anymore naysayers about the new offense?

tigernt'town

Hawaii doesn't run the same kind of spread offense Florida does or that Franklin does. It's more of the run and shoot where they aren't shy about flinging it around 50-55 times a game and rolling up 450 yds passing. Franklin's offense is balanced (Troy ran it 47% of the time and passed 53% and that was without a decent RB most of the year due to injuries). Troy put up 34 pts and 488 yds of offense on this same UGA team. And it wasn't done in garbage time either. Early in the 3rd quarter, UGA only led 24-20 and early in the 4th, Troy was only trailing 34-27.

The point about recruiting WRs is that we needed to show we were committed to changing the philosophy.

I'll buy that. However I think UGA showed that the DL is critical to stopping an Urban type spread. Big DL that can get up field can disrupt the rhythm of the offense. I'm just not sold on the spread being the be all, end all offense for football in the future.

UF won a championship with Chris Leak running a neutered spread offense, since he could not run the offense like Tebow. UF was 9-4 this year with Tebow running the offense the way Meyer would like it to be run, sans a RB. :gofig:

Have you just totally skipped over the fact that Florida's D was crap? It has been pointed out a few times in this thread.

The Florida argument is pretty pointless. Someone pick a team that runs the spread and has a defense that is equal to ours?

I feel like it is some what of the flavor of the week offense. But it works well for us. And I think Franklin will be able to adjust to the defensive schemes he will see in the SEC. I liked what I saw at the game.

I don't understand the pack of Negative Nellys. But whatever. Lump me with the sunshine pumpers, its comfortable over here.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice statistical argument. It has very little to do with my post, though. Funny how reading 1 or 2 words changes the meaning.

I don't share your negativity but brilliant reply! I was thinking it then saw your post.

My worry about Franklin is the same worry I had before CAB (and at times during his tenure) which is that it seems like even when what we're doing isn't working, we're gonna keep doing it. I'm afraid that attitude will win some games (like last night) and lose others. Seeing as the team was used to running CAB's offense, it seemed like pure stubbornness to not run that offense a little more. Personally, I don't think it is the offensive scheme that is the problem as much as execution and play calling. Running CABs offense without his predictability after the scripted plays probably would net the same results.

However, I fully realize there were very few practices and if this offense just helps us win 1-2 more games a year, it's a success.

Probably means you have no real idea.

AU Total yards against -

Bama - 282

Georgia - 216

LSU - 296

Arkansas - 290

Florida - 326

Miss St - 323

South Florida - 290

Kansas St - 291

That's a lot of games this season with 326 yards or less. That's 6 games with less than 300 total yards of offense. We've given Borges some slack the past two years with injuries and with the assumption that Cox is a terrible QB/horrible WRs. Well, with the same players that Borges had three years to develop an offense with, Franklin got 423 total yards against a Top 15 defense with about 9 practices to do so.

Hawaii doesn't run the same kind of spread offense Florida does or that Franklin does. It's more of the run and shoot where they aren't shy about flinging it around 50-55 times a game and rolling up 450 yds passing. Franklin's offense is balanced (Troy ran it 47% of the time and passed 53% and that was without a decent RB most of the year due to injuries). Troy put up 34 pts and 488 yds of offense on this same UGA team. And it wasn't done in garbage time either. Early in the 3rd quarter, UGA only led 24-20 and early in the 4th, Troy was only trailing 34-27.

The point about recruiting WRs is that we needed to show we were committed to changing the philosophy.

I'll buy that. However I think UGA showed that the DL is critical to stopping an Urban type spread. Big DL that can get up field can disrupt the rhythm of the offense. I'm just not sold on the spread being the be all, end all offense for football in the future.

A good DL that can get penetration and contain the edges like Georgia will disrupt any offense. The spread isn't especially susceptible to it.

