LSU notes

JohnDeere

LSUBeat

LSU Notes: Dorsey returns to practice

October 30, 2007

By Glenn Guilbeau

gguilbeau@gannett.com

BATON ROUGE — LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey practiced for the first time Monday since his right knee was injured by Auburn offensive guard Chaz Ramsey's illegal chop block on Oct. 27.

"I wouldn't say it was normal," Dorsey said. "I didn't do a few drills, but I got some good work done. It feels good. So we're just taking it day by day. We'll see."

Dorsey did not practice at all last week.

Dorsey hopes to be ready for Saturday's 4 p.m. CBS game that pits No. 3 LSU (7-1) and No. 17 Alabama (6-2) in Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Ala., for first place in the Southeastern Conference West. Both teams are 4-1 in the league, and Alabama is coached by former LSU coach Nick Saban.

"Not at all, I don't want to miss this game," Dorsey said. "Especially this week. There's a little extra motivation for me to do my rehab strong just to get better because I mean this is a big game and everybody knows why, you know what I'm saying. Just more motivation to get back. For one thing, it has big implications on the West. It's looking like it's between us two teams. All our goals that we can achieve are still ahead of us. We're ready to get on a roll and just finish strong. We had our little break. We got our legs back under us. So we just ready for the long haul — to push it to the limit."

Dorsey hopes to do more at practice each day leading up to Saturday.

"Yeah, yeah, I'll be able to do a little more each day," he said. "We took it slow today as a precaution, but as the week goes on I'm going to get to do more and more. They've got me playing with a brace on. So it's more of just getting used to playing with with a restriction on my leg. As the days go on, I'll get more and more work. I'd say I was probably out there for 70 percent of practice."

Asked directly if he would play against Alabama, Dorsey said, "I don't know. It feels good, though. I don't really know if it will be ready for Saturday. I'm just taking it day by day. But right now it's feeling good."

Dorsey, who wears a wristband that says "Saturday Soldier," said he may continue to wear the knee brace in the game.

"That's my buddy right there," he said of the brace. "That's my blanket."

LSU coach Les Miles said he was enthused by Dorsey's presence at a youth league football game Saturday. Dorsey was there to watch his old team, the St. Amant Wildcats, play the team for which Miles' two sons play.

"He looked like he was moving around pretty good on that Saturday," Miles said. "As an indication, I think he's coming to health. I think Glenn Dorsey's injury is one that will mend and heal. We are very optimistic about him, but we don't know if he will play or not yet."

OTHER INJURIES: Wide receiver Early Doucet (groin) and quarterback Matt Flynn (ankle) both benefitted from the open week, Miles said.

"I think there were a number of guys who were hurt that picked up some speed," Miles said. "I think Early is about as good as he has felt. He will improve as we get closer to game time. We are excited about his return."

PRAISE FOR SABAN: It's not about the coaches, Miles is still insisting, but he praised former LSU coach Nick Saban, who is now coaching Alabama.

"I can tell you that this game is about two quality football teams and the players on those teams," Miles said. "It's about two wonderful venues, two great states, communities and schools. This will be a great game. It is not about the head coaches. I appreciate coach Saban's past and his passing through Louisiana. Certainly, I respect what he was able to accomplish here. We look to go forward from there."

"Passing through"......Good words for any west vancester to remember...

"Passing through"......Good words for any west vancester to remember...

I was thinking the same thing.

Archived