anymore naysayers about the new offense?

tigernt'town

My worry about Franklin is the same worry I had before CAB (and at times during his tenure) which is that it seems like even when what we're doing isn't working, we're gonna keep doing it. I'm afraid that attitude will win some games (like last night) and lose others. Seeing as the team was used to running CAB's offense, it seemed like pure stubbornness to not run that offense a little more. Personally, I don't think it is the offensive scheme that is the problem as much as execution and play calling. Running CABs offense without his predictability after the scripted plays probably would net the same results.

You got all that from one game? Seemed to me CTT wanted to use the bowl game as a recruiting tool to help us get some better WRs in here, not run an old offense that his new OC's not familiar with.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't share your negativity but brilliant reply! I was thinking it then saw your post.

My worry about Franklin is the same worry I had before CAB (and at times during his tenure) which is that it seems like even when what we're doing isn't working, we're gonna keep doing it. I'm afraid that attitude will win some games (like last night) and lose others. Seeing as the team was used to running CAB's offense, it seemed like pure stubbornness to not run that offense a little more. Personally, I don't think it is the offensive scheme that is the problem as much as execution and play calling. Running CABs offense without his predictability after the scripted plays probably would net the same results.

However, I fully realize there were very few practices and if this offense just helps us win 1-2 more games a year, it's a success.

Probably means you have no real idea.

AU Total yards against -

Bama - 282

Georgia - 216

LSU - 296

Arkansas - 290

Florida - 326

Miss St - 323

South Florida - 290

Kansas St - 291

That's a lot of games this season with 326 yards or less. That's 6 games with less than 300 total yards of offense. We've given Borges some slack the past two years with injuries and with the assumption that Cox is a terrible QB/horrible WRs. Well, with the same players that Borges had three years to develop an offense with, Franklin got 423 total yards against a Top 15 defense with about 9 practices to do so.

It will be nasty if Kodi can learn how to throw the ball. Until then, I'd look for another QB next year unless he shows improvement in that area.

I think the same was said about Tebow his freshman year, how'd he do this year?

9-4

And of course that had nothing to do with losing 7 or 8 starters on defense. Especially since when you compare last year's UF offense to this year's, they improved this year in almost every way:

Rushing Offense

2006: 38th, 160.0 ypg

2007: 26th, 197.7 ypg

Passing Offense

2006: 28th, 236.1 ypg

2007: 33rd, 264.3 ypg

Total Offense

2006: 19th, 396.1 ypg

2007: 14th, 462.0 ypg

Scoring Offense

2006: 23rd, 29.7 ppg

2007: 4th, 43.1 ppg

Not to mention, Tim Tebow was 7th in the country in total offense, in the league with the best defenses in the country week after week. He didn't get the benefit of matador defenses like the QB from Hawaii or Central Michigan or Louisville for instance. He had to line up against the likes of Auburn, LSU, Georgia, and FSU (who despite their woeful offense had a good defense this year).

It was on defense that Florida faltered, causing them to drop 3 more games this year:

Rushing Defense

2006: 5th, 72.5 ypg

2007: 11th, 99.3 ypg

Passing Defense

2006: 33rd, 182.9 ypg

2007: 86th, 249.0 ypg

Total Defense

2006: 6th, 255.4 ypg

2007: 34th, 348.3 ypg

Scoring Defense

2006: 6th, 13.5 ppg

2007: 41st, 24.2 ppg

Knowledge is your friend. Ignorance isn't.

Also guys, what makes a great offensive coordinator is how well he is able to adjust once defenses start to learn how to play against his style of offense. Al Borges was not able to do this. Here is hoping CTF is the kind of coach that knows how to tweak his offense to stay ahead of defensive coordinators as they adjust also.

It will be nasty if Kodi can learn how to throw the ball. Until then, I'd look for another QB next year unless he shows improvement in that area.

9-4

And of course that had nothing to do with losing 7 or 8 starters on defense. Especially since when you compare last year's UF offense to this year's, they improved this year in almost every way:

Rushing Offense

2006: 38th, 160.0 ypg

2007: 26th, 197.7 ypg

Passing Offense

2006: 28th, 236.1 ypg

2007: 33rd, 264.3 ypg

Total Offense

2006: 19th, 396.1 ypg

2007: 14th, 462.0 ypg

Scoring Offense

2006: 23rd, 29.7 ppg

2007: 4th, 43.1 ppg

Not to mention, Tim Tebow was 7th in the country in total offense, in the league with the best defenses in the country week after week. He didn't get the benefit of matador defenses like the QB from Hawaii or Central Michigan or Louisville for instance. He had to line up against the likes of Auburn, LSU, Georgia, and FSU (who despite their woeful offense had a good defense this year).

