Who lives in the past?

Roll Tide Rev

I am not starting this thread to cause a flame war, but i just wondered something. AU fans are always accusing us of living in the past and the reality is that it's you guys who are always bringing up the past. First you always bring up the Bear. Second you accuse us of living in the past yet you can't let go of the fact you have beaten us the past 5 years. Don't get me wrong, you guys deserve to brag and I would be bragging to, but isn't it a bit hypocritical?

Now you AU fans are having a rough run of it and trust me when I say I know the feeling, so you are falling back on the past and 5 in a row. Is this not what we as Bama fans have been accused of?

Seriously can we discuss this? I am writing this with the utmost respect for you.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an entire fan base, yes, alabama fans live more in the past.

I don't consider CURRENT streaks the past (i.e. 5 in a row, or a 2 game losing streak)

I get what your saying and Auburn fans do joke about the bear but bama fans take it to another level. I read bama message boards and the bear is brought up constantly.

I am not starting this thread to cause a flame war, but i just wondered something. AU fans are always accusing us of living in the past and the reality is that it's you guys who are always bringing up the past. First you always bring up the Bear. Second you accuse us of living in the past yet you can't let go of the fact you have beaten us the past 5 years. Don't get me wrong, you guys deserve to brag and I would be bragging to, but isn't it a bit hypocritical?

Now you AU fans are having a rough run of it and trust me when I say I know the feeling, so you are falling back on the past and 5 in a row. Is this not what we as Bama fans have been accused of?

Seriously can we discuss this? I am writing this with the utmost respect for you.

A couple of nuances to run by you:

1. We're not the ones plastering houndstooth on everything but our left testicle.

2. The five game streak is current. The 1970s are not.

Other than that, great point.

This is what it means to me.

1) The houndstooth is part of Alabama tradition now and respect for a coach that we dearly loved that is passed away.

2) Yesterday is not the past? It is the past.

But I know it's going to be hard to get an honest answer as you see through blue and orange colored glasses as I do Crimson.

1) The houndstooth is part of Alabama tradition now and respect for a coach that we dearly loved that is passed away.

But I know it's going to be hard to get an honest answer as you see through blue and orange colored glasses as I do Crimson.

Your number 1 totally ruined your argument. I mean, you can now be quoted, "a coach that we dearly loved that is passed away."

We loved Shug Jordan, but we aren't wearing his clothing to this day.

We loved Pat Dye, but we aren't putting up statues of him.

You never hear, "Auburn is nearly twenty years removed from the Pat Dye era." But you always hear, "It's been nearly 30 years since Paul 'Bear' Bryant coached Alabama football."

I am not starting this thread to cause a flame war, but i just wondered something. AU fans are always accusing us of living in the past and the reality is that it's you guys who are always bringing up the past. First you always bring up the Bear.

Wrong, Try again. That coach is totally irrelevant.

Second you accuse us of living in the past yet you can't let go of the fact you have beaten us the past 5 years. Don't get me wrong, you guys deserve to brag and I would be bragging to, but isn't it a bit hypocritical?

We aren't falling back on anything. It is still an active streak, so it's not the past, its current. Strike Two.

No your not. Strike 3

All I'm saying is, don't accuse us of being the ones to bring up the Bear when the houndstooth baseball cap is the latest in bammer formal wear.

And also, don't be an idiot. Bragging rights extend for the whole year until the next time we play. The fact that it's a streak 5 years running makes it current. Please look this word up as it doesn't seem to be computing.

Ok fine the streak is good whatever, and I really wasn't trying to get you all riled up, just wondering how you felt about it. Wish sometimes we could chat without all the hostility. I know I have not been fun around here, but I apologize for my role in what I have done here that has been upsetting to you all.

There is no way my point will be heard or made, so I will let it die. Thanks.

I actually haven't seen anything about the Bear on this board in a while...oh wait, you brought it up.

Ok fine the streak is good whatever, and I really wasn't trying to get you all riled up, just wondering how you felt about it. Wish sometimes we could chat without all the hostility. I know I have not been fun around here, but I apologize for my role in what I have done here that has been upsetting to you all.

There is no way my point will be heard or made, so I will let it die. Thanks.

Wow. So you start up a discussion, we answer you in a manner that you can't compete with, and then you run off saying we're too hostile? Whaa?

