Firerushpropst.com

WarTim

tell me you don't really believe this. Word is there was some sort of podunk tv show and you think that made them the most well known high school in the country?? Sorry, but you need to get out of the state once in a while. Hoover high school is nothing more than a wart on the butt of america. In spite of this little rinky dink tv show, I'll bet 98% of the country still hasn't heard of hoover. In fact, they'll hear more about hoover because of the grade changing than they ever will from some two bit tv show.

That is beyond false. I follow recruiting HEAVILY, and I can only name a few high schools outside of this state. Millions of people watched Two A Days. Sports Illustrated named Hoover the #1 High School athletics program in the nation BEFORE Two A Days.

And it ran for 2 seasons. Just because YOU didn't watch it, doesn't mean millions of people didn't. And it was good exposure for the state. I'll bet you the majority of people on this board can't name more than one or two High Schools outside this state. Most probably couldn't name one.

Let's not forget that Hoover has had more of their games televised nationally on ESPN than any other high school.

Most high schools aren't popular outside of their state. But Hoover had a NATIONAL television series filmed there. And you're going to tell me that there was a high school MORE popular nationally than Hoover?

Lay down the crack pipe.

Allow me, once again, to point out the key differences in the Hoover/Chapman/UAT situation and the Mobile one.

First, all of the kids in Mobile had their grades changed in their junior seasons, before AU had much or any contact and way before they committed to anyone. Chapman was already an Alabama commit when his grade change occurred.

Second, despite a lengthy investigation, pouring over phone records, looking at Auburn's involvement, there is zero proof that Auburn even knew anything about it, much less made so much as a phone call. On the other hand, we know of the conversation Steele had with a Hoover administrator and coincidentally or not, Chapman's grade was erroneously rounded up after that phone call.

Third, of the two Mobile kids whose grades were changed, one (Ryan Williams) was qualified even without the grade change. It made no difference on his eligibility. The other (Nick Fairley), once it was determined that the grade change made the difference in eligibility for him, was told that he no longer qualified after his original grades were restored and he had to go to prep school. Chapman on the other hand is now known not to have actually qualified, yet is still playing for Alabama.

This stupid, tired canard comparing the Hoover and Mobile situations to AU and UAT has zero legs to it. The situations are not analogous whatsover to anyone who can read and has functioning brain cells.

The point we are trying to make is that NEITHER will cause the schools to get in any trouble. You guys are fighting so hard for there to be something there with the hoover deal...because you want something to be there. And I think the 68 page report that didn't implicate UA at all...tells the story.

But now that the report didn't bury us, you guys can pooh pooh it away with "well the report is biased" and "it's a cover up"...which is weak.

From my perspective, I don't care if Hoover High School is mentioned in the National Anthem, Rush Propst in a self-important, self-aggrandizing and immoral piglet who has no business being exposed to the youth of Alabama or, for that matter, Zimbabwe.

Now, if you think I'm gonna cry over his losing his job, then you are about as shallow an example of what your alma mater produces as I can imagine. And, believe me, I've met a few of your ilk, and I can imagine pretty damn shallow.

InDNo

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
However, BG is terribly wrong here. TT made it about as clear as it can be, but those Crimson glasses block out all logic.

And as RWS said, if something comes of the Hoover situation and Alabama gets in trouble...I will gladly offer mea culpa.

But I think it's unfair to accuse UA even after the report has excused them of wrong doing.

I don't think that the report actually cleared them of anything. You are reaching too far the other way. There is a report of contact between Hoover administrators and Steele. There is a subsequent grade change. Are they related? Not definitively, but it does not clear Alabama and Kevin Steele of anything. In fact, it draws more attention to the facts of what transpired.

it does say in the report that there is no evidence that a grade change was requested by Steele, that the phone call was because Chapman had never been considered a risk so it was pretty shocking. now, i'm not saying thats just stone cold proof that we're innocent, but you do have to consider that and you can't just ignore it.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Not ignoring it. I don't know what Kevin Steele said on the phone and neither do you. I do know that the phone call was made to discuss the issue and bingo, bamo, the grade was changed.

As a fireman, you should know that where's there is smoke, fire is usually present.

I am not saying that Alabama or Kevin Steele is guilty of anything, but I sure do not think that the independent report clears him of anything.

Will anything ever come out of it that causes trouble for Alabama? Probably not. But that is a far cry from being "cleared", which was BG's contention.

Wow! This has been a FUN thread to read. Those west vance spinsters have been in high gear on this one....from day one. B)

Don't worry. This story will "go away".....eventually. :big:

it does say in the report that there is no evidence that a grade change was requested by Steele, that the phone call was because Chapman had never been considered a risk so it was pretty shocking. now, i'm not saying thats just stone cold proof that we're innocent, but you do have to consider that and you can't just ignore it.

Exactly. Chapman was slated for a trip up the Hoover Pipeline, and usually that supercedes any rules and regulations. It was very shocking that a kid with a free ticket to Tuscaloosa was actually NOT passed through with flying colors. Hence the phone call of "I thought we had an agreement here" from Kevin Steele.

Again, the Hoover report you guys cite as this bullet-proof testament to the integrity of your program STARTED as an investigation into grade changing, and ENDED as a secret family expose. IF there is nothing to hide, why the spin?

Why

The

Spin

????

There several issues here:

1. Rush Propst pushed the rules to recruit players to Hoover and build his really good teams. The pressure to win and the thrill of sate championships permeated the school and set up an environment where rules were bent or broken to keep winning. Caught up in the fever, those in charge were willing to say wait a minute or question the legality. This is not infrequent in organizations. It happens in universities, businesses, and military units. The better ones catch it early and bring it to a halt.

2. Rush's personal behavior should have prevented his hiring and should not have delayed his firing.

3. We don't know what was said behind closed doors to Chapman by the Alabama coaches or the Hoover principal. We do know that Auburn knew that he was not going to qualify and had planned on a JUCO route for him. The allegation is that, Chapman was convinced that if he changed his commitment to Alabama, he would qualify and that if he stayed with his Auburn committment he would not. Allegation unproven---yet.

4. It may be awhile before Hoover regains its status but it will be better for this. Once the school gets by the embarrassment, it will have strengthened itself and have in place procedures to prevent this. Hoover is a good academic school and will be recognized as such again.

Exactly. Chapman was slated for a trip up the Hoover Pipeline, and usually that supercedes any rules and regulations. It was very shocking that a kid with a free ticket to Tuscaloosa was actually NOT passed through with flying colors. Hence the phone call of "I thought we had an agreement here" from Kevin Steele.

Again, the Hoover report you guys cite as this bullet-proof testament to the integrity of your program STARTED as an investigation into grade changing, and ENDED as a secret family expose. IF there is nothing to hide, why the spin?

Why

The

Spin

????

oh, sorry, i wasn't aware they had you on conference call when the discussion took place.

Super "spin" cycle. Only available on the west vance "models".

PF said today that Hoover got tired of losing and sold there souls for a guy who would win games for them.Doesn't this sound a lot like uat and saban?

Why

The

Spin

????

oh, sorry, i wasn't aware they had you on conference call when the discussion took place.

Actually, I let it go to voicemail because I was on the phone with Major Applewhite.

Why

The

Spin

????

Actually, I let it go to voicemail because I was on the phone with Major Applewhite.

i heard he was taking you out of his circle.....is it true?

Why

The

Spin

????

Ever heard of Augusten Burroughs? If not, you might want to change your screen name.

InDNo

Why

The

Spin

????

Ever heard of Augusten Burroughs? If not, you might want to change your screen name.

InDNo

yeah, i see the movie on the directv listing from time to time.

Archived