USC vs Illinois

Yeah I understand, but my question is, how can they say anything positive about Illinois? They've been talking about the great job Zook has done there and how the defense stepped up after giving up the early TD's, other than that, there isn't anything positive to say about the way they've been playing.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike USC as much as the next guy, but the announcers have to talk about something.

True. But they could say, "Wow, what a big hit by Maualuga" instead of "Maualuga is the hardest hitting linebacker in the country, and we could see why after that sack."

They also slobbered all over USC's manland when they said USC was "one of the best teams in the country, if not THE best team in the country." Isn't USC 7th in the BCS rankings?

EDIT - That was an example right there. McKnight made an easy catch and breaks one tackle for about a fourteen yard gain. That happens plenty of times in every single football game. Why did Musdouche just say, "OOOoohhhh is he explosive!" Who the hell wants to listen to that?

I'll give you that they could word things differently. I'm not really denying that they love USC and have pretty much since 2003, they're already naming them #1 next year. But I would say your statement about them being 7th in the BCS is meaningless. We all know the BCS is worthless and I do believe that in a playoff system they'd have a shot at making it to the championship game.

I honestly don't think Illinois has any place playing in the Rose Bowl today. Missouri would have been a much better matchup and much more deserving of a BCS game.

I made no such statement as indicated by the question mark.

USC is by no means the best team in the country after showing that a group of Cardinal can shut the Trojan machine down. Herbstreit is a voter. If he's voting USC #1, I'd like to check his credentials. Is he truly qualified to vote? Does he have an adequate reason to be voting a two loss team #1 when there are two 1 loss teams and one undefeated team? If he didn't vote them #1, then why would he make statements like that? I think it's because these guys love to have fun when USC wins. It must be great because USC is usually matched against lesser opponents like Illinois, so it's easy to proclaim USC the greatest of all time.

It was a 1 pt loss after SC gave Stanford turnovers. The cards didn't really shut SC down, SC still scored 23 pts with an injured QB. -4 turnover margin and they lost by 1? Booty threw 4 picks and he broke his finger in the 2nd quarter and finished the game... SC had a 35 :o home game winning streak that was snapped...it happens. We lost 2 games back to back, at home, the same year; to inferior teams... Yea SC is terrible. :rolleyes:

If you want to hate SC and PC just admit you hate them because PC took a down and out program created a winning program, won 1.5 MNCs, recruits like no other and embarassed us at home in 2003.

This despite the fact that he has had to replace several coaches that were cherry picked from him.

Yeah I understand, but my question is, how can they say anything positive about Illinois? They've been talking about the great job Zook has done there and how the defense stepped up after giving up the early TD's, other than that, there isn't anything positive to say about the way they've been playing.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike USC as much as the next guy, but the announcers have to talk about something.

True. But they could say, "Wow, what a big hit by Maualuga" instead of "Maualuga is the hardest hitting linebacker in the country, and we could see why after that sack."

They also slobbered all over USC's manland when they said USC was "one of the best teams in the country, if not THE best team in the country." Isn't USC 7th in the BCS rankings?

EDIT - That was an example right there. McKnight made an easy catch and breaks one tackle for about a fourteen yard gain. That happens plenty of times in every single football game. Why did Musdouche just say, "OOOoohhhh is he explosive!" Who the hell wants to listen to that?

I'll give you that they could word things differently. I'm not really denying that they love USC and have pretty much since 2003, they're already naming them #1 next year. But I would say your statement about them being 7th in the BCS is meaningless. We all know the BCS is worthless and I do believe that in a playoff system they'd have a shot at making it to the championship game.

I honestly don't think Illinois has any place playing in the Rose Bowl today. Missouri would have been a much better matchup and much more deserving of a BCS game.

USC is by no means the best team in the country after showing that a group of Cardinal can shut the Trojan machine down. Herbstreit is a voter. If he's voting USC #1, I'd like to check his credentials. Is he truly qualified to vote? Does he have an adequate reason to be voting a two loss team #1 when there are two 1 loss teams and one undefeated team? If he didn't vote them #1, then why would he make statements like that? I think it's because these guys love to have fun when USC wins. It must be great because USC is usually matched against lesser opponents like Illinois, so it's easy to proclaim USC the greatest of all time.

It was a 1 pt loss after SC gave Stanford turnovers. The cards didn't really shut SC down, SC still scored 23 pts with an injured QB. -4 turnover margin and they lost by 1? Booty threw 4 picks and he broke his finger in the 2nd quarter and finished the game... SC had a 35 :o home game winning streak that was snapped...it happens. We lost 2 games back to back, at home, the same year; to inferior teams... Yea SC is terrible. :rolleyes:

If you want to hate SC and PC just admit you hate them because PC took a down and out program created a winning program, won 1.5 MNCs, recruits like no other and embarassed us at home in 2003.

This despite the fact that he has had to replace several coaches that were cherry picked from him.

