Firerushpropst.com

WarTim

While I will admit there is the potential of a backlash against a certain university, what I have to say about this whole ordeal is simple.

Rush Propst is a successful football coach.

He's a failed human being.

Until he copes with the latter, I don't think he'll be able to make any real hay with the former, whether it be in Georgia, South Dakota or Bahrain.

And with that, I'll shut up.

InDNo

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The latest from al.com

Rush Propst resigns but will coach through end of season

Posted by Birmingham News staff October 30, 2007 7:38 PM

The Hoover Board of Education tonight unanimously voted to accept Hoover High coach Rush Propst's resignation, but Propst will coach through the end of the season and be transferred to another job until his resignation becomes effective Aug. 31.

School board Vice President Suzy Baker said she cast her vote under duress and was disappointed with the contents of the agreement.

An investigation into grade-changing and preferential treatment of athletes at Hoover High found that an assistant football coach felt pressured by Propst to change a player's grade, which Propst has denied doing.

The attorneys who conducted the probe this summer also cited a need for greater controls of finances related to football camps and broadcasts. Their report touched on Propst's personal life as well.

Propst, who is completing his ninth season at Hoover, has a 108-15 record with five state championships.

See Wednesday's Birmingham News for more details.

Erin Stock

so, let me get this straight. Hoover has a third party investigate what happened. they name names and find out alot of stuff. people are canned, Propst is basically pressured to resign or be fired.

yet NOTHING is found out in Mobile. they have no clue who did what and they said they will never find out. nobody is canned because, well, supposedly the Mobile School Board has no idea what is going on. yet you guys are just 150% POSITIVE something stinks at Hoover, and there is nothing to see in Mobile. now, i'm not telling you that something IS going on with Mobile, i'm just trying to point out the obvious hypocrisy.

Let's keep this simple RWS. Here's why you're coming across as a total moron...

Very simply...

First:

The Hoover Report states that the issue is NOT over. It states that there are witnesses to question yet, and "rabbit-holes" to investigate. It's very clear that while there are things happening with "personnel" at Hoover, the situation itself is NOT over. Quit acting like it is. Quit acting like Auburn fans should heed some sort of advice from you and stop believing what they want. It's getting ridiculous. I can see why you're a firefighter, and it's because you can't stay away from "flames". Get over it pal, it's NOT going to stop.

Second:

What are you "wanting" the Mobile situation to point out? There isn't anything, and it isn't happening, and you're trying to draw blood from a turnip repeatedly bringing it up. Seriously, get a few links, get a few facts, then post them. Till then keep carrying your buckets of water to this flamefest. It's NOT going to stop for you.

By all means though, keeeeeeeeeep at it...Mr. Fireman. :thumbsup:

the only reason you are upset is because i won't believe what you believe. the fact of the matter is you have no more proof that Bama had Chapman's grade rounded than i have that AU changed 17 grades. the only difference is you WANT there to be something proving that Bama changed a grade, but there isn't. i know you want Bama buried, and you want it now, and i'm sure you're a little frustrated with the situation. i don't "want" Mobilegate to point out one thing or another. i am simply applying the same logic to the Mobile situation as you guys are to the Hoover situation is all, and judging by your reply you get the point. get a few links, and get a few facts that there IS something that is about to happen in Hoover that is related to UA.

RWS, there is a big difference. Chapman has already played for bama.

Now then, now that we have THAT settled. Is it OKAY if us Aubs just want to believe what we want to believe without you jumping off a building and rehashing why we're all stupid over and over again?

Sure, is it OKAY for us to think that Auburn is going to get put on probation for what happened in Mobile. Even though it's OBVIOUS to everyone here that Auburn did nothing wrong?

As far as you BG, you must have had a long night of beer and Halo 3. You're a little cranky, sad and silly tonight. Go to bed or something.

I don't play Halo. I think it sucks actually. Though I don't think one having a propensity for playing Halo automatically qualifies them for a "I have no life" card.

Totally agree with you Chopper. BG, that post was awful and is indicative of the win at all costs attitude of the majority of Bama fans. Look what Probst did for Hoover and Alabama H.S. athletics??? What, have grades changed and have his affairs outside his marriage become public????

