Saturday Practice

AUesquire

Had the opportunity through Tigers Unlimited to go to practice Saturday and meet some of the players, coaches etc. After the scrimmage the night before, they just practiced in shells and went through a lot of specific drills and fundamentals. A few quick notes and observations:

1. Those of you who are worried about recruiting and the future of Auburn football...DON'T BE! As the players came out of the complex, the first thing I was interested in was getting a look at this highly touted freshman class. I was not disappointed. Two players stopped and talked with a man and his son and I just stood there in awe. I'm 6'3" and around 220. These guys made me feel like Terry Bowden. Chaz Ramsey and Jared Cooper, both listed around 6'4" and 290+. Sorry, the stats were wrong. They missed it by at least 2 inches and 20-30 pounds. And they're probably going to redshirt.

2. Lee Ziemba. Everything positive you've read about this young man should be believed and then multiplied X5. This is a full grown man. He's tall, lean, fast and strong. He stands out big time. He still can't block Q but then again, who can? :lol: The fight for that position is between Ziemba, McCain and Gonzales. My money is on Ziemba. Until you see this kid up close and personal, you can't really understand what an incredible athlete he is. The future being bright at that position is an understatement.

3. Defensive Line: The 1's were Q, Marks, Thompson and Sims. Sims and Marks are beasts. If they stay healthy, they will hurt quite a lot of hapless opponents. Quentin is the best athlete on the entire field, bar none. I don't know about the rest of the league, but there's no one on Auburn's squad that can block him. Again, barring injuries, the 2's are a small step behind. Blanc is scary and Goggans, along with Zach Clayton are bulls with motors that never stop.

4. Defensive Backs: I watched a ton of drills with this group along with the 7 0n 7 scrimmage. I feel extremely good about this group now. We're much deeper than I imagined with Powers, Etheridge, Lee, Savage etc. Back to our freshman class. Eric Brock, a senior, is easily the smoothest athlete of the bunch. That dude is in incredible shape and looks very confident. But, Michael McNeil is right behind him. Holy smoke. It's been a while since we've had a true athlete like this kid on campus. He's tall, rangy and it's obvious he knows what he's doing out there. He was running with the 2's but don't be surprised to see him starting games very early on. What a catch this guy was.

5. Quarterbacks: We know what we have with Cox. In the 7 on 7 drills, Cox was 1, Blake Field 2 and Kodi Burns 3. I'll admit it was very limited concerning what I saw. I probably watched Burns throw 7-8 passes in those drills. Not real smooth. Fields looked pretty damn good on everything he did. He was easily throwing the best ball out of all the QBs. I get the impression he's quietly gone about his business and worked his arse off to get better. It showed.

6. Linebackers: Saw them for a while. Tray....Aww hell, let's move on to someone else. Bo Harris is huge and no doubt, will see the field. Josh Bynes (another of our incoming class) is tall and an incredible athlete. He's not far from seeing the field either. Don't be surprised if Brent Slusher doesn't turn out to be in the rotation in years to come. He's got good size and moves real well and another year of Yoxercise will have him around 230 and ready to hurt people.

7. Receivers: No worries mate. Sorry, but I look at this group and think that if they can't be successful, we'd better look to point fingers at someone besides them. We have a group of gazelles and it won't for lack of athleticism if they're not getting the job done. Chris Slaughter is as advertised. Billings was hobbled and didn't participate. Same for Tim Hawthorne. Robert Dunn looks poised to step up and be a great receiver.

8. Again With The Freshman Class: I can't say enough about the athletes Tuberville signed and brought to the Plains. I'm going out on a limb and saying this will be as decorated a class as Auburn has ever signed.

Antoine Carter: Do you like the way Quentin Groves plays? Get ready for several more years of that same thing. Carter may not see the field this year for one reason. He's listed at 226. He simply cannot be consistently blocked. This guy is beyond fast. He made quite a few look real silly yesterday. I've been reading good things about him and they're all spot on. Keep his name in mind. You'll here it a lot more.

Michael Slade and Ryan Williams: Definite redshirts but athletes that stand out. Herring will redshirt as well but he's a good looking linebacker.

Overall, I will say that if we find 5 guys to gel and get the job done on the O-line, this team could be the sleeper not only in the league, but on the national scene as well. I've been going to these things for quite a few years and the level of athleticism keeps getting better every year. This year, it increased by leaps and bounds. Hats off to CTT. This man has built a program at Auburn that takes a backseat to no one.

Cool. Great job of reporting and thanks for the update. Just so you know, you did nothing to alleviate my anticipation for the start of our season. B) WDE :au:

Nice Steve, I appreciate the info. It seems all you get from newspapers is the same old crap. Much appreciated.

5. Quarterbacks: We know what we have with Cox. In the 7 on 7 drills, Cox was 1, Blake Field 2 and Kodi Burns 3. I'll admit it was very limited concerning what I saw. I probably watched Burns throw 7-8 passes in those drills. Not real smooth. Fields looked pretty damn good on everything he did. He was easily throwing the best ball out of all the QBs. I get the impression he's quietly gone about his business and worked his arse off to get better. It showed.

I hope BF has really improved if he IS ahead of Kodi...the fact that Cox almost needed to be carried down the field in the Georgia game (ala Leftwich) but TT didn't have enough faith in BF to put him in then worries me . BF looked like he has an arm very similar to JC's in his past fill-in appearances but I'm worried that if he didn't progress enough from last year to this year will he be ready ...?

The comments I've read from the coaches have indicated that BF has worked very hard. I'm like you Okie, in that last year worried me from the standpoint of not developing a backup. There were times when the #2 should have been in there with Cox injured like he was. I would imagine (Just an assumption on my part) that the problem is decision making for BF. It's pretty obvious he has the tools. Whoever is #2 this year, I just hope they get some real reps so we don't go into 08' with a total unknown at that position.

Nice Report. Question aren't there some ambulances you should be chasing?

Naaah, not my day on call. Besides, I'm out today with my 6 year old. Little fella' woke up with some serious crud. I'll spend most of the morning in the Pediatrician's office.

Excellent report. Thanks! :)

:au::homer:

Excellent information. Thanks for the report.

Prayers sent that everything goes ok at the Pediatrician's office.

Whoever is #2 this year, I just hope they get some real reps so we don't go into 08' with a total unknown at that position.

You got that right. I was also surpised several times last year when Field didn't go in for Cox, hopefully there will be plenty of QT for #2 this season...and hopefully it will be b/c we are blowing opponents out...

It's just my day to stay out. Little fella's just got the cough, congestion etc. You know, he got what's been "Going around". I think you get sicker in the waiting area with a room full of sick folks. :lol::puke:

Actually, he just asked to go to Adventureland (Little theme park here for kids) so this may be a ploy to stay out of school. Worked too! :P

Archived