NFL expansion

ssgaufan

Can someone please explain why the NFL needs to expand into a world market? I have a hard time watching the games now, but if the NFL goes to Europe (where the European league has now shut down), Canada, Mexico, etc, it will be even worse IMO. Why don't they try to fix the problems in the league over here, and not worry about some sheep herder in Bolivia not knowing who the Cleveland Browns are? The NFL for the most part is full of a bunch of spoiled rich guys. It just makes me :puke: .

Thank God for college, and high school football, where it still means something to the players.

WAR DAMN EAGLE, AND BEAT THE PISS OUT OF OLE PISS!

Can someone please explain why the NFL needs to expand into a world market? I have a hard time watching the games now, but if the NFL goes to Europe (where the European league has now shut down), Canada, Mexico, etc, it will be even worse IMO. Why don't they try to fix the problems in the league over here, and not worry about some sheep herder in Bolivia not knowing who the Cleveland Browns are? The NFL for the most part is full of a bunch of spoiled rich guys. It just makes me :puke: .

Thank God for college, and high school football, where it still means something to the players.

WAR DAMN EAGLE, AND BEAT THE PISS OUT OF OLE PISS!

And what problems are they having over here? NFL is the most celebrated sports in the country with over 145 million fanbase, outstanding merchandising, sellout games, etc. It is only logical that they move on to other markets. NBA is already oversea. NHL played their season opener in London, and MLB have got offshoot in Japan and other Asian countries.

If anything else, I am surprised NFL is having such a hard time breaking the international barrier.

Stunningly, one of the common complaints across the pond about American football is that it's too slow. Apparently this perception is due to the "down time" of standing around in huddles between plays.

This from people who think 90 minutes of game time kicking a ball all over a huge field, only to end in a 0-0 tie is scintillating. Entire soccer matches could be considered "down time."

That is my only complaint with football as well... It is slow. Don't get me wrong, I love football. But as a fan at the game I enjoy basketball much more. It is constant action for the most part and you can jump and yell and act stupid the whole time. Same with soccer. If it ends in a tie oh well but there is always gonna be a time when your adrenaline gets up when one of the players has a break-a-way.

American football will have a hard time breaking through over just like Soccer is having here. It is different from what the fans are passionate about. The only way to change it will be to start with the younger generations. Soccer will never overtake football over here but IMO it will move into a prominent spot in the future. Now kids know they can make money and good bit of it here now with the rise of the MLS (which are in the playoffs right now and a great time to watch since they can't end in a tie.)

Soccer never gets me excited.. :-/

What?!? The presence of Beckham hasn't struck a soccer fire in your heart yet? :big:

That is my only complaint with football as well... It is slow. Don't get me wrong, I love football. But as a fan at the game I enjoy basketball much more. It is constant action for the most part and you can jump and yell and act stupid the whole time. Same with soccer. If it ends in a tie oh well but there is always gonna be a time when your adrenaline gets up when one of the players has a break-a-way.

American football will have a hard time breaking through over just like Soccer is having here. It is different from what the fans are passionate about. The only way to change it will be to start with the younger generations. Soccer will never overtake football over here but IMO it will move into a prominent spot in the future. Now kids know they can make money and good bit of it here now with the rise of the MLS (which are in the playoffs right now and a great time to watch since they can't end in a tie.)

Yeah I love sports that have very little strategery. Nothing but nonstop action - and I love how in basketball, you might see one guy score 12 times! Each one of his baskets matters so much! And those soccer games where the final score is 1-0. Whoo! And the toughness of those soccer players!! They hit so hard and sometimes, a red card is thrown for an illegal hit. Whuh-ohs! And the MLS playoffs CAN'T END IN A TIE???? Someone get me my inhaler!

I've always wondered why I couldn't get into NFL football but about a month ago when I was reading an article about Kevin Youkillis(played call up sent down for about 2 years) of the Sox it came to me.

NFL players have nothing to play for.