So you think having an affair is a fireable offense?

Having an affair may be a fireable offense. Depends on the morals clause in his contract.

The Hoover pipeline is about to be exposed any day now.

Yeah, any day now. Is this the same pipeline that sent a player to AU this year? Or is it a different pipeline?

What I think is AWESOME, is that you guys are beyond giddy about a guy losing his job today. A guy who was head coach at a school that gave Alabama High School athletics NATIONAL recognition. A coach who worked hard to make the MTV thing happen...which resulted in people outside this state being able to see that we aren't a bunch of walking stereotypes down here.

Yeah, he lost his job. Let's have a parade.

You guys hate Alabama SOOOO much, that you don't care about someone getting fired. You are so able to remove yourselves from the human element, that you are willing for a guy to lose his job...just so you can get your rocks off in regards to hating Alabama. The funny thing is, him getting fired doesn't hurt Alabama as much as you guys think it will.

And judging from how this year's in state recruiting is going, it's not like we needed his help anyway.

Hope you guys are happy. Hope Hoover's name being dragged through the mud made you all happy. Hope you guys feel good that the ONLY positive exposure in regards to High School for the state of Alabama just had it's name ran through the dirt.

Because at the end of the day, it's not about a program that gets athletes into college. It's not about Sports Freaking Illustrated naming Hoover the #1 High School athletics program in the NATION...it's not about having someone outside of this state seeing a POSITIVE representation of Alabama.

It's about hating the Universiyt of Alabama. And you people are so bitter about a school that sends a lot of kids to Alabama, that you are more than happy to see all the good things about it burn...just so maybe one or two fewer kids go to UA.

Congrats.

You're the 3rd ranked poster on an Auburn board and you think we're the ones who have hate beyond mental reasonability for Alabama? You do realize there's a world out there besides us and the Iron Bowl rivalry don't you?

According to Scarbinsky this morning:

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ks...&thispage=2

For months, behind the scenes, in private conversations, Propst has insisted he would not go quietly into that good night. He's said he would not leave the building without trying to burn it down behind him.

He's vowed he would not quit without a fight.

Like all good football coaches, he finally realized there's a time to go for it, and then there's a time to punt.

This does not necessarily imply any "Bama pipeline" or Bama misconduct. But it does seem to indicate Propst had more secrets he could reveal, more than what is already in investigation report. However, apparently his silence is now securely paid for.

My opinion:

To date, there is no obvious evidence that UAT is guilty of anything. That may or may not change in the future but I'll withhold judgement regarding Bama's involvement until then. However, the report does seem to imply (at least to me) that

1) Propst was not guilty of simply a brief one-time affair with one woman, but multiple affairs with multiple women and an on-going permanent relationship with a second family--a pattern of marital infidelity, and

2) his program was guilty of a pattern of academic misconduct--changing multiple students' grades, pressuring teachers to protect athletes, multiple cases of special treatment for athletes (grade changing, repeating tests, etc.)--not just a single grade, and

3) there existed a general contempt for and multiple violations of AAHSA rules and regulations.

Taken in total, I thnk these easily add up to cause for termination.

As for any embarrassment or harm done to the school, I think it would be more embarrasing for the abuse to continue and the school to do nothing. Borrowing an old cliche: "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time". Hoover High asked for it by tolerating the misconduct over an extended period and creating an atmosphere where football was more important than academics. I don't feel any sympathy for the school, but regret that there are innocents--good students and teachers--who will suffer.

You're the 3rd ranked poster on an Auburn board and you think we're the ones who have hate beyond mental reasonability for Alabama? You do realize there's a world out there besides us and the Iron Bowl rivalry don't you?

I don't hate Auburn. I certainly wouldn't cheer if something POTENTIALLY bad for Auburn harmed the image of the entire state.

My loyalties lie with the state of Alabama first. That's why I want AU to have good education rankings. I want our high schools to get great exposure outside of the state.

I don't let my disdain for AU's football team get in the way of that.

Guest Tigrinum Major

What I think is AWESOME, is that you guys are beyond giddy about a guy losing his job today.

