Immigration Bill opponents don't want what right for America

TexasTiger

Bush only has one persuasive tactic-- question his opponents commitment to America.

Now that he's turning that on most of you "conservatives" here, what do you think?

Bush Attacks Immigration Deal Opponents

GLYNCO, Ga. (AP) - President Bush attacked opponents of an immigration deal Tuesday, suggesting they "don't want to do what's right for America."

"The fundamental question is, will elected officials have the courage necessary to put a comprehensive immigration plan in place," Bush said against a backdrop of a huge American flag.

He described his proposal—which has been agreed to by a bipartisan group of senators—as one that "makes it more likely we can enforce our border—and at the same time uphold the great immigrant tradition of the United States of America."

Bush spoke at the nation's largest training center for law enforcement.

He chose the get-tough setting as conservative critics blast a Senate proposal as being soft on people who break the law. Hoping to blunt that message, Bush emphasized that any new options for immigrants and foreign workers would not start until tougher security is in place.

The presidential stop came during a congressional recess, with senators back home and facing pressure from the left and right on the immigration plan. Bush's aim is to build momentum for the legislation, perhaps his best chance for a signature victory in his second term. The Senate expects to resume debate on it next week.

"A lot of Americans are skeptical about immigration reform, primarily because they don't think the government can fix the problems," Bush said.

"And my answer to the skeptics is: give us a chance to fix the problems in a comprehensive way that enforces our border and treats people with decency and respect. Give us a chance to fix this problem. Don't try to kill this bill before it gets moving," Bush told students and instructors at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center.

Bush repeatedly cast the matter as one of political courage.

"Those determined to find fault with this bill will always be able to look at a narrow slice of it and find something they don't like," the president said. "If you want to kill the bill, if you don't want to do what's right for America, you can pick one little aspect out of it.

"You can use it to frighten people," Bush said. "Or you can show leadership and solve this problem once and for all."

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8...;show_article=1

I vote Kill the BILL. Send Paco back home. Build a fence. Shoot anything that crosses it. Leave the corps rotting for others to see.

I vote Kill the BILL. Send Paco back home. Build a fence. Shoot anything that crosses it. Leave the corps rotting for others to see.

Your boy George says you don't want what's good for America.

So we have a difference of opinion. It's not his ass in sling if this passes, it's my senators and reps that have already got my message on this issue. Congress is in control of this, not Bush.

So we have a difference of opinion. It's not his ass in sling if this passes, it's my senators and reps that have already got my message on this issue. Congress is in control of this, not Bush.

He has to sign it.

If someone doesn't want what good for America, are they good Americans?

I have been against Bush's immigration policy since it was made known. I may have voted for him and support him, but I also do not have to agree with all of his ideas either. I think this points system was better then what they started out with in this bill, but I don't think it was the answer either. If he was standing in front of me right now, I would let him know right up front what I thought about his comment too, because it was pretty ignorant on his part.

I think because he does not have to worry about a re-election, he does not give a crap who he alienates, but I can bet you that other republicans up for election cringed when they heard him say that. That is why I have never claimed to be a member of a party, because I will not swear allegiance to a party and blindly support all of their candidates.

Please answer your question.

I think Bush is calling you out.

So you don't care to answer your own question? It's a simple question and a simple request, no hidden agenda.

So you don't care to answer your own question? It's a simple question and a simple request, no hidden agenda.

I think the implication of his phrasing is that those who disagree with him are not good Americans.

Otherwise, one says "We disagree on what is best for America." Bush consistently says his opponents don't want what is good for America. On this issue, that includes much of his "base."

I think the implication of his phrasing is that those who disagree with him are not good Americans.

Otherwise, one says "We disagree on what is best for America." Bush consistently says his opponents don't want what is good for America. On this issue, that includes much of his "base."

So Bush is not the enemy now?

Well, it's no secret that Bush is a halfwit. Just look at this bill and the Medicare Prescription Act. Two monumental--and disastrous--pieces of legislation.

My question is this: If we are still fighting the so called "War on Poverty" why do we need to import more poverty to fight?

And this doesn't apply to just Bush but all of those nimrods in Congress.

My question is this: If we are still fighting the so called "War on Poverty" why do we need to import more poverty to fight?

:clap: Bingo! The President is the easy target because he is the figurehead, but we forget that there are other idiots right there with him in both parties.

As far as Bush being a halfwit, well if that is the true, then it must be a lot easier to graduate from an Ivy League school then what I have heard. I might not agree with him all the time either, but I do think the man is very intelligent. I don't like Bill Clinton and I do not like a lot of things he did as President, but I will not doubt how smart the man is. Now if you are referring to common sense, I think most of the D.C. politicians are lacking in that area.

:clap: Bingo! The President is the easy target because he is the figurehead, but we forget that there are other idiots right there with him in both parties.

As far as Bush being a halfwit, well if that is the true, then it must be a lot easier to graduate from an Ivy League school then what I have heard. I might not agree with him all the time either, but I do think the man is very intelligent. I don't like Bill Clinton and I do not like a lot of things he did as President, but I will not doubt how smart the man is. Now if you are referring to common sense, I think most of the D.C. politicians are lacking in that area.

If our president were that smart, then he would be able to write V-E-T-O on this piece of legislation. As it is, he is fundamentally short-sighted. And, if you will recall, as leader of the Republican party, the president has say so on Republican legislative manuevering. It's not like the Minority whips in both the Senate and the House woke up one morning and said, "Hey, let's just wheel into line with this legislation." The president was behind this legislation from the beginning.

And, as far as the Medicare Prescription act is concerned, it was his brainchild, introduced into Congress, and signed into law on his desk, so he is indeed culpable. There is already rumblings concerning how much this catastrophic legislation will be costing the country. Try defending him on that.

And, as far as the Medicare Prescription act is concerned, it was his brainchild, introduced into Congress, and signed into law on his desk, so he is indeed culpable. There is already rumblings concerning how much this catastrophic legislation will be costing the country. Try defending him on that.

You should just put this in your signature. That way those of us tired of hearing you lament over it could just turn off the signatures.

I ask only one thing otter, why is it catastrophic legislation? Where are you getting that from? It might not be the best piece of legislation ever passed, but "catastrophic"? I think we are still years away from knowing the outcome from that. Even though I was not jumping up and down with glee when it was passed, I also am not ready to cry that that the sky is falling over it either. I think there are more pressing things on Congress and the President's agenda to worry about then Medicare Prescription plan that was passed.

However, again, I was not defending his mistakes in legislation, because all Presidents are going to make them, but I was just responding to the fact that it is kind of hard to be a halfwit, intellectually speaking of course, and graduate from an Ivy League school. However I can agree that one could lack some common sense, because there are plenty of "book smart" people that have struggle with common sense issues.

I guess I just look at certain things with a different point of view or with a different sense of importance then you do. To each his own.

Archived