To the victor goes the spoils...

I've never been one to trash talk, as evidenced by the annual (dammit!) congratulatory Iron Bowl post I start here. And, Roll Tide Rev, I gotta side with Titan and the rest on this one.

Although, I don't think that either one of us "lives" in the past. Both schools have tradition and both have the right to flaunt it. Does Alabama have more? Of course. Though, the all-time series is relatively close and both have had their shining moments.

Brag all you want to about your 5. You've earned it and I, for one, consider it "current." You own us right now.

Brag all you want to about your 5. You've earned it and I, for one, consider it "current." You own us right now.

Not for long....

Or would that be living in the future?

I love how you AU folks are clinging to the houndstooth patterns as the new "can't let go of the Bear". Just went through the last 150 posts on BOL, nothing about coach Bryant.

Spent 14 hours on the quad saturday, nobody brought him up. There was even a moan when ESPN put up that graphic with his win numbers during the game. Two comments of "how do they expect us to let him go when they keep bringing him up"?

I listened to WJOX from about 8 am until 5pm...I remember ONE caller who brought up coach Bryant. One out of the hundreds who called in all day.

Hell, we even changed our intro video.

But now that you can't use those things as "constantly bringing him up", you use the fact that there's a houndstooth pattern that sells well in Ttown.

weak sauce.

Not for long....

Not so fast, my friend.

I say this with complete honesty -- I'm not convinced we'll beat you. There are still many holes in our team and plenty of time for you guys to right the ship. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to be 3-0, but we all know that has little bearing on what happens in November.

When an Alabama fan comes in and compares Bear worship to a current Iron Bowl winning streak to somehow highlight our hypocrisy, the only weak sauce is that feeble comeback.

I've never been one to trash talk, as evidenced by the annual (dammit!) congratulatory Iron Bowl post I start here. And, Roll Tide Rev, I gotta side with Titan and the rest on this one.

Although, I don't think that either one of us "lives" in the past. Both schools have tradition and both have the right to flaunt it. Does Alabama have more? Of course. Though, the all-time series is relatively close and both have had their shining moments.

It never ceases to amaze me when I end up agreeing with bamagrad03 and wincrimson.

I will say its more often with bamagrad though

Not for long....

Not so fast, my friend.

I say this with complete honesty -- I'm not convinced we'll beat you. There are still many holes in our team and plenty of time for you guys to right the ship. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to be 3-0, but we all know that has little bearing on what happens in November.

Yeah I know that too. But sorry if my vision is clouded by South Floridians and Mississippians celebrating in my face.

We all know the only reason that got changed was because Saban said so and alot of bammers were and still are not happy about it.

When an Alabama fan comes in and compares Bear worship to a current Iron Bowl winning streak to somehow highlight our hypocrisy, the only weak sauce is that feeble comeback.

Yeah...

us not talking about him

us changing our intro video

no callers calling in bringing him up

us BOTHERED that ESPN brings him up...

but there's houndstooth baseball caps, so we can't get over him

Not buyin it.

We all know the only reason that got changed was because Saban said so and alot of bammers were and still are not happy about it.

Yeah that's why the guy who posted a video of the new intro on BOL was unofficially awarded the "post of the day" and had his post rated 5 stars.

It never ceases to amaze me when I end up agreeing with bamagrad03 and wincrimson.

I will say its more often with bamagrad though

I like silver better than gold anyway.

So, hah.

Yeah...

us not talking about him

us changing our intro video

no callers calling in bringing him up

us BOTHERED that ESPN brings him up...

but there's houndstooth baseball caps, so we can't get over him

Not buyin it.

No, but there are:

Houndstooth fedoras sprinkled throughout the stands.

Rednecks with Bear leaning on the goal posts literally tattooed over their entire obese backs.

Houndstooth collars on uniforms just last season.

Sorry dude, but if you really think that a few minor steps to break the addiction mean the Bear thing is finally been put in proper perspective at Bama, you need to share some of that weed with the rest of us 'cause it's some high quality stuff.

Can I be the first to say that I hate the houndstooth baseball caps?

As a good Bammer man, I have to admit that houndstooth on a girl looks sexy. Balding, middle aged men? No dice.

Archived