About like you were when Mike Shula lost his job.

Personally, I have no beef with Rush. He was allowed to do what he did in the program because other people failed to check him in check. He did run a program that flaunted the rules and now he has to pay the price. He made mistakes in his personal life, as many other people have.

I really haven't seen anyone giddy over the man losing his job. I have seen them giddy over the prospects of dirt being flung far and wide and landing on the University of Alabama. I don't think it happens myself, but you are twisting the arguments just a bit.

I don't hate Auburn. I certainly wouldn't cheer if something POTENTIALLY bad for Auburn harmed the image of the entire state.

This has nothing to do with Auburn or the State of Alabama. There is no Hoover pipeline to either one of those places. This has to do with uat because that is where the pipeline leads, and where the cheating has taken place.

My loyalties lie with the state of Alabama first.

Sing the State song without looking it up. Heck, sing your fight song without looking it up.

no i mean the MULTIPLE grade changes that are mentioned in the report to keep MULTIPLE kids eligible...

Yep. You got it. Chapman got his grade rounded up a point. And you are happy, not sad, that something GOOD for this state is burning down for it.

guess a reading course isn't taught at uat..... You are hung up on chapman for some reason, maybe we know why....but let's look at the report where MULTIPLE grade change requests were made for MULTIPLE STUDENTS.... So, contrary to what you want it to be, its not about one player or student....

during this quick search. Starting on May 25th and continuing over the next couple of

weeks, the teachers responded, many with requests for one or more grade changes, both

for athletes and non-athletes. Grade changes were requested for many, though not all, of

the 59, 69, 79, and 89 final grades – none because of the supposed rounding error – and

there were also changes requested for some grades not ending in ’9.

Hoover high was the most well known high school in the country for 2 years.

tell me you don't really believe this. Word is there was some sort of podunk tv show and you think that made them the most well known high school in the country?? :bs: Sorry, but you need to get out of the state once in a while. Hoover high school is nothing more than a wart on the butt of america. In spite of this little rinky dink tv show, I'll bet 98% of the country still hasn't heard of hoover. In fact, they'll hear more about hoover because of the grade changing than they ever will from some two bit tv show.

Allow me, once again, to point out the key differences in the Hoover/Chapman/UAT situation and the Mobile one.

First, all of the kids in Mobile had their grades changed in their junior seasons, before AU had much or any contact and way before they committed to anyone. Chapman was already an Alabama commit when his grade change occurred.

Second, despite a lengthy investigation, pouring over phone records, looking at Auburn's involvement, there is zero proof that Auburn even knew anything about it, much less made so much as a phone call. On the other hand, we know of the conversation Steele had with a Hoover administrator and coincidentally or not, Chapman's grade was erroneously rounded up after that phone call.

Third, of the two Mobile kids whose grades were changed, one (Ryan Williams) was qualified even without the grade change. It made no difference on his eligibility. The other (Nick Fairley), once it was determined that the grade change made the difference in eligibility for him, was told that he no longer qualified after his original grades were restored and he had to go to prep school. Chapman on the other hand is now known not to have actually qualified, yet is still playing for Alabama.

This stupid, tired canard comparing the Hoover and Mobile situations to AU and UAT has zero legs to it. The situations are not analogous whatsover to anyone who can read and has functioning brain cells.

tell me you don't really believe this. Word is there was some sort of podunk tv show and you think that made them the most well known high school in the country?? Sorry, but you need to get out of the state once in a while. Hoover high school is nothing more than a wart on the butt of america. In spite of this little rinky dink tv show, I'll bet 98% of the country still hasn't heard of hoover. In fact, they'll hear more about hoover because of the grade changing than they ever will from some two bit tv show.

That is beyond false. I follow recruiting HEAVILY, and I can only name a few high schools outside of this state. Millions of people watched Two A Days. Sports Illustrated named Hoover the #1 High School athletics program in the nation BEFORE Two A Days.

And it ran for 2 seasons. Just because YOU didn't watch it, doesn't mean millions of people didn't. And it was good exposure for the state. I'll bet you the majority of people on this board can't name more than one or two High Schools outside this state. Most probably couldn't name one.