UF won a championship with Chris Leak running a neutered spread offense, since he could not run the offense like Tebow. UF was 9-4 this year with Tebow running the offense the way Meyer would like it to be run, sans a RB. :gofig:

There really isn't a go figure to it at all. The offense this year at Florida was better under Tebow than last year under Leak. But their defense last year was a Top 10 unit; 6th in total defense and 6th in scoring defense. They dropped to 34th in total defense and 41st in scoring defense. It doesn't matter that much if your offense is way better if your defense doesn't hold up its end of the bargain.

Yeah, I've said "that's retarded" a few times, but that was in bad taste, Wingnut. Besides, equating 302089's post with retardation is really insulting to mentally challenged people everywhere.

Best compliment I've had all day.

Says they guy that got every argument he made crushed by people who understand facts and nettling things like that. Any other grand sweeping statements you'd like to pull out of your butt for more well-deserved ridicule?

Dude aren't you supposed to be a mod?This is turning into a you suck know you suck debate.I wouldn't be allowed to do this......Now get back on subject or I'm calling the man.

Yeah, I've said "that's retarded" a few times, but that was in bad taste, Wingnut. Besides, equating 302089's post with retardation is really insulting to mentally challenged people everywhere.

Says they guy that got every argument he made crushed by people who understand facts and nettling things like that. Any other grand sweeping statements you'd like to pull out of your butt for more well-deserved ridicule?

Dude aren't you supposed to be a mod?This is turning into a you suck know you suck debate.I wouldn't be allowed to do this......Now get back on subject or I'm calling the man.

It took me 4 pages to get to this point after several posts giving him factual information to chew on. Everyone has their limits. Our numbered friend apparently has decided the board doesn't have enough mindless distributors of ignorance and I'm sarcastically informing him we don't need another one.

It took me 4 pages to get to this point after several posts giving him factual information to chew on. Everyone has their limits. Our numbered friend apparently has decided the board doesn't have enough mindless distributors of ignorance and I'm sarcastically informing him we don't need another one.

Again with the "WE"......don't bring anyone else into this,everyone on this board can make their arguments in a single view.If you don't like the man's veiws ingnore it,being if it's football related."Everyone has their limitls"..I shall use this quote abound.Happy New year.

Again with the "WE"......don't bring anyone else into this,everyone on this board can make their arguments in a single view.If you don't like the man's veiws ingnore it,being if it's football related."Everyone has their limitls"..I shall use this quote abound.Happy New year.

If I want to use "we", I will. You don't like it? Tough noogies. I get that you have a burr under your saddle about the moderation and while in most cases I'm fairly sensitive to it and willing to listen and concede points, you're not exactly one that it greatly concerns me to upset.

Any other petty gripes you'd like to get out of your system?

Really? Wow....... When did this board get infested

Really? Wow....... When did this board get infested

^^^^^ This guy gets it.^^^^^^

Some of you Kodi doubters are really starting to piss me off. I mean my god. I'm tired of this... "Oh well he better learn to the throw the ball or he won't survive in the SEC." As much as i hate to bring up the Tebow analogy I must. Everyone said the same thing about him last year, "OH he better learn to throw because he won't be able to run every play next year" and what did he do? Threw a million TDs. I mean geeze Kodi threw for 6k yards in highschool. Do you really think a major program is going to recruit a QB that doesn't know how to throw? That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I mean if he was recruited as a QB, call me crazy, but I'm "pretty sure" he knows how to throw the ball. Some people are just ignorant.

Some of you Kodi doubters are really starting to piss me off. I mean my god. I'm tired of this... "Oh well he better learn to the throw the ball or he won't survive in the SEC." As much as i hate to bring up the Tebow analogy I must. Everyone said the same thing about him last year, "OH he better learn to throw because he won't be able to run every play next year" and what did he do? Threw a million TDs. I mean geeze Kodi threw for 6k yards in highschool. Do you really think a major program is going to recruit a QB that doesn't know how to throw? That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I mean if he was recruited as a QB, call me crazy, but I'm "pretty sure" he knows how to throw the ball. Some people are just ignorant.

