keep your eyes open and your goats locked up.

I think the Chupacabra was last spotted on the "LOST" island. Did anyone see the episode where the guy was from Jasper Alabama, that is my old stomping grounds.

Over the years i've heard story after story about someone's cousin seeing a "black panther" in alabama. Everyone describes the noise they make as sounding like a woman screaming

Used to hear these screams when I was growing up in St Clair county. My old man said it was a cougar. Supposedly, bald rock mountain (runs through St Clair county between Pell City and Brompton) is full of mountain lions. Never went out looking for them, so I don't know whether there are any black ones or not.

Rumor has it that Pell City High School's mascot, the panther, was chosen because of the wild predatory cat population around the area.

I don't know about black panthers but I can tell you that urban cougars are alive and well.

It was a lynx. We called 'em souped up wildcats in Waymore County!

I don't know about black panthers but I can tell you that urban cougars are alive and well.

:roflol: I can confirm a spotting or two.

:roflol: I can confirm a spotting or two.

Gotta be careful. They'll attack when you're intoxicated and when you least expect it.

I think the Chupacabra was last spotted on the "LOST" island. Did anyone see the episode where the guy was from Jasper Alabama, that is my old stomping grounds.

I think Sawyer was in Jasper, AL when his parents were conned by the real Sawyer.

It was a lynx. We called 'em souped up wildcats in Waymore County!

and they got great big tushes sticking out of their mouth and great big claws at the end of their feet.

Woooo shoot this thang!

I swear to god I saw a black panther while hunting somewhere near Pike County about 10 years ago. It was one of the scariest things I have seen. I was sitting in a tree stand on a little dirt path in the middle of the woods. About 40 yards to my right, the road split and then curved back more to the right where I couldn't see. I was looking to my left when I spotted something out of the corner of my eye walking down where the little path split. I slowly turned my head to look and it was a BIG ASS BLACK CAT. This thing was huge!!! Needless to say I almost crapped my pants. He didn't see me, kept walking down the path around the curve out of site. I could have sworn he was a panther. I saw his distinct shoulder blades moving up and down while he walking (you know how panthers or big cats do) and when he was walking the front of his paws were dragging the ground almost because they were so big. The whole thing took place in about 5-7 seconds but I was only about 40 yards from him so I now what I saw! I made up my mind if he walked by again I was going to shoot him and make up a story that he charged me if I got caught, just so people would believe he was real. Needless to say though, I didn't wait till dark to get out of the stand and nearly ran back to the truck!

Needless to say though, I didn't wait till dark to get out of the stand and nearly ran back to the truck!

Probably a good idea. There was an article in Field and Stream a while back about cougar (puma, mountain lion, panther, all the same thing) attacks out west increasing due to overpopulation and people intruding more and more into their habitats. One of the things it mentioned was that if you get attacked by a big cat here in the states you should fight back, cougars are not territorial so if you get attacked by one it is because he is hungry or threatened. Playing dead like you are supposed to do for grizzly attacks will not work. Also I have heard the same thing about black bears in the Smokies. They do not attack for territorial reasons, if you are attacked by a black bear it is because he feels you are a threat or he is extremely hungry.

Archived