Let's not forget that Hoover has had more of their games televised nationally on ESPN than any other high school.

Most high schools aren't popular outside of their state. But Hoover had a NATIONAL television series filmed there. And you're going to tell me that there was a high school MORE popular nationally than Hoover?

Lay down the crack pipe.

Allow me, once again, to point out the key differences in the Hoover/Chapman/UAT situation and the Mobile one.

First, all of the kids in Mobile had their grades changed in their junior seasons, before AU had much or any contact and way before they committed to anyone. Chapman was already an Alabama commit when his grade change occurred.

Second, despite a lengthy investigation, pouring over phone records, looking at Auburn's involvement, there is zero proof that Auburn even knew anything about it, much less made so much as a phone call. On the other hand, we know of the conversation Steele had with a Hoover administrator and coincidentally or not, Chapman's grade was erroneously rounded up after that phone call.

Third, of the two Mobile kids whose grades were changed, one (Ryan Williams) was qualified even without the grade change. It made no difference on his eligibility. The other (Nick Fairley), once it was determined that the grade change made the difference in eligibility for him, was told that he no longer qualified after his original grades were restored and he had to go to prep school. Chapman on the other hand is now known not to have actually qualified, yet is still playing for Alabama.

This stupid, tired canard comparing the Hoover and Mobile situations to AU and UAT has zero legs to it. The situations are not analogous whatsover to anyone who can read and has functioning brain cells.

The point we are trying to make is that NEITHER will cause the schools to get in any trouble. You guys are fighting so hard for there to be something there with the hoover deal...because you want something to be there. And I think the 68 page report that didn't implicate UA at all...tells the story.

But now that the report didn't bury us, you guys can pooh pooh it away with "well the report is biased" and "it's a cover up"...which is weak.

The point we are trying to make is that NEITHER will cause the schools to get in any trouble. You guys are fighting so hard for there to be something there with the hoover deal...because you want something to be there. And I think the 68 page report that didn't implicate UA at all...tells the story.

But now that the report didn't bury us, you guys can pooh pooh it away with "well the report is biased" and "it's a cover up"...which is weak.

Well, I never took a position as to what the report would or wouldn't do.

My point is that you can't point to the Mobile situation as some justification as to why nothing should or could happen to Alabama once all is said and done on this. The situations aren't even close.

tell me you don't really believe this. Word is there was some sort of podunk tv show and you think that made them the most well known high school in the country?? Sorry, but you need to get out of the state once in a while. Hoover high school is nothing more than a wart on the butt of america. In spite of this little rinky dink tv show, I'll bet 98% of the country still hasn't heard of hoover. In fact, they'll hear more about hoover because of the grade changing than they ever will from some two bit tv show.

That is beyond false. I follow recruiting HEAVILY, and I can only name a few high schools outside of this state. Millions of people watched Two A Days. Sports Illustrated named Hoover the #1 High School athletics program in the nation BEFORE Two A Days.

And it ran for 2 seasons. Just because YOU didn't watch it, doesn't mean millions of people didn't. And it was good exposure for the state. I'll bet you the majority of people on this board can't name more than one or two High Schools outside this state. Most probably couldn't name one.

Let's not forget that Hoover has had more of their games televised nationally on ESPN than any other high school.

Most high schools aren't popular outside of their state. But Hoover had a NATIONAL television series filmed there. And you're going to tell me that there was a high school MORE popular nationally than Hoover?

Lay down the crack pipe.

you are beyond delusional. SI is the mad magazine of sports coverage. Using them as a source is like using the food network to get business advice. Get back to me when you have a credible source.

Just because you can't name but a few high schools outside the state, doesn't mean others can't.

hoover high school, popular?? please...you need to get out more. just because a podunk tv series was filmed there (for allegedly 2 years) doesn't mean the school is popular. did it give them exposure, sure, but most of the millions you say watched this will barely remember anything about hoover high school, the city the state or anything else related to it. When the cameras move on to another school (if they do this podunk series again), hoover high school returns to just another school with a football team and will be forgotten quicker than phillip fulmer gets to a buffet.

you are beyond delusional. SI is the mad magazine of sports coverage. Using them as a source is like using the food network to get business advice. Get back to me when you have a credible source.

