Uuhhhh, Fined much?

townhallsavoy

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Here is the final ruling from the NFL:

# Bill Belichick has been fined $500,000 by the NFL. That is the maximum amount under the NFL Constitution and By-Laws for violating league policy last Sunday on the use of equipment to videotape an opposing team’s offensive or defensive signals.

# The Patriots have been fined $250,000 by the NFL.

# The Patriots will give up their first-round pick in 2008 if they make the playoffs. If they don't make the playoffs, they will surrender their second- and third-round picks.

# Belichick will not be suspended.

“This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field,” Commissioner Roger Goodell wrote in a letter to the Patriots.

"I specifically considered whether to impose a suspension on Coach Belichick," Goodell also wrote. "I have determined not to do so, largely because I believe that the discipline I am imposing of a maximum fine and forfeiture of a first-round draft choice, or multiple draft choices, is in fact more significant and long-lasting, and therefore more effective, than a suspension."

DAMN.

Hasn't something similiar to this happened to the Patriots before?

Not unless you know something that no one else does. They screwed up. I honestly am very curious to see how this season plays out. If they goes 12-4 or better you can argue that this stuff has virtually no impact on the game. If not....

Couple of things...

Any idea how much Belichick makes a year? How badly does the 500k hurt him?

And, I think it was Anderson that brought it up on ESPN last night but keep in mind the Pats won each of their SuperBowls by a field goal. Had they been doing this for years and years? Say you knew what play was coming on a vital 3rd down in the SuperBowl...that can be a pretty big deal.

This is going to haunt belichick for a long time.

Mainly because he has tried to weasel his way out of admitting any wrongdoing with some "clever" (I think not) wordsmithing.

He has been caught red handed and is trying to bill clinton his way out of it. His attempted deception leaves all with common sense believing he has something bigger to hide than just the incident last sunday.

Couple of things...

Any idea how much Belichick makes a year? How badly does the 500k hurt him?

And, I think it was Anderson that brought it up on ESPN last night but keep in mind the Pats won each of their SuperBowls by a field goal. Had they been doing this for years and years? Say you knew what play was coming on a vital 3rd down in the SuperBowl...that can be a pretty big deal.

The only bright side for him is that it's tax deductible. lol.

Okay, I haven't researched any of this and don't plan to...

because I have numerous other threads to post on. My time is valuable, people.

All I heard is that N.E. was stealing the other team's signals with cameras???? Is that the long and short of it? Is it something they set up in their own stadium?

They videotaped the jets coaches giving defensive signals which is a clear violation of policy.

Bellichick has stepped off in some tebow by trying to skirt around the issue of him cheating by saying, "I misinterpreted the rule" (bs, a clear violation), "we gained no advantage during the game" (duh, it is done to study the film for future cheating purposes), and something to the effect of they have never done during the game to cheat during that particular game. Okay, so you did it to cheat on later games. They have been accused of it before and this is why the league was watching them from what I've heard. They have been accused of this and other things (not long ago they were braggin about knowing what the jets were gonna run before the play started).

I think he thinks he is just a wee bit smarter than everyone else and can tebow his way out of any guilt here.

Archived