Look at it like this, in MLB if the players half ass it they get sent down to the "Farm" where they get a big cut in pay. NBA players are naturally more competitive due to the fact they are focusing on one match up most of the game and too can be sent down a level if they don't perform up to par where they take a cut in pay. In the NCAA every player is playing their tails off to make a pro team. Even in the NHL they have their Minor leagues and of course the threat of being sent back to Canada :big:

I think if the NFL wants to make the league more appealing to a larger audience they need to fix the problems inside it and the problem is the players. For example, (correct me if I'm wrong) I think it was last year when RB Jamall Lewis went public when he said he was going to play at 50% because it was a "contract year". IMO there is only one way to stop this premadona crap and that is to create a form of minor league football where players can work their way up or get drop down.

Look at it like this, in MLB if the players half ass it they get sent down to the "Farm" where they get a big cut in pay.

That is rich. An MLB player talking about players playing half-ass. When was the last time you saw a big name MLB player bust ass on a ground ball to Short. The short fast ones do, but common.

If an NFL player cant cut it. He is fired. Period.

Manny Ramirez can sure hit. Manny Hustle, I think not.

I've always wondered why I couldn't get into NFL football but about a month ago when I was reading an article about Kevin Youkillis(played call up sent down for about 2 years) of the Sox it came to me.

NFL players have nothing to play for.

Look at it like this, in MLB if the players half ass it they get sent down to the "Farm" where they get a big cut in pay. NBA players are naturally more competitive due to the fact they are focusing on one match up most of the game and too can be sent down a level if they don't perform up to par where they take a cut in pay. In the NCAA every player is playing their tails off to make a pro team. Even in the NHL they have their Minor leagues and of course the threat of being sent back to Canada :big:

I think if the NFL wants to make the league more appealing to a larger audience they need to fix the problems inside it and the problem is the players. For example, (correct me if I'm wrong) I think it was last year when RB Jamall Lewis went public when he said he was going to play at 50% because it was a "contract year". IMO there is only one way to stop this premadona crap and that is to create a form of minor league football where players can work their way up or get drop down.

They have nothing to play for? You're right, all NFL players go out there and go through the motions. Those guys that are on the verge of being cut do it too. That's why they get cut. The other guys are just a tad bit more naturally talented, so they don't have to try any harder than the lower-paid guys. All of them hate their fans and will literally spit in your face if you meet them on the street. They also hate football. They don't have any passion for the game. I bet if LSU was hyped up enough, they would run the table in the NFL. You know why? Because college players are all about heart. They don't care about money like those greedy NFL professionals.

And yeah, the NFL doesn't appeal to a large enough audience. I mean, those baseball players who have the threat of being sent to the Farm have SO many more viewers...wait

Football (known as gridiron outside of the U.S and Canada.) attracts more television viewers [1], surging past baseball, America's most popular sport, in recent years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_in_the...States#Football

The NFL is the most popular sports league in the United States, and has the highest per-game attendance of any domestic professional sports league in the world, drawing over 67,000 spectators per game for its most recently completed season in 2006.[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League

Oh and yeah, those damn players. God. All of them are terrible. Just greedy showboats. Right? Am I right? I mean, Chad Johnson does so many uncalled for TD celebrations. I mean, who cares that he's a dominant receiver against the top of the line defensive backs - who cares if football is a game, a means of entertainment - he shouldn't be doing that! God, let's watch baseball! They could get sent to the Farm! You know they care. Am I right? Do you people like me yet?

And horsecrap on that Jamal Lewis quote. Link it or sink it. OH!

Soccer actually has quite a bit of strategy to it.

Prove it.

And by prove it, show me how it has more strategy than football or even basketball.

I think NFL games in London are a good fit - the English have a knack for mediocrity in sports (World Cup, Wimbledon, etc).

"I say, Falcons vs. Cardinals? What a smashing matchup, my dear boy!"

Y'all are idiots. Just because you don't like te pro game doesn't mean it is not a good brand of football or they don't play as hard as college. It's just different. Tell Brady or Manning or Farve or Romo it's not competitive while they are jumping around like 12 year olds when they make a big pass or win a ball game. I guess that's just for show though huh?

Archived