Just because you can't name but a few high schools outside the state, doesn't mean others can't.

hoover high school, popular?? please...you need to get out more. just because a podunk tv series was filmed there (for allegedly 2 years) doesn't mean the school is popular. did it give them exposure, sure, but most of the millions you say watched this will barely remember anything about hoover high school, the city the state or anything else related to it. When the cameras move on to another school (if they do this podunk series again), hoover high school returns to just another school with a football team and will be forgotten quicker than phillip fulmer gets to a buffet.

Your argument, again, weak.

1) are you saying there's someone out there giving MORE exposure to high schools than SI? Are you saying there exists another, higher profile publication, that is out there ranking the top programs? No. there isnt. Whether YOU read SI or not, is immaterial. The fact of the matter is, MILLIONS of people read it. And millions of people saw that Hoover is the #1 sports program in the nation according to the magazine they subscribe to.

2) You didn't address the ESPN issue

3) The "podunk" series that was watched by millions of people? Is there another TV series out there giving a DIFFERENT high school that level of exposure? If not, then your point is retarded. Furthermore, saying that that hoover would be forgotten in the future if someone else gets picked up...doesn't matter. I don't care about the future. My comment was that "Hoover high school had more exposure nationwide than any other high school"

Name one school during hoover's run that was more recognizable outside of their state...than Hoover.

You can't. You can't do it.

Lay down the crack pipe.

BG's right about this. I know people from as far as California that have asked me if I live in the part of Birmingham near "Hoover, where they shoot that MTV show." Hoover is in fact most likely the most recognized high school football program in the nation.

However, BG is terribly wrong here. TT made it about as clear as it can be, but those Crimson glasses block out all logic.

Name one school during hoover's run that was more recognizable outside of their state...than Hoover.

De La Salle High School (Concord, California)

The team, currently coached by Bob Ladouceur, owned a record 151 game winning streak from 1992 to 2005, more than doubling the previous record of 72. During that span the team won 12 California North Coast Section championships and was named national champion in seven different years; once by ESPN (1994), five times by USA Today (1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003), and once by the National Sports News Service (1999). The streak ended on September 4, 2004, against Bellevue High School of Bellevue, Washington. The team has recovered from a few down years and is beginning to regain national exposure, as they are currently ranked highly in most football polls.[citation needed]

The De La Salle football team was the subject of the 2003 book When the Game Stands Tall by Contra Costa Times sportswriter Neil Hayes, who tagged along with the team for practices, games and meetings during its undefeated 2002 season. The foreword was written by former Oakland Athletics manager Tony LaRussa.

However, BG is terribly wrong here. TT made it about as clear as it can be, but those Crimson glasses block out all logic.

And as RWS said, if something comes of the Hoover situation and Alabama gets in trouble...I will gladly offer mea culpa.

But I think it's unfair to accuse UA even after the report has excused them of wrong doing.

You can argue all day that it was a cover up or whatever. But I could just as easily argue that the Mobile situation was a cover up. But I'm not going to, because I don't think Auburn did anything wrong in that situation.

Again back to the difference...in y'alls mind Alabama is ALWAY ALWAYS guilty. Regardless of evidence put before you. I guess that's where I'm wrong. Regardless of what I say, and regardless of investigational reports findings...you guys have already told yourself that Alabama cheats every day, and they will always be guilty of cheating. And Auburn is always 100% innocent.

The team, currently coached by Bob Ladouceur, owned a record 151 game winning streak from 1992 to 2005, more than doubling the previous record of 72. During that span the team won 12 California North Coast Section championships and was named national champion in seven different years; once by ESPN (1994), five times by USA Today (1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2003), and once by the National Sports News Service (1999). The streak ended on September 4, 2004, against Bellevue High School of Bellevue, Washington. The team has recovered from a few down years and is beginning to regain national exposure, as they are currently ranked highly in most football polls.[citation needed]

The De La Salle football team was the subject of the 2003 book When the Game Stands Tall by Contra Costa Times sportswriter Neil Hayes, who tagged along with the team for practices, games and meetings during its undefeated 2002 season. The foreword was written by former Oakland Athletics manager Tony LaRussa.

