How Petrino's exit unfolded

AU alum

How Petrino's exit unfolded

Coach's agent says Blank threatened legal action; owner says that is a 'lie'

By TONY BARNHART , RONNIE RAMOS

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 12/12/07

Kickoff was still six hours away, and Arthur Blank was already having the kind of day that sends lesser men hurrying into retirement.

The face of his once proud Falcons franchise, Michael Vick, had just been sentenced to 23 months' jail time for his role in a dogfighting operation. And now, Bobby Petrino, a college coach Blank had lured away from Louisville with a five-year, $24 million contract, was wondering whether he was cut out for the rough-and-tumble pro ranks.

What a day for "Monday Night Football" cameras to be in town to show his stumbling team's game against New Orleans.

Blank needed some good news. The Falcons' owner called Petrino into his expansive family foundation office in Buckhead, not to talk about that night's game but Petrino's future. Was he in for the long haul, Blank asked, or was he out?

"I pressed him," Blank said, "because I needed to know."

At the end of the hour-long meeting, Petrino stood up to leave. He had a game to go coach. "He shook my hand and said, 'You have a head coach'," Blank said.

Twenty-four hours later, Blank didn't.

Petrino was introduced late Tuesday night as the new coach at the University of Arkansas.

His abrupt resignation from the Falcons capped a week of intense meetings and maneuvers that included calls from Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, a late-night meeting at Blank's Buckhead home and a private plane sent to take Petrino away.

While the sequence of some of the events is disputed, everyone agrees Petrino was not happy. And things did not end well.

Jones, a former Arkansas football player, first phoned Blank last Thursday afternoon and told the Falcons owner he had gotten a call from the chairman of the board at Arkansas. The school wanted permission to speak to Petrino, Blank said. "I almost dropped the phone," Blank said.

"From my perspective, the answer is no," Blank said he told Jones. But Blank told Jones to call Rich McKay, the Falcons' president and general manager, for a formal answer.

On Friday, Petrino called Blank to tell him he was thinking of returning to college coaching. That same day, McKay talked to Jones. "I told him I was not inclined to grant permission," McKay said.

That didn't stop Petrino's agent, Russ Campbell of Birmingham. Campbell told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Wednesday there were discussions as early as three weeks ago. Campbell insisted he first told Blank and McKay of Petrino's unhappiness three weeks ago and that going back to college coaching was a possibility. "Arthur told me that if any time Bobby was no longer comfortable, all he had to do was come to him and he would let him go back to college football," Campbell said.

That is when Campbell said he first called Arkansas about Petrino's availability. Arkansas wasn't interested until late last week, when Jim Grobe of Wake Forest turned down the job, Campbell said. "The conversations took place over a series of days, but as it is with any talks, there is an ebb and flow," Campbell said.

On Sunday afternoon, McKay said, he talked to Jones, the Cowboys owner, again. McKay again said he was not inclined to grant permission for the school to talk to Petrino. Jones asked for a final answer so "he could get back to the people at Arkansas," McKay said.

Later that day, Petrino and McKay met with Blank at the owner's home. Petrino laid out his concerns as Blank took notes on a legal pad. Blank repeatedly refused on Wednesday to say what Petrino wanted, but was adamant the issues were not insurmountable. All Blank would say was that Petrino was concerned about the differences between coaching in college and the NFL.

The Sunday meeting did not resolve Petrino's issues. The three men would meet again Monday afternoon.

On Monday morning, according to Arkansas' out-going athletics director, Frank Broyles, there was more conversation about Petrino coming to the school. Added Campbell, Petrino's agent: "Things began to come to a head on Monday."

Broyles, who was in Atlanta on Wednesday on unrelated business, told the Journal-Constitution about Jones' contact with Blank.

"What I have heard is that [Jones and Blank] are good friends," Broyles said. "I was told Jerry got permission from Arthur Blank. Jerry talked to Arthur to get an interview. What happened after that, I don't know."

Blank and McKay both said Wednesday they never granted that permission.

Broyles said he did not have direct knowledge of the negotiations.

McKay said Wednesday that Jones' actions did not violate NFL tampering rules because Jones did not represent himself as an NFL owner.

It was clear when Petrino and his agent Campbell met Monday afternoon with McKay and Blank at the Blank Family Foundation offices that Petrino remained concerned. "He came into the office, we sat down and I said, 'Did you have any thoughts?'" Blank recalled. "He didn't say a word.

"Rich went through all the issues Bobby raised and told him we could get them all worked out.

