Roll Tide Rev

Yeah...

us not talking about him

us changing our intro video

no callers calling in bringing him up

us BOTHERED that ESPN brings him up...

:bs:

but there's houndstooth baseball caps, so we can't get over him

Pretty Much. and don't give us that "tradition" crap. A coach is not a tradition.

Not buyin it.

we don't expect you to actually admit the truth about this issue. The "because I said so" argument doesn't work.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not starting this thread to cause a flame war, but i just wondered something. AU fans are always accusing us of living in the past and the reality is that it's you guys who are always bringing up the past. First you always bring up the Bear. Second you accuse us of living in the past yet you can't let go of the fact you have beaten us the past 5 years. Don't get me wrong, you guys deserve to brag and I would be bragging to, but isn't it a bit hypocritical?

Now you AU fans are having a rough run of it and trust me when I say I know the feeling, so you are falling back on the past and 5 in a row. Is this not what we as Bama fans have been accused of?

Seriously can we discuss this? I am writing this with the utmost respect for you.

Don't even start this topic. I was in a restaurant with 41 Alabama fans when the UA-Arkansas game came on the television. Yes, there were 41. I counted.

Between the opening kickoff and the 14th point I heard at least three references to 1992 and a minimum of eight invocations of "Bear." Primarily on successful plays where some bouiffant heifer would jump up and shout "that raht there is how tha bahr woulda called it".

No offense to anyone, but I've never seen a collective group of "fans" with less football knowledge in my life. On the punt that was downed inside the Arkansas five, the biggest and loudest of the bunch leaped up and kicked a chair because "that idiot dropped the ball." He was so stupid he never figured out that the punt team wasn't required to catch the punt. Moron.

I love Auburn. I've watched five different Auburn coaches in my lifetime. I've seen some tremendous successes. I love Pat Dye and think he was a fantastic coach. Not once in my entire life, however, have I compared every move made by any subsequent coach to how Dye would have done it.

You see, that's the difference between AU and AL fans. Auburn fans love the team. At Alabama its a cult of personality. The man is always bigger than the team. Thank God AU fans don't deify anyone like you guys do.

No, but there are:

Houndstooth fedoras sprinkled throughout the stands.

Rednecks Redneck with Bear leaning on the goal posts literally tattooed over their entire obese backs.

Houndstooth collars on uniforms just last season.

Sorry dude, but if you really think that a few minor steps to break the addiction mean the Bear thing is finally been put in proper perspective at Bama, you need to share some of that weed with the rest of us 'cause it's some high quality stuff.

Fixed that for you.

So you've got one redneck and a houndstooth pattern. You can bring it up all you want. You can talk about the houndstooth pattern on 137 different things...it's still only one THING.

BTW, one of my smoking hot female friends called me friday and told me she just picked up "the cutest houndstooth earrings". She's articulate, well educated, and has NEVER EVER EVER mentioned coach bryant...and I've known her for 8 years.

Just because fans are buying up the gear, doesn't mean they "live in the past". I saw a few 10 year old kids wearing the hats saturday...guess they bought the hats so they could "relive the glory days".

Hell, we even changed our intro video.

We all know the only reason that got changed was because Saban said so and alot of bammers were and still are not happy about it.

Yeah that's why the guy who posted a video of the new intro on BOL was unofficially awarded the "post of the day" and had his post rated 5 stars.

I don't give a damn about some moronic post and what kind of rating it got. I'm talking about the hundreds of bammers I encounter everyday and how all I hear is how Saban is trying to do away with tradishun.

... BTW, one of my smoking hot female friends called me friday and told me she just picked up "the cutest houndstooth earrings". She's articulate, well educated, and has NEVER EVER EVER mentioned coach bryant...and I've known her for 8 years....

Link. With pics. You've been here too long to knowingly flout the rules. Don't be spreadin that weak-a$$ hearsay without some proof! B)

... BTW, one of my smoking hot female friends called me friday and told me she just picked up "the cutest houndstooth earrings". She's articulate, well educated, and has NEVER EVER EVER mentioned coach bryant...and I've known her for 8 years....

Link. With pics. You've been here too long to knowingly flout the rules. Don't be spreadin that weak-a$$ hearsay without some proof! B)

Ha! I'll see what I can do :)

I actually gave her a hard time about the earrings. She was like "what? They're cute!".

So you've got one redneck

And thousands more who can't redeem enough Coke bottles or recycle enough Natty Light cans to pay for it yet.

and a houndstooth pattern. You can bring it up all you want. You can talk about the houndstooth pattern on 137 different things...it's still only one THING.

It's one thing plastered all over everything. It doesn't have to be separate aspects of the man on each and every idol piece of memorabilia to indicate the obsession. The hat is the thing they've chosen to venerate remember him by on everything.

BTW, one of my smoking hot female friends called me friday and told me she just picked up "the cutest houndstooth earrings". She's articulate, well educated, and has NEVER EVER EVER mentioned coach bryant...and I've known her for 8 years.

Just because fans are buying up the gear, doesn't mean they "live in the past". I saw a few 10 year old kids wearing the hats saturday...guess they bought the hats so they could "relive the glory days".

