$aban's reaction to a reporter

AU alum

This was a question a reporter from WSFA TV asked Saban after the LSU game. I'll admit that these questions have to get old, but answering them is part of $aban's job - should be done in a civil manner. This one wasn't.

http://wsfa.com/Global/category.asp?C=1191&nav=menu33_5

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2:07 mark.

"Maybe we should bring Kristen to the press conference. She is 16, she can ask better questions then that. She can recognize a good looking football player when she sees one, whether he is blown up or stuffed up"

It is just a matter of time.

"Super Douche" comes to mind. How bout the usually "timid" Shearer posting it and gigging Saban about his reaction. Shearer is kind of dipstick as it is, but I love that he pointed out his offense to the way he was responded to.

Saban could have handled it a lot better than that.

"Maybe we should bring Kristen to the press conference.

Maybe Kristen could hold him still. He makes me tired bouncing all over the place like that.

$aban's reaction to a reporter,,,,,,you will not believe this

Since January I have never underestimated Saban's ability and inclination to be an asshat.

2:07 mark.

"Maybe we should bring Kristen to the press conference. She is 16, she can ask better questions then that. She can recognize a good looking football player when she sees one, whether he is blown up or stuffed up"

It is just a matter of time.

Fer sure, fer sure. Only a matter of time. I wonder who the next "he was the guy we wanted all along" will be? Hopefully, he'll have the initial S so they won't have to scrape all the "S The Coach" stickers off their cars.

No time today, TT. Suffice it to say that he ripped into a reporter from a major Alabama news station. I mean ridiculed him and his professional ability.

What a bonehead. I'm not sure what he was thinking but, as a former reporter, I can tell you that those guys don't take those insults lightly--even when directed at a competitor.

And, quite frankly, if he's lashing out at reporters during the Honeymoon stage of his career at Alabama, how do you think he'll behave when he loses more games?

The standing principle of diplomacy? "Conserve your enemies." Saban would do well to not make any new ones.

I thought that was easily the DUMBEST question anyone has asked Saban since he's been here. I thought he'd lay into him harder.

That guy also has a history of asking RETARDED questions. He sucks.

I thought that was easily the DUMBEST question anyone has asked Saban since he's been here. I thought he'd lay into him harder.

Cool it, turkey. I go to church with him and he's a nice guy. A good christian. Can you say the same about $aban?

Sorry, BG.

1. I didn't think the question was THAT lame. In fact, it was kind of softball question, not something out of a broadcast of 60 Minutes.

2. Even if the question were a lot stupider than the one he actually asked, it is a really, really dumb move to put the wood to a sports anchor for a popular evening newscast. Dumb.

Cool it, turkey. I go to church with him and he's a nice guy. A good christian. Can you say the same about $aban?

That's a non-sequiter if ever I heard one. What does one have to do with the other? I know some raging incompetents at my church.

The issue is simple: Saban made a really stupid move by lashing out at a reporter over a fairly innocuous question.

Someone needs to post the question and reply. Streaming video is blocked at work.

the question was asking CNS if he can bring recruits the caliber of Glenn Dorsey, etc to Alabama. the question is like asking a coach "do you think your team will lose this weekend?"

CNS responded that was the point in it all and went on to say he should bring his 16 year old daughter to the PC in the future because she could ask a better question.

looking at the commitments we have in CNS' first year, i would qualify the reporter's question as kind of a dumb question.

Could someone transcribe the whole exchange here?

The sports anchor asked if Saban could bring talent that he recruited at LSU, like Dorsey and Doucet, to Alabama.

His response was basically, "Yea of course. That is our goal, to bring in good kids that are going to work hard and are good athletes. When I was at LSU and played these guys (Alabama), it was the other way around and we won (long pause)." Then he got into the comment about Kristen mentioned above.

The anchor then went on to say he now knows how reporters under Bobby Knight must've felt and that if he asked a lame question, he's asked even worse to Tuberville, but never received that kind of response.

Someone needs to post the question and reply. Streaming video is blocked at work.

the question was asking CNS if he can bring recruits the caliber of Glenn Dorsey, etc to Alabama. the question is like asking a coach "do you think your team will lose this weekend?"

CNS responded that was the point in it all and went on to say he should bring his 16 year old daughter to the PC in the future because she could ask a better question.

looking at the commitments we have in CNS' first year, i would qualify the reporter's question as kind of a dumb question.

Anybody that advertises that they run with scissors should probably refrain from calling anyone else's comments dumb.

That's a non-sequiter if ever I heard one. What does one have to do with the other? I know some raging incompetents at my church.

The issue is simple: Saban made a really stupid move by lashing out at a reporter over a fairly innocuous question.

Agreed. Good, trustworthy, admirable and faithful people in spiritual matters can sometimes by dolts when it comes to competency in their job or even basic common sense. In other words, you'd love for them to pray with you and even give you spiritual council, but you wouldn't want to depend on them for your livelihood.

That said, it was a dick move for Saban to speak to him like that. It wasn't a stellar question but it was fairly harmless. A simple "Of course I can. I wouldn't be here if I didn't believe we could get high caliber players to come play here" would have sufficed.

Edited to add: I see PChamp's response now. It appears he started down the right path, then the asshat impulse took over again.

Then again, I don't think Saban has a tactful bone in his body. His default mode is "ass."

I did not take kindly to a nice man, a friend of mine, being insulted like that.

Anybody that advertises that they run with scissors should probably refrain from calling anyone else's comments dumb.

your comment is dumb.

It's not a dumb question figuring the question was asked during the game vs. his former school and players. It might have been somewhat obvious what Saban would say, but it did provide Saban with a forum to answer the question and to ensure Alabama fans that he'd bring the same type of talant. All the stuff about Kristin and all that BS, was just that, BS. He got a few chortles in the crowd with his response, and he just kept going and going.

It was all pretty much silly.

Agreed. Good, trustworthy, admirable and faithful people in spiritual matters can sometimes by dolts when it comes to competency in their job or even basic common sense. In other words, you'd love for them to pray with you and even give you spiritual council, but you wouldn't want to depend on them for your livelihood.

That said, it was a dick move for Saban to speak to him like that. It wasn't a stellar question but it was fairly harmless. A simple "Of course I can. I wouldn't be here if I didn't believe we could get high caliber players to come play here" would have sufficed.

Then again, I don't think Saban has a tactful bone in his body. His default mode is "ass."

Reporters often throw out softball questions that lead to the quotes they want for an article. This poor guy thought he just lobbed a high hanging curve ball for Sabear to hit over the fence. Instead, he got the Full Monty.

The anchor then went on to say he now knows how reporters under Bobby Knight must've felt and that if he asked a lame question, he's asked even worse to Tuberville, but never received that kind of response.

That's because Tuberville doesn't view the press as beneath him and worthy of scorn and ridicule for the slightest infractions in his eyes.

Archived