My Day in Hell

InDNo

I must admit it, I was actually in attendance at the uat-UT game Saturday. I'm in a mixed marriage and, sometimes when AU is playing out of town, I have to throw her a bone. Mind you, I wear totally indiscriminate clothing and silently pull against the Tide. But, on Saturday, I witnessed a couple of things I must share.

First, their worship of Saban --- not the team, but SABAN --- borders on idolatry. There are shirts everywhere that proclaim the existence of "Sabanation," "200Saban (as opposed to '2007') and buttons on women's blouses labeling them Nick's Chicks. Toward the end of Saturday's contest, I actually witnessed a man in his 40s stand up, hands in the air, and shout, "We love you, Nick!"

Secondly, their idol worship is dual. The Bear is still immortalized everywhere. I saw enough Houndstooth to make several hundred packs of hounds toothless. On shirts, skirts, hats, caps --- anything you can imagine. And, as a capper, a guy in his 20s sitting one row below me --- mind you, he probably has zero recollection of Bear Bryant --- actually uttered the following in the first half when the game was still in doubt: "Come on Bear Bryant! We need you!" Swear to God! My stepson, a uat fan himself, actually looked at me and said, "I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that."

Finally --- and their one saving grace --- is that they do, according to a t-shirt I saw on several bammers, admit that they are our beeyatch. This t-shirt, which I saw hundreds of 'em, said on the back, "First, take back the state, then take back the nation." Translation: "We're Auburn's beeyatch. And everyone else's, too."

We will whip them for the next three years, at least. And it's gonna be fun to see how their attitudes change.

InDNo

I can relate. My husband's brother in law was over last night. Both he and my husband are Bama fans. They both agree that Bama is going to beat LSU. Reasons? Saban is in Les Miles' head (whatever that means) and LSU isn't that hard to beat. Boy, did I have to hold in a major laughing fit when I heard that. When the question of beating Auburn came up, they did disagree. My husband says, no way can they beat Auburn. Brother in law says they'll beat us bad. I was choking by then. Lord, I can't wait until Nov 24. I will enjoy that. Oh, the reason they'll beat us? John Parker Wilson. After ONE good game (and against a lesser opponent, I might add).

From a post I made after I was there for their homecoming weekend.

Slightly off-topic, but I was in Tuscaloosa this weekend (I know, I had planned on going to AU-Vandy, but long story short, I ended up being better off going to Tuscaloosa with some friends).

Anyway, the Saban worship there was cracking me up the entire time.

Every bar's window had something like "Out with the old (picture of a houndstooth hat), In with the new (picture of one of those Bobby Bowden hats that bammers are trying to patent as "Saban" hats). It was hilarious. You'd think Bear Bryant was their last coach. They've had like 8 coaches in between the two.

There was one painting of Saban driving a bus, but with Bear behind the bus pushing it, I guess as if to guide it.

There was one painting of Saban holding out his hand holding a 1925 championship ring, as if to say "If I'da been alive, I'da won it."

After leaving the bars at 2:00am after drinking since our game started at 11:00, in my altered state of mind I found it quite humorous to go incognito as a bammer myself. Yelling simply "SABAN! SABAN, BABY, SABAN!" at every passer-by. They were completely oblivious that I was making fun of them. Everyone I did that to responding with "Hayle yeah, that's what I'm talkin bout baby, woo!" or "Roh f***in Tahd, baby!"

I must admit it, I was actually in attendance at the uat-UT game Saturday. I'm in a mixed marriage and, sometimes when AU is playing out of town, I have to throw her a bone. Mind you, I wear totally indiscriminate clothing and silently pull against the Tide. But, on Saturday, I witnessed a couple of things I must share.

First, their worship of Saban --- not the team, but SABAN --- borders on idolatry. There are shirts everywhere that proclaim the existence of "Sabanation," "200Saban (as opposed to '2007') and buttons on women's blouses labeling them Nick's Chicks. Toward the end of Saturday's contest, I actually witnessed a man in his 40s stand up, hands in the air, and shout, "We love you, Nick!"

Secondly, their idol worship is dual. The Bear is still immortalized everywhere. I saw enough Houndstooth to make several hundred packs of hounds toothless. On shirts, skirts, hats, caps --- anything you can imagine. And, as a capper, a guy in his 20s sitting one row below me --- mind you, he probably has zero recollection of Bear Bryant --- actually uttered the following in the first half when the game was still in doubt: "Come on Bear Bryant! We need you!" Swear to God! My stepson, a uat fan himself, actually looked at me and said, "I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that."

Finally --- and their one saving grace --- is that they do, according to a t-shirt I saw on several bammers, admit that they are our beeyatch. This t-shirt, which I saw hundreds of 'em, said on the back, "First, take back the state, then take back the nation." Translation: "We're Auburn's beeyatch. And everyone else's, too."

We will whip them for the next three years, at least. And it's gonna be fun to see how their attitudes change.

InDNo

You only had to visit, I HAVE TO LIVE IN THIS HELL HOLE OF HOUNDSTOOTH AND DARK PINK!!!!

So please pray that my transfer application that is being sent to AU next week gets approved rather quickly!

"First, take back the state, then take back the nation."

Nevermind us. They got to get past Troy, UAB and Marion Military Institute, first.

"First, take back the state, then take back the nation."

Nevermind us. They got to get past Troy, UAB and Marion Military Institute, first.

and MMI plays 8 man :big:

One point, every year we play bama is a chance for them to beat us. There are no givens. Iron Bowls are won and lost on emotions. They are powerful and the rivalry is very close because of it. No team dominates the historical record. Both teams win and lose sometimes against all odds.

Every year you should be ready for bama to win. Games are won on the field and in the hearts of the players. Luck, momentum, desire, everything can go against the better team in any game.

Till there is a definate dominant team in the records, I will always say that its anyones game.

... Iron Bowls are won and lost on emotions. ...

Pat Dye begs to differ. He --- and most other coaches --- will tell you emotions can maybe get you through one quarter.

InDNo

... Iron Bowls are won and lost on emotions. ...

Pat Dye begs to differ. He --- and most other coaches --- will tell you emotions can maybe get you through one quarter.

InDNo

Agreed. Emotion can raise your intensity level, but they don't do squat for fundamentals. On top of it, energy and focus are wasted pumping up emotions rather than on execution and assignments.

I hope you cleansed yourself after leaving that cesspool. How could you possibly sit amongst all those people?? There is no possible way i could sit and listen to those idiots for 3-4 hours..

I'm interested in why no bammers have posted in this thread. Obviously, they know they've a large number of followers that are guilty as charged.

InDNo

The Saban idolatry is just a carryover from the years of worshiping the Paul Bryant. See, there really are very, very few true fans of the University of Alabama; 95% of their support was generated by the Bear, and that one-man fanaticism has just been transferred to each successive head coach. I don't need to go into the history of each of those coach's fate when they didn't live up to the Bear. I witnessed that idol worship in the 70's growing up as a neutral Gator fan in Montgomery, and it was the reason I chose Auburn over joining the cult of the Bear. I knew that Auburn people are fans of Auburn University and that community; not worshipers of one man.

The success that Paul 'Bear' Bryant bought in the 1970's will never happen again, and so Saban's fate is destined to follow the same as the 7 men before him.

Archived