Bad parenting.

A couple of nuances to run by you:

1. We're not the ones plastering houndstooth on everything but our left testicle.

2. The five game streak is current. The 1970s are not.

Other than that, great point.

I'll be selling the Left Testicle Houndstooth Cover on E-bay tomorrow if anyone needs them. I have a company in China shipping me two million next week. I think I should be a millionaire by the time Nick is in Loyd Carr's office.....

In the mall today I actually saw a full size houndstooth umbrella. Not a small 8-10 inch umbrella but a 26-30" umbrella. Can you imagine that ugly thing opened up?? :puke:

I love how you AU folks are clinging to the houndstooth patterns as the new "can't let go of the Bear". Just went through the last 150 posts on BOL, nothing about coach Bryant.

Spent 14 hours on the quad saturday, nobody brought him up. There was even a moan when ESPN put up that graphic with his win numbers during the game. Two comments of "how do they expect us to let him go when they keep bringing him up"?

I listened to WJOX from about 8 am until 5pm...I remember ONE caller who brought up coach Bryant. One out of the hundreds who called in all day.

Hell, we even changed our intro video.

But now that you can't use those things as "constantly bringing him up", you use the fact that there's a houndstooth pattern that sells well in Ttown.

weak sauce.

There was nothing about Coach Bryant on this forum until this thread came up.

Yea.....Brain Washing will do that. Those where probably the ones that their Uncle/Daddy showed them the clips of how great the tahd is...I mean, WAS. Then they'd be brain washed with flashes of tha bahr every few seconds, while they where Made to watch the Old clips. I saw a Baby wearing a Houndstooth outfit the other day (red bammer shirt, white bammer pants, houndstooth bib, and a houndstooth hat) the baby was maybe one...........Just sad, so sad.

Guest BoStillKnows

In the mall today I actually saw a full size houndstooth umbrella. Not a small 8-10 inch umbrella but a 26-30" umbrella. Can you imagine that ugly thing opened up?? :puke:

When I started reading this post, my first thought was a Bammer walking through the mall with an open umbrella over HIS head. I guess you saw it in a store or someone told the owner it wasn't needed inside so it was collapsed :big:

When I started reading this post, my first thought was a Bammer walking through the mall with an open umbrella over HIS head. I guess you saw it in a store or someone told the owner it wasn't needed inside so it was collapsed :big:

could be..LOL. They had about 4-5 of those ugly things for sale....

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I would swear that BG caused the database failure after looking so ridiculous trying to keep his head above water for so long with that asinine argument that the houndstooth obsession in tuscaloosa is completely unrelated to Bear Bryant.

I was able to salvage one post before the database had to be restored:

I think he's pointing out that, your friend not withstanding, most people who go and buy a houndstooth thong or houndstooth beer koozie know that it's not just "Alabama", but Bear Bryant it's referencing. Trying to rationalize away the houndstooth thing by pointing to your friend doesn't make the case.

And I think the fact that there are a bunch of little kids, and women whom neither identify with Bear Bryant...is a testament to my standing that people have embraced the Houndstooth thing as "Alabama" and not "Bear Bryant".

You think Andre Smith pulled out the Houndstooth hat when he commited because he was pumping up Bear Bryant? Or do you think he did it because it's something EVERYONE associates with Alabama?

I think the obsession that has lurked over the shoulder of and ultimately undermined every coach you've had since 1982 has made the two virtually indistinguishable. Reverence for the Bear is part and parcel to being a Bama fan in the truest sense.

I was able to salvage one post before the database had to be restored:

I think he's pointing out that, your friend not withstanding, most people who go and buy a houndstooth thong or houndstooth beer koozie know that it's not just "Alabama", but Bear Bryant it's referencing. Trying to rationalize away the houndstooth thing by pointing to your friend doesn't make the case.

And I think the fact that there are a bunch of little kids, and women whom neither identify with Bear Bryant...is a testament to my standing that people have embraced the Houndstooth thing as "Alabama" and not "Bear Bryant".

You think Andre Smith pulled out the Houndstooth hat when he commited because he was pumping up Bear Bryant? Or do you think he did it because it's something EVERYONE associates with Alabama?

I think the obsession that has lurked over the shoulder of and ultimately undermined every coach you've had since 1982 has made the two virtually indistinguishable. Reverence for the Bear is part and parcel to being a Bama fan in the truest sense.

Amen. What is REALLY sad are the uaters that couldn't tell you anything about the way "he" coached....just that "he" coached.

I am not starting this thread to cause a flame war, but i just wondered something. AU fans are always accusing us of living in the past and the reality is that it's you guys who are always bringing up the past. First you always bring up the Bear. Second you accuse us of living in the past yet you can't let go of the fact you have beaten us the past 5 years. Don't get me wrong, you guys deserve to brag and I would be bragging to, but isn't it a bit hypocritical?

Now you AU fans are having a rough run of it and trust me when I say I know the feeling, so you are falling back on the past and 5 in a row. Is this not what we as Bama fans have been accused of?