It was on defense that Florida faltered, causing them to drop 3 more games this year:

Rushing Defense

2006: 5th, 72.5 ypg

2007: 11th, 99.3 ypg

Passing Defense

2006: 33rd, 182.9 ypg

2007: 86th, 249.0 ypg

Total Defense

2006: 6th, 255.4 ypg

2007: 34th, 348.3 ypg

Scoring Defense

2006: 6th, 13.5 ppg

2007: 41st, 24.2 ppg

Knowledge is your friend. Ignorance isn't.

some rushing stats against the 3 best teams Teblow played,

UGA= -15yds rushing

LSU= +67 yds rushing.

AU= +75 yds rushing.

This was against decent teams not overinflated stats against creampuffs.

UGA= -15yds rushing

LSU= +67 yds rushing.

AU= +75 yds rushing.

And Florida played roughly the same schedule last year, yet the offense still improved significantly overall. The point was, people questioned whether Tebow could pass effectively since he basically ran 90% of the time last year when he was in the game. He not only passed effectively, his performance carried the UF offense to much better production than last year. The record wasn't as good because the defense fell off so badly. You've lost the argument you were making already, you're just apparently the last to realize it.

And you can't just point to one stat for Tebow to decide his impact on a game. Looking at the total picture:

UGA: 221 total yds., 3 TDs (1 passing, 2 rushing). And the rushing yardage is skewed by 6 sacks...a quirk of college stat keeping. The NFL takes sack yardage off team passing stats, college off of rushing. So Tebow's true rushing yardage was actually 25 yds rushing and 256 total.

LSU: 225 total yds., 3 TDs (2 passing, 1 rushing)

AU: 276 total yds., 2 TDs (1 passing, 1 rushing)

9-4

I don't share your negativity but brilliant reply! I was thinking it then saw your post.

However, I fully realize there were very few practices and if this offense just helps us win 1-2 more games a year, it's a success.

UF also didnt have a defense near as stout as ours. Nor do they have a RB that can hold a candle to the 3 we have. Im also excited about what E. Davis has to offer.

UF also didnt have a defense near as stout as ours. Nor do they have a RB that can hold a candle to the 3 we have. Im also excited about what E. Davis has to offer.

This is true. There's not a RB on Florida's roster that would have seen anything other than mop-up time against Tennessee Tech for us.

we haven't had a decent fullback since Heath Evans either. Hard to run the old power I w/o a FB.

I think that this is a big reason for a need for a new sysem that doesn't rely on a fullback because high school's aren't producing them.

we haven't had a decent fullback since Heath Evans either. Hard to run the old power I w/o a FB.

I think that this is a big reason for a need for a new sysem that doesn't rely on a fullback because high school's aren't producing them.

Where does the NFL get them?

Where does the NFL get them?

They are becoming a dying breed in the NFL as well. Many NFL teams run a one-back offense or primarily one-back. They only bring in the FB for goal line stuff. They'd rather use a TE in the lineup all the time because they can send him into motion and block anywhere a FB normally would, or he can release and become a 4th receiver. It just gives the offense more options.

And also, the NFL would be the last to see it go because they have guys like Tony Richardson who has been playing for 12 years or so whereas colleges and high schools don't keep guys that long. Plus, there are only 32 NFL teams that need them while there are 119 FBS (D-1A) schools that need them in college and thousands of high school programs that would need them.

The point isn't that they don't exist, just that they are getting harder and harder to find. And the NFL will eventually see that scarcity trickle up to them, or they'll take smaller TEs or larger tailbacks and convert them to fullbacks if they run an offense that requires them.

USC had one as well. But they run that outdated I formation.

USC's talent level is a lot better than most teams so whatever "outdated" offense they run will do pretty good. That and the Pac10 is bad and Illinois is not a juggernaught on defense.

UGA= -15yds rushing

LSU= +67 yds rushing.

AU= +75 yds rushing.

And Florida played roughly the same schedule last year, yet the offense still improved significantly overall. The point was, people questioned whether Tebow could pass effectively since he basically ran 90% of the time last year when he was in the game. He not only passed effectively, his performance carried the UF offense to much better production than last year. The record wasn't as good because the defense fell off so badly. You've lost the argument you were making already, you're just apparently the last to realize it.

And you can't just point to one stat for Tebow to decide his impact on a game. Looking at the total picture:

UGA: 221 total yds., 3 TDs (1 passing, 2 rushing). And the rushing yardage is skewed by 6 sacks...a quirk of college stat keeping. The NFL takes sack yardage off team passing stats, college off of rushing. So Tebow's true rushing yardage was actually 25 yds rushing and 256 total.