I'm also going to agree with BG on this. I think way more people out of state knew about Hoover as a result of that MTV series than people knew about De La Salle outside of CA as a result of some book. It's just the nature of the beast. We're a TV culture. A presidential candidate could write the best book ever on his views yet more people's opinions of and information on him or her will come from an appearance on the Tonight Show or Oprah than even one page of that book.

Unless some high school got mentioned in one of the Harry Potter books, I'm going with the MTV show as being more widely known.

Wrong. De La Salle was popular among sports nuts. And has historically had a better football run. But do you think 17 year old girls in New York know who De La Salle is?

Guys, I'm done with this argument. This is like the 3rd time we've been through it. You know where I stand, I know where you stand.

I've got too much work to do to rehash this over and over.

Wrong. De La Salle was popular among sports nuts. And has historically had a better football run. But do you think 17 year old girls in New York know who De La Salle is?

With them watching MTV, sure, they know who Hoover is. But you asked if we could name another school, so I did. :poke:

Guest Tigrinum Major

And as RWS said, if something comes of the Hoover situation and Alabama gets in trouble...I will gladly offer mea culpa.

But I think it's unfair to accuse UA even after the report has excused them of wrong doing.

I don't think that the report actually cleared them of anything. You are reaching too far the other way. There is a report of contact between Hoover administrators and Steele. There is a subsequent grade change. Are they related? Not definitively, but it does not clear Alabama and Kevin Steele of anything. In fact, it draws more attention to the facts of what transpired.

As much as Auburn fans want something to happen, you are going too far the other way in your warm, fuzzy feeling of being cleared.

Lay down the crack pipe.

WarTiger. You are out of your league on this one.

First of all, I find it incredibly insulting that you just referred to Hoover High as a wart on the butt of America. You might want to choose your words more wisely. I hold a diploma from Hoover High, where I earned a 4.0. That esteemed high school went to bat for me and landed me a scholarship to Auburn University. The administration cares for its students. There are many whose names are being dragged through the mud today, who have given years of service to growing young men and women into responsible young adults. You simply read a report about some shenanigans within the athletic department, and now you are the expert on a quality high school. Pardon my french, but HORSE s***.

I am INCREDIBLY proud to be from Hoover and I have sat quietly while fellow Auburn fans have trashed my school. Trust me when I say this...

A. Hoover hasn't always been this way. It wasn't when I was in school (96-00). Football was important (where is it not?), but was always struggling to even make the playoffs. Propst got the ship turned around by good coaching and instilling school pride. The first two state championships (at least) were won legit.

B. Out of 2500 students, only about 80 play football. Around 160 if you include JV and Freshmen teams. What was shown on MTV was 4-6 players. So, the cross-section of the school/campus was NEVER fully expressed on the TV show.

C. The academics (non-athletic) are held in HIGH esteem across the state as Hoover has a laundry list of achievements to boast about in the classroom.

Keep in mind, this scandal is about a football team pressuring teachers to keep athletes eligible. It isn't about trashing the whole school.

WarTiger, the Two-A-Days show (which you were oblivious to) was a big hit (though it kinda freaked me out). It lasted two seasons and chronicled (in typical reality TV format) a select few athletes. You know, what their girlfriend said, what party they are going to, who likes who, typical high school stuff. In a 30 minute show there was around 5 minutes of football coverage and 5 minutes of coaching/practice clips. The show was so popular, I have relatives in Colorado who claim that Hoover merchandise is sold in one of their stores. I have been on vacation in Florida and some kid asked me, "Hey where'd you get that Hoover shirt? That's that school from Two-A-Days." Trust me. Hoover High is VERY popular with the MTV crowd.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Rainman's post brings up a good point. We are all quick to condemn a group of many for the actions of a few.

For example, how many of you like being lumped in with I-Man on ********'s show?

Or saniflush?

Archived