The word Arkansas never, never in capital letters came up. He never brought the name up."

Campbell said he came to that meeting thinking it was formulate a plan to allow Petrino to explore the Arkansas job. Instead, McKay and Blank made it clear they would fight Petrino if he tried to leave and that fight could include legal action, Campbell said.

"Arthur said he had to protect his franchise," Campbell said.

"So Bobby listens to his for an hour and a half and at the end of the meeting he feels he has no choice," Campbell said.

Blank was adamant when contacted Wednesday night about Campbell's comments. "It's a complete [expletive] lie," Blank said. "There was never any discussion of legal action."

Blank said he told Petrino it was up to him. "I told him it was a free country. It's America. Do what you want to do. I signed a five-year contract with you. You have options. I don't have options."

Both sides agree that by the end of the meeting, Petrino said he would remain the Falcons coach. "When he took the field Monday night, he thought it was over," Campbell said. "He thought they had no choice but to stay." At 5 p.m., McKay called Jones and told him the Falcons were officially denying the request to talk to Petrino. Campbell called Arkansas incoming athletics director Jeff Long, who was in charge of finding a new coach, and told him the school would not receive permission to talk to Petrino.

On the floor of the Georgia Dome, 30 minutes before the nationally televised football game, Blank said, Campbell also shook his hand and told him: "Glad things worked out."

They did, but not the way Blank expected.

"After the game, [Petrino] went home with his family and they were inconsolable because of the events from the day," Campbell said. "He is sitting there at home with his crying family. And he's pretty upset himself."

Petrino, when introduced to the Arkansas media late Tuesday night, would say: "It really wasn't a change in mind. It was working out the details and the ability to get here. I wanted to get back to coaching college football."

It was in the wee hours of Tuesday morning that Petrino said he decided to resign, Campbell said.

"Fortunately for him, Arkansas had not already gone in another direction," Campbell said.

Long said he got a call from Campbell between 8 and 9 a.m. Tuesday. The message: Petrino intended to resign as coach of the Falcons.

Long decided he would not wait for the resignation and would fly to Atlanta to meet with Petrino.

At 11 a.m., Long spoke with John H. White, the Arkansas chancellor, and told him Petrino might be available. After getting the parameters of the contract terms he would be able to offer Petrino, he boarded a private plane with Scott Varady, the school's associate general counsel.

They landed at Fulton County Airport at 1:30 p.m. and went to an undisclosed downtown location to meet with Petrino and his agent. The meeting started at 2 p.m. and did not last long. After a short discussion, Long and Petrino agreed on the basic outline of a deal. The details of the contract were turned over to Campbell and Varady.

Petrino returned to Falcons headquarters in Flowery Branch and walked into McKay's office to resign. He then called Blank. "When he called me for the 30-second conversation after he resigned, I said to him, 'I assume you're going to Arkansas,' Blank told the Journal-Constitution. "He said he didn't know what he was going to do. I swear to God. He never admitted then that he was going to Arkansas."

At 8 p.m., Petrino and his family left Atlanta on the private plane with Long, his new boss, and Varady. He signed his new coaching contract on the plane.

Shortly before midnight, the coach was on a Fayetteville stage doing the school's "Woo Pig Sooey" chant as ESPN broadcast his introductory news conference live across the country.

— Staff writers Steve Wyche and Andy Miller contributed to this article.

Atlanta got "sabaned"............................

so is it unanimous that petrino gets the frank broyles asshatery of the year award or is nicky still considered for this year?

Like sand passing through an hour glass. These are the days of our lives. They could turn that into a great soap opera. Jilted owner, ruthless coach, money hungry agent, crying family, angry players. It has all of the components. And it's all playing out in the media for us to see.

so is it unanimous that petrino gets the frank broyles asshatery of the year award or is nicky still considered for this year?

That is little nicky sabaers award. Not even a contest!

There’s nothing dignified in any of that for Patrino . How do you hire a coach like that?

I know ARK needed a coach and I think Patrino was a good college coach, BUT COME ON....this guy will be the face of your football program.

Yikes!

Everything you need to know, you learned in kindergarten....

A man walking comes upon a snake...it's cold...the snake begs "Pick me up and put me inside your coat. I'm so cold." Th man replies "No! You'll bite me!" The snake promises he will not bite the man. The man finally concedes and puts the snake inside his coat. After becoming warm, the snake bites the man. The man pulls the snake from his coat, throws the snake to the ground and curses it; "You promised you wouldn't bite me!!" The snake replies "Hey...you knew what I was when you picked me up!"