Seriously can we discuss this? I am writing this with the utmost respect for you.

Don't even start this topic. I was in a restaurant with 41 Alabama fans when the UA-Arkansas game came on the television. Yes, there were 41. I counted.

Between the opening kickoff and the 14th point I heard at least three references to 1992 and a minimum of eight invocations of "Bear." Primarily on successful plays where some bouiffant heifer would jump up and shout "that raht there is how tha bahr woulda called it".

No offense to anyone, but I've never seen a collective group of "fans" with less football knowledge in my life. On the punt that was downed inside the Arkansas five, the biggest and loudest of the bunch leaped up and kicked a chair because "that idiot dropped the ball." He was so stupid he never figured out that the punt team wasn't required to catch the punt. Moron.

I love Auburn. I've watched five different Auburn coaches in my lifetime. I've seen some tremendous successes. I love Pat Dye and think he was a fantastic coach. Not once in my entire life, however, have I compared every move made by any subsequent coach to how Dye would have done it.

You see, that's the difference between AU and AL fans. Auburn fans love the team. At Alabama its a cult of personality. The man is always bigger than the team. Thank God AU fans don't deify anyone like you guys do.

I do not know where you live, but I have never in my 30 years heard anyone say, "that raht there is how tha bahr woulda called it". I think Auburn fans feed off of this and make it bigger than it is. I will admit the houndstooth thing, but I do not sit and obsess about "how Bear would have done it", seeing as I was 5 when he died. :rolleyes:

I do not know where you live, but I have never in my 30 years heard anyone say, "that raht there is how tha bahr woulda called it". I think Auburn fans feed off of this and make it bigger than it is. I will admit the houndstooth thing, but I do not sit and obsess about "how Bear would have done it", seeing as I was 5 when he died. :rolleyes:

That's bullcrap! All I heard when I visited my bammer family after the Fifth AU Iron Bowl win was how low class Tuberville acted and that "the bahr wouldnna dunit that way". When Juwanna Marijuana was asking for ice cream cones, all I heard was how "the bahr " wouldn't take that from nobody. Maybe among the people with whom you associate there isn't much talk about Bear, but let me assure you, there is a contingent that probably doesn't think he is dead yet. And no, its not our imagination.

Do you listen to JOX?

It ain't the Auburn fans constantly calling in comparing Saban to Bahr.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Not to mention posts on Tide forums that compared the pictures of a young Paul Bryant and Mike Shula (back when Shula was in the process of winning 9 straight to begin the 2005 season, not during the meltdown last year.)

Do you listen to JOX?

Wrong. It is uat fans and /or "plants" calling in and POSING as AU Fans.

Well, those are some good examples. I do remember the Military picture of Bryant..... :roflol:

Do you listen to JOX?

It's not just the Bama fans comparing Saban to Coach Bryant. Do you watch any or the games on ESPN or any of the networks? These announcers are constantly doing the comparison. That is what really bothers a lot of Auburn fans. The fact that there is hardly a game shown on any network where Alabama is not mentioned and in a positive light. Last night on the ESPN game, Alabama won the Pontiac play of the week, and several times they talked about Alabama, and after the game they did a special report on Bama.

Most of us Bama fans know that we're going to lose some games this year, but why shouldn't we enjoy it while it lasts. Of course we love the fact that it is bugging a lot of Auburn fans, and we know that will stop too, but we have to enjoy it while we can. Do you know how long it has been since we've had anything to celebrate?

Maybe Auburn wouldn't be having the trouble they're having now if you guys would worry more about your

players, coaches, and fans and less about ours. You have players that are out for mysterious reasons, a poor quarterback that is lieterally getting beat up each game(makes ya feel sorry for Brodie doesn't it?), and a coach that can make some bad calls, and fans that boo the players and coaches. You don't even fill your stadium(yes, I will admit it is nice),and you make fun of us because we do, and we have people that are begging for season tickets. It was this way even when Shula was here. We had a packed house for each game, and the waiting list was long for people wanting to get tickets.

Maybe Auburn wouldn't be having the trouble they're having now if you guys would worry more about your

players, coaches, and fans and less about ours.

I love this. Coming from a bammer on an Auburn board. In a thread started by a bammer about how we "live in the past" more than you do based on this ridiculous false analogy that our current streak is somehow the past. He then proceeded to bring up the Bahr. Not an Auburn fan.

This reminds me of the blatant bammer at my work. He has bugged me every day for a year every time I see him with "So how's Auburn looking?" "Any news about Auburn?" "How's Auburn doing with recruits?" "What do you think the Auburn score will be next week?" I always answer him with my thoughts.

This week, we had this lunch our whole department went to. To be nice, I asked "So, you think Alabama's going to be National Champs this year?" not at all in a condescending tone. He had said before the season even started that he predicted this to happen before they actually had experienced some success, so I didn't expect his prediction to change.

He snapped back at me "Why don't you just pay attention to Auburn and not worry about what we're doing? Gah, Auburn fans are just obsessed with Alabama and what Alabama's doing! We could care less about Auburn."

:rolleyes:

Archived