Anyone else think this is a problem?

TexasTiger

The attitude is pervasive in certain areas and by the media. The denial of recruiters to public schools does not give young men and women the opportunity to join the military. If recruiters were given the respect which they deserve and access there might be fewer "morality" waivers needed.

Maybe if certain elected leaders such as John Kerry supported military service rather than denigrating service as a place for the uneducated, there would be fewer "morality" waivers needed.

Maybe if our national media would tell the entire story of the war and let the good new out, there would be fewer"morality waivers" needed.

Gang activity was not a problem when I was active. Under Reagan, service was a respected career option and as such refelected America. My attitude was I don't need problem airmen because there are two more out there who want your job.

The Army is a legitimate means of escape for anyone trying to escape their background and from the gang life for those who really want it. For those who don't want to take advantage of the opportunity, they are soon returned to you.

180px-Unclesamwantyou.jpg

The attitude is pervasive in certain areas and by the media.

Bollocks. The percentage of people who truly hate the military and our service men and women is extremely small, much less pervasive. Even some of the most liberal cities in the country where opposition to the Iraq War is highest still have the vast majority of the people in that camp holding a position of anger toward Bush and the architects of this war while supporting or at least being sympathetic toward the troops being put in harm's way.

The denial of recruiters to public schools does not give young men and women the opportunity to join the military. If recruiters were given the respect which they deserve and access there might be fewer "morality" waivers needed.

I imagine if it's as widespread a problem as you say, and it's against the law, then recruiters would be having a field day in the courts right now forcing schools to allow them in. My bet is that in a handful of situations with obstinant school administrators, this is happening. It's certainly not the reason the military is having to meet it's recruiting goals by letting in convicted felons.

Maybe if certain elected leaders such as John Kerry supported military service rather than denigrating service as a place for the uneducated, there would be fewer "morality" waivers needed.

True. Then again, if more people felt like our military were being sent to places for the right reasons or given missions that make sense and being given all the things necessary for success, more people would be signing up as well. We could speculate all day as to why it's gotten to the point where we lower the bar to let gangbangers in but it isn't any one reason.

Maybe if our national media would tell the entire story of the war and let the good new out, there would be fewer"morality waivers" needed.

Maybe. Fox News does a pretty good job of getting good news out and they are the most watched cable news network by far. So perhaps there are other reasons?

Gang activity was not a problem when I was active. Under Reagan, service was a respected career option and as such refelected America. My attitude was I don't need problem airmen because there are two more out there who want your job.

The Army is a legitimate means of escape for anyone trying to escape their background and from the gang life for those who really want it. For those who don't want to take advantage of the opportunity, they are soon returned to you.

No one has claimed otherwise, but how things were back in your day doesn't really explain the problem we're having now. I don't actually have a problem with people who have past gang affiliations being let in, but if they are convicted felons, if they've demonstrated no true desire to leave their gang affliations and loyaties behind for good, then we shouldn't artificially pump up the numbers by letting hoodlums into our armed forces.

The attitude is pervasive in certain areas and by the media.

Bollocks. The percentage of people who truly hate the military and our service men and women is extremely small, much less pervasive. Even some of the most liberal cities in the country where opposition to the Iraq War is highest still have the vast majority of the people in that camp holding a position of anger toward Bush and the architects of this war while supporting or at least being sympathetic toward the troops being put in harm's way

Recruiters are still being kept out of those schools and physically threatened

The denial of recruiters to public schools does not give young men and women the opportunity to join the military. If recruiters were given the respect which they deserve and access there might be fewer "morality" waivers needed.

I imagine if it's as widespread a problem as you say, and it's against the law, then recruiters would be having a field day in the courts right now forcing schools to allow them in. My bet is that in a handful of situations with obstinant school administrators, this is happening. It's certainly not the reason the military is having to meet it's recruiting goals by letting in convicted felons.

I don't have an answer for the administrations failure to procecute. I also don't have an answere to why the adminstration does not cut off federal money to illegal immigrant sanctuary cities as prescribed by law. I don't have an answer for why the administration fails to enforce immigration laws.

True. Then again, if more people felt like our military were being sent to places for the right reasons or given missions that make sense and being given all the things necessary for success, more people would be signing up as well. We could speculate all day as to why it's gotten to the point where we lower the bar to let gangbangers in but it isn't any one reason.

see below. Who is really lying to the American people?

Maybe. Fox News does a pretty good job of getting good news out and they are the most watched cable news network by far. So perhaps there are other reasons?

Fox is but a small portion of the national media. ABCCBSNCBNYTWAPOAPRUETERSCNNMSNBCCNBC does pretty good job at perpetuating myths and misconception. Hell, even FOX uses AP and they have still have that lame brain Sheppard Smith. Look at your adherance to the veracity of this news report. My reaction is "What is the rest of they story?" I do not consider hidden camera ambushers as legitimate jounalists.

[The Army is a legitimate means of escape for anyone trying to escape their background and from the gang life for those who really want it. For those who don't want to take advantage of the opportunity, they are soon returned to you.

No one has claimed otherwise, but how things were back in your day doesn't really explain the problem we're having now. I don't actually have a problem with people who have past gang affiliations being let in, but if they are convicted felons, if they've demonstrated no true desire to leave their gang affliations and loyaties behind for good, then we shouldn't artificially pump up the numbers by letting hoodlums into our armed forces.

Somehow I feel sure that the Army looks at each waiver and judges it on the severity and the merits as per approved guidelines. As with any soldier regardless of origin, when they demonstrate bad behavior, you are allow to retrieve them.

Archived