:ua: & :arky: know what their coaches are...don't act surprised when they "bite"

:P

You hatred of Bama has you blinded. There is very little comparison between Saban and Petrino, yet you tools continue to push it because you hate our school. I can understand some of it, hell I give Auburn the s--- end of the stick sometimes, but this is crazy. I shouldn't feel the need to justify Saban, but I will. Saban had meetings with Wayne Huizenga in which he said "if you want me to stay I will"... Keep in mind this was AFTER the season. Wayne told him that if he wanted to go back to college, it was ok, and Huizenga is a well respected owner just like Blank. Wayne said that he will continue to be a Saban fan and still really liked the man. Can the same be said about Petrino? Hell no it can't. Are they both d-bags? You bet! But I hate to break it to you, but Tubs it too. That's what makes these guys great coaches... think skinned, hard headed winners. And keep in mind, your coach aint perfect, but he's damn good.

A few of you might see the point in this, but I'm an Alabama fan, so what I said will get lost on many of you blind peeps.

You hatred of Bama has you blinded. There is very little comparison between Saban and Petrino, yet you tools continue to push it because you hate our school. I can understand some of it, hell I give Auburn the s--- end of the stick sometimes, but this is crazy. I shouldn't feel the need to justify Saban, but I will. Saban had meetings with Wayne Huizenga in which he said "if you want me to stay I will"... Keep in mind this was AFTER the season. Wayne told him that if he wanted to go back to college, it was ok, and Huizenga is a well respected owner just like Blank. Wayne said that he will continue to be a Saban fan and still really liked the man. Can the same be said about Petrino? Hell no it can't. Are they both d-bags? You bet! But I hate to break it to you, but Tubs it too. That's what makes these guys great coaches... think skinned, hard headed winners. And keep in mind, your coach aint perfect, but he's damn good.

A few of you might see the point in this, but I'm an Alabama fan, so what I said will get lost on many of you blind peeps.

don't ever compare ctt to either of those two. If saban or petrino stay at their respective schools for nine years then you can talk. And don't come on here acting like you're enlightening us with your wisdom and then closing your post with weak smack. Here's something you can try, don't read auburn forums. Are you shocked that we don't see eye to eye with you bammers?

YOU BAMMERS CANNOT INCLUDE TUBS IN THE D-BAG COACH BS!! the man has been true to everything he has said since he's been at auburn, ESPECIALLY the latest contract negotiations. don't let the fox 6 based slanted media fool you. i know they and you hate to admit that AU has a classy coach, but you best get used to it.

sabear is very good....VERY good at losing to Coach Tuberville and VERY good at treating people (the media-media relations employees-Athl. office workers-everybody) like dirt. He MAY be a so-so SEC Coach. He has proven that he can't cut it in the "people skills" dept.

If that bothers you, well, tough. Those are the FACTS and they are undisputed.

p.s. S I X....and counting.....Three Centuries of ownership of JH West.

I knew you would throw up the "well in the past 9 years" argument, and I totally agree that he has done everything correct since he's been with you guys. But to say something he did 9 years ago isn't important is crap. There is no statute of limitations on being a pecker head. Saban no matter what good things he does at Bama, or Tubs at Auburn, they will always be remembered as a 'liar/satan' and 'pinebox tubby'. It's a fact. Rivals never forget, that's why this stuff just hangs around. I never said he was classy, but I did say that I thought he was a good/great coach. I fail to see how I can say something like that, yet none of you seem to understand what I'm trying to get at. I'm not asking you guys to say Saban is the bestest ever... Just to look at things other than through AU glasses. There are a few names I recognize from Bama forums I go to telling us how we see things through Bama glasses and need to see things for how they are. I'm just returning the favor.

I knew you would throw up the "well in the past 9 years" argument, and I totally agree that he has done everything correct since he's been with you guys. But to say something he did 9 years ago isn't important is crap. There is no statute of limitations on being a pecker head. Saban no matter what good things he does at Bama, or Tubs at Auburn, they will always be remembered as a 'liar/satan' and 'pinebox tubby'. It's a fact. Rivals never forget, that's why this stuff just hangs around. I never said he was classy, but I did say that I thought he was a good/great coach. I fail to see how I can say something like that, yet none of you seem to understand what I'm trying to get at. I'm not asking you guys to say Saban is the bestest ever... Just to look at things other than through AU glasses. There are a few names I recognize from Bama forums I go to telling us how we see things through Bama glasses and need to see things for how they are. I'm just returning the favor.

next time try setting us straight without calling us "tools" and "blind peeps". and backhanded compliments get you nowhere either. Go back to your bammer board, i'm sure there are topics on recruiting or how everthing is mike shulas fault to discuss.

