Lets-Go Red-Sox!!

Justin5

What really amazes me is that there are only about four or five guys on the Red Sox roster who were with the team when it won the Series in 2004. Granted, they're some big time players -- Ortiz, Manny, Schilling -- but at the same time when you think about a team having that kind of turnover and still being in the hunt season after season? That's some excellent front office work.

You hit that nail on the head. John Henry is one of the classiest owners out there and Theo Epstien is a freakin' genius.

It's easy to be a genius when you can outspend most everybody. Braves fans know. Schurhoelz didn't earn his stripes during the mid 90's when Ted Turner was the owner...he did it during 2001-2005 when his hands were tied behind his back and he still managed to put a winning team out there.

Anyways...here was the reasoning I made my previous comment with:

1. Manny Ramirez 17,016,381 (from another team)

2. J.D. Drew 14,400,000 (from another team)

3. David Ortiz 13,250,000 (from another team)

4. Curt Schilling 13,000,000 (from another team)

5. Jason Varitek 11,000,000 (farm system)

6. Matt Clement 9,500,000 (from another team)

7. Mike Lowell 9,000,000 (from another team)

8. Julio Lugo 8,250,000 (from another team)

9. Josh Beckett 6,666,667 (from another team)

10. Daisuke Matsuzaka 6,333,333 (from another team)

11. Eric Gagne 6,000,000 (from another team)

Of your top 11 salaried guys...only 1 has really been a red sox for the majority of his career.

There is nothing wrong with it at all, and it is how baseball is played today. I see no problem with it if you have the right combination of Owner willing to spend, GM that knows how to use the money smartly, an coach that can handle all the high profile players in one dugout. Good for the Red Sox. This isn't an attack on them, it is just an observation that they have behaved very much like the Yankees the past 5 years. They've just done it better.

Archived