25 Years from now, when Bama is on par with Rice...

otterinbham

...We'll look on the past few days as a watershed event in the life of the Mullet Nation.

Saban has been exposed as a mediocre coach. Why? Because great coaches (especially those in the SEC) do not lose to cellar-dwellars in a bottom feeder conference.

Saban has demonstrated that his players are merely expendable stepping stones. Why? Because he threw his players under the bus during the Monday press conference. Great coaches blame themselves for a loss, and credit their players for a win. Can you imagine Shug Jordan, Joe Paterno, or even the Bear ever calling out his players during a press conference two days after a defeat? Ever?

Saban has seen how quickly the Tide can turn on him. Notice how quickly the lynch mobs began to form? See how quickly the Nicksucking in the local press stops? A few more losses like this, and he'll be packing his bags to a more desireable coaching gig, such as North Dakota State or Toledo.

See, it's all part of Alabama's downward spiral into irrelevancy in college football. Oh, sure, lazy commentators still pull the vintage of Bear Bryant out of the film vault. But Rice used to be a college football power, too. Princeton and Yale used to matter as well. But Alabama's bizarre fans, creepy boosters, and megalomaniacal football coaches are destroying their once proud tradition, just as surely as if they were pulling down Bryant Denny Stadium one brick at a time.

Which would be fine by me. Bama delenda est.

Saban has seen how quickly the Tide can turn on him. Notice how quickly the lynch mobs began to form? See how quickly the Nicksucking in the local press stops? A few more losses like this, and he'll be packing his bags to a more desireable coaching gig, such as North Dakota State or Toledo.

You know, I knew it was going to happen, but even I didn't see it happening so soon.

I predicted the season to go about like it right up until the Mississippi State and Louisiana Monroe losses. I actually thought Saban was decent (read not great, just decent) coach. I then expected us to beat them again for 6.

I expected the unwashed masses to give him a pass. This year. I expected the lynch mobs to form next year when he has the same average season and again loses to Auburn for 7.

Christmas came over a year early.

You know the truly sad part of Saban's implosion? Most SPUAT fans still think he is the reincarnation of the Bear. That he is the greatest coach ever. That none of this is his fault. That it doesn't matter what he says or how he says it, they got him there to coach. It doesn't matter that he is an ass. That he is not leading the young men on his football team to be good people. That winning is all that matters; who cares how you get there.

Archived