I must say that these random uaters almost make me appreciate bg...almost....

Just curious, bammer, why are you here if you know we're not going to agree with you? Trying to defend what little dignity your school and Satan have left?

I'm here b/c I enjoy the arguments, when well formed. It's nice to keep up with rival things from time to time. I do like to justify my school and their decisions, most haven't been great in the past 10 years. I'm just doing what you guys would ifin you were in the same football situation.

I just love revisionist history.

George Washington was a brother, you know. And so was Ben Franklin.

I just love revisionist history.

George Washington was a brother, you know. And so was Ben Franklin.

And Alabama has 12 National Championships... no wait... 13, because the one Sa6an won at LSU counts too.

You need not worry. I feel safe in saying NONE of us will say $aban is the "bestest ever", unless he is the bestest a-hole ever.

I will concede that what Tubby did at Ole Miss was crap. He lied. No way to dance around that. He lied. "The only way I leave Ole Miss is in a pinebox." No way to dress that up. What I will say is that he built that program. He left them MUCH better off than when he got there. He took a scandal plagued school, cleaned them up, taught them how to win, helped raise money for better facilities, and left for a better opportunity.

In addition, time does change things, no matter how loud you scream otherwise. He had good reason to leave Auburn. He got stabbed in the dang back worse than any coach I've ever seen. After that what did he do? He stuck with Auburn when he had ALL the power. He was one of the hottest coaches in the country. There was all the opportunity in the world to leave, and he didn't take it. He stayed. THAT does and should change the way he's remembered.

You also make an a** out of yourself by claiming that a long tenure at one place doesn't change anything. Tubby has had two head coaching jobs for over 15 years. Saban has had 4 in the same time, and Petrino is on his 3rd in 6 years. Tubby has shown that he doesn't want to move around. He found a place that he could win, and he's stuck it out there.

$aban, like Petrino, lied at his last college stop. They both claimed they didn't want to coach in the NFL, but lo and behold, they both ended up there for the almighty dollar. Once in the league, they both crapped all over their employers, treated the media like crap, lied as blatantly as a man can lie ("Do I have to say it again? I guess I do. I will NOT be the head coach at the University of Alabama."), left the franchises they worked for in complete shambles, and took jobs they denied having any contact with.

I think it's important to note that they both turned tail and ran from a tough task. They stepped into NFL positions, made it worse, and instead of sticking it out to fix the crap, ran away. On top of that, they both ran back to college preaching dedication to their new employers. I think its fair to say: I'll believe it when I see it. If $aban or Bobby P is still around in 9 years, I'll be shocked, but I won't be such an idiot to deny that they've turned around their image or become different kinds of men.

(and to top it off, $aban and Petrino also came back for oodles of cash for a job they perceived as easier)

Just curious, bammer, why are you here if you know we're not going to agree with you? Trying to defend what little dignity your school and Satan have left?

I'm here b/c I enjoy the arguments, when well formed. It's nice to keep up with rival things from time to time. I do like to justify my school and their decisions, most haven't been great in the past 10 years. I'm just doing what you guys would ifin you were in the same football situation.

I speak for 99% of us who would kindly disagree. I would never go on, or even register to read a stupid UAT board. Redneck drivel is not my cup of tea. And I damn sure wouldn't waste my time trying to explain to a pack of idiots that the sky really is blue.

Redneck drivel is not my cup of tea.

This is what I love about you guys. You call people from you own state rednecks, one tooth wonder, etc... that is time you could be making fun of Tennessee, Mississippi, West Virginia and so on. I've never understood that. Our fan bases aren't that different.

Redneck drivel is not my cup of tea.

This is what I love about you guys. You call people from you own state rednecks, one tooth wonder, etc... that is time you could be making fun of Tennessee, Mississippi, West Virginia and so on. I've never understood that. Our fan bases aren't that different.

The day you can point out the AU equivalent of: Phyliss, Shane, Tattoo-Back Man, Fairy Bear, Ramp Lady & 92k tight-fisted charity donors all in one locale is the day you may have a point. Keep deluding yourself, Bubba. Our respective fan bases are worlds apart. .

Archived