LSU: 225 total yds., 3 TDs (2 passing, 1 rushing)

AU: 276 total yds., 2 TDs (1 passing, 1 rushing)

My faith in humanity is restored...I thought my point was pretty self explanatory, but the troll didn't. He's on my ignore list now, so it really doesn't matter.

"Fighting over the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics. Even if you win... you're still retarted."

peace

...interjects "Wingnut"...

Nice message. We shouldn't "fight on the internet", but making fun of retarded athletes is okay.

Gotcha.

Can't wait for post #2 :thumbsup:

Yeah, I've said "that's retarded" a few times, but that was in bad taste, Wingnut. Besides, equating 302089's post with retardation is really insulting to mentally challenged people everywhere.

Yeah, I've said "that's retarded" a few times, but that was in bad taste, Wingnut. Besides, equating 302089's post with retardation is really insulting to mentally challenged people everywhere.

Best compliment I've had all day.

Best compliment I've had all day.

Says they guy that got every argument he made crushed by people who understand facts and nettling things like that. Any other grand sweeping statements you'd like to pull out of your butt for more well-deserved ridicule?

Cox is no threat to run and Burns (although he did throw a TD pass) is no threat to pass right now. He just doesn't look comfortable throwing the ball yet

Its hard to look comfortable throwing the ball when you only get about 20 pass attempts all season. Im amazed how everyone is convinced Burns can't throw the ball because of the very few opportunities he has gotten in games.

Aren't these the same baord members that thought Borges was an All-World OC, up to just a few weeks ago??? Many were the same that poo poo'd Urban Myers spread offense...my how times change.

UGA seems to be having a very difficult time with UH's spread offense...what's the score now: 41-10? And how does UGA score so many pts, oh yea a good defense helps; without the vaunted spread offense?

Do I miss Borges? You have to be kidding me. I'm not sold on the offense du jour being the best option for success. Does SC run the spread? LSU? OSU? Do they have a difficult time recruiting WRs to their programs? No.

I hope Kodi develops the passing facet of his game or we are in for a long season next year. Kodi is no Tim Tebow, he will not be able to run 20 times and put the team on his back. Right now 99% of the time Kodi is in, he runs... it will not be long before we see 8 men in the box. Then Kodi will be forced to stretch the field vertically. I'm just not much for fads.

Looks like UGA is not terrified of THE SPREAD. :blink:

Hawaii doesn't run the same kind of spread offense Florida does or that Franklin does. It's more of the run and shoot where they aren't shy about flinging it around 50-55 times a game and rolling up 450 yds passing. Franklin's offense is balanced (Troy ran it 47% of the time and passed 53% and that was without a decent RB most of the year due to injuries). Troy put up 34 pts and 488 yds of offense on this same UGA team. And it wasn't done in garbage time either. Early in the 3rd quarter, UGA only led 24-20 and early in the 4th, Troy was only trailing 34-27.

The point about recruiting WRs is that we needed to show we were committed to changing the philosophy.

Probably means you have no real idea.

AU Total yards against -

Bama - 282

Georgia - 216

LSU - 296

Arkansas - 290

Florida - 326

Miss St - 323

South Florida - 290

Kansas St - 291

That's a lot of games this season with 326 yards or less. That's 6 games with less than 300 total yards of offense. We've given Borges some slack the past two years with injuries and with the assumption that Cox is a terrible QB/horrible WRs. Well, with the same players that Borges had three years to develop an offense with, Franklin got 423 total yards against a Top 15 defense with about 9 practices to do so.

So it basically proves the point that many of us were saying all along. Borges was an average OC. The novelty wore off of his schemes but many continued to defend him in spite of awful offensive production.

:thumbsup:

Hawaii doesn't run the same kind of spread offense Florida does or that Franklin does. It's more of the run and shoot where they aren't shy about flinging it around 50-55 times a game and rolling up 450 yds passing. Franklin's offense is balanced (Troy ran it 47% of the time and passed 53% and that was without a decent RB most of the year due to injuries). Troy put up 34 pts and 488 yds of offense on this same UGA team. And it wasn't done in garbage time either. Early in the 3rd quarter, UGA only led 24-20 and early in the 4th, Troy was only trailing 34-27.

The point about recruiting WRs is that we needed to show we were committed to changing the philosophy.

I'll buy that. However I think UGA showed that the DL is critical to stopping an Urban type spread. Big DL that can get up field can disrupt the rhythm of the offense. I'm just not sold on the spread being the be all, end all offense for football in the future.

UF won a championship with Chris Leak running a neutered spread offense, since he could not run the offense like Tebow. UF was 9-4 this year with Tebow running the offense the way Meyer would like it to be run, sans a RB. :gofig:

Archived