Standing ovation

I think the point is, there is simply no reason for this random pessimism about the offense, Kodi or anything going into next year. Now, that's not to say that one has reason to exclusively have unbridled optimism and start blathering about national titles either. But Franklin has been successful everywhere he's run his system, including at Kentucky. He was successful at Troy even against SEC competition. Other teams that run somewhat similar systems, whether it's run oriented like West Virginia or balanced like Florida have done very well for themselves. So there is reason to believe that if we can do this well after only 10 practices that we can look much, much better on offense than we have the last couple of years.

I’m one of those that felt Borges could probably do better with a more athletic QB next year anyway, but I think Franklin will probably do even better. No, it’s not the unstoppable offense that no defensive coordinator can scheme against but it’s an effective offense and can pile up the points. Paired with another great defense from Muschamp, you have to at least be excited about the possibilities.

For all those kodi burns needs to learn to throw people. you might wanna look at his high school stats he threw for over 6000 yrds there

he might know how to through if you have rivals member ship check his

video

1. kodi burns needs to either learn how to throw a football, or take up eqestrian. sure, one td pass is great, but that doesn't buy a damn thing in the SEC.

2. tony franklin is a copy cat. borges ran the same offense in 2004, we just had cadillac and ronnie brown to run the ball. we also threw the same passes to the backs in 2004.

3. brandon cox needed to be in the shotgun all season. granted, our line is young, but they sucked this year. i don't care if you are a true freshman or a senior starting for the first time. you are in the game for a reason, and that is to get the job done. so buckle your damn helmet and get it done.

1. kodi burns needs to either learn how to throw a football, or take up eqestrian. sure, one td pass is great, but that doesn't buy a damn thing in the SEC.

2. tony franklin is a copy cat. borges ran the same offense in 2004, we just had cadillac and ronnie brown to run the ball. we also threw the same passes to the backs in 2004.

3. brandon cox needed to be in the shotgun all season. granted, our line is young, but they sucked this year. i don't care if you are a true freshman or a senior starting for the first time. you are in the game for a reason, and that is to get the job done. so buckle your damn helmet and get it done.

ignorant at best... Wow please read above. Kodi burns needs to learn how to throw? Are you serious. He only threw 4 passes man... How many touchdowns you want him to throw? Can't help it if the coaches are calling passing plays for him. You are exactly the kind of person I mentioned in my post above. As a matter of fact I quoted almost exactly what you just said about what I hate that people say about Kodi. Please read above. Your post was just horrible. Please rethink your thoughts.

I thought the offense was good. I was really impressed with how much they were able to put in in just 10 days. Brandon had 25 completions, which was a CAREER HIGH for him, and Kodi looked pretty good. Sure there were a few mistakes and missed reads (that probably could've been for six), but they only had 10 days people. Kodi is gonna be one hell of a QB for us during the next few years. War Damn Kodi!

For the DA who replied to the what did Tebow do this season question with 9-4. I'm thinking something along the lines of HEISMAN TROPHY WINNER. That should take the 9-4 crap out of your way of thinking now. :chair:

Burns knows how to throw the football. He passed for over 6,000 yds in high school. He just spent all year trying to learn the West Coast offense, which is very complicated and had to learn the spread in 10 practices. Odds are he will get much better but to act like he can't throw based on what little we've seen this year as a true freshman is just ignorant.

Franklin and Borges run totally different offenses. You are discrediting yourself as someone to waste time reading.

Our offensive line did a very good job overall this year and being a true freshman does make a difference. To say they sucked makes you look really, really dumb.

I'll give you the Brandon in the shotgun point. I guess even blind squirrels find a nut here and there.

watch football then get back to us. Every point you make indicates you haven't seen a game in a while, if ever. 1.) it isn't kodi's fault the plays he's told to run aren't passing plays. Do you think he can just throw it on any down he chooses? 2. not even worth getting into. 3. again, watch some football and get back to us. Our OL was incredible all season with 3 freshmen starters.

Archived