I said I hate USC?

What's the point of this response especially four days after the fact? You think USC is the #1 team in the country right now?

And to add - Stanford was not a good football team this year. If I had to pick Miss St vs Stanford, I'd pick Miss St in a heartbeat. If I had to pick South Florida vs Stanford, I'd pick South Florida in a heartbeat. If I had to pick USC without their starting QB vs Stanford without their starting or 2nd string QB, I'd pick USC in a heartbeat. USC lost by 1 to a vastly inferior opponent at home. That's a huge stake in the heart of the "USC is the #1 team in the country" argument no matter how you spin it.

This was a terrible game. Everyone knew it was going to be bad, and ABC and ESPN desperately tried to pump it up, but it was a dud, just as expected. I hope that people turned off their televisions and that the ratings were in the tank for this pathetic game.

The Rose Bowl had a chance to have what would have been an outstanding matchup, but when they picked Illinois over Georgia they blew it.

I have read several columns blasting the Rose Bowl Selection Committee, so we are certainly not the only ones who feel this way.

The Rose Bowl never had a chance to select UGA. Due to some wacky BCS rule, the Sugar would needed to have consented to let UGA go to the Rose which NEVER, EVER, EVER would have happened.

Doesn't matter either way though as the Rose never asked but USC/UGA would never have happened even if the Rose had asked

This was a terrible game. Everyone knew it was going to be bad, and ABC and ESPN desperately tried to pump it up, but it was a dud, just as expected. I hope that people turned off their televisions and that the ratings were in the tank for this pathetic game.

The Rose Bowl had a chance to have what would have been an outstanding matchup, but when they picked Illinois over Georgia they blew it.

I have read several columns blasting the Rose Bowl Selection Committee, so we are certainly not the only ones who feel this way.

The Rose Bowl never had a chance to select UGA. Due to some wacky BCS rule, the Sugar would needed to have consented to let UGA go to the Rose which NEVER, EVER, EVER would have happened.

Doesn't matter either way though as the Rose never asked but USC/UGA would never have happened even if the Rose had asked

Yeah..it wasnt like they just choose whoever they want. I think your sig pic is very appropriate. All these BCS games are retarded. Almost all the traditionally matched up conferences in bowl games made for great games. We need to either have a real playoff or go to the old system, but how it is now is just retarded.

I don't understand why the Rose Bowl has as much say as they do now. I don't care if they are the granddaddy of them all, lately it has been a bowl game of mismatches and boring television. If it wasn't for Texas then the Rose Bowl in the BCS era would be a joke.

I said I hate USC?

What's the point of this response especially four days after the fact? You think USC is the #1 team in the country right now?

And to add - Stanford was not a good football team this year. If I had to pick Miss St vs Stanford, I'd pick Miss St in a heartbeat. If I had to pick South Florida vs Stanford, I'd pick South Florida in a heartbeat. If I had to pick USC without their starting QB vs Stanford without their starting or 2nd string QB, I'd pick USC in a heartbeat. USC lost by 1 to a vastly inferior opponent at home. That's a huge stake in the heart of the "USC is the #1 team in the country" argument no matter how you spin it.

USC is a very good football team. Having watched them play several times, I would say they could beat anyone in the SEC this year and probably year after year. As much as I dislike them, CPC has built a very good program, albeit probably cheating a little, but.... Everyone thought Michigan was a horrible football team until they went 10-1 to finish the season beating UF in bowl game, which no one thought would happen.

USC could/would beat any other team ahead of them in the BCS poll, including LSU or OSU. IT would be very good games, but USC could beat them. I do not think Booty is a great QB, ala the Stanford game, which they still almost won, despite the 4 INTs as Raven mentioned. USC will be preseason #1 next year probably despite replacing the QB, as would no other team in the country, but when you have a roster full of high school all americans, where else should you be??

IF the Rose has matched up USC/UGA and the Sugar chose Illinois/UH, it would have profited nothing more than to confuse things more. USC/UGA would have been a great game. Who knows about the Illini/UH game, Illini might have won, but they are no UGA and may not have dominated UH, thus adding credence to the UHs of football should be considered to MNC or Illini win close one and same thing. UH wins it then maybe a split vote? With UGA pummelling UH now everyone knows they are not meant to compete at that level. THe USC/UGA winner would be right in same spot they are, kicking off top 5 preseason ranking for next year.

I said I hate USC?

Junior, did you even bother to read that JDB played with a broken finger on his throwing hand? Maybe that is why he threw 4 ints... What teams could we have played close, or beaten, with our 2nd string QB? SC finished 11-2 despite JDB missing several games. It must have been all that whining and sour grapes that I mistook for hatred. :rolleyes:

I think SC could beat ANY team in the country right now. They lost a game to a bad team, it happens. For SC it happens very rarely. How many games over the last 2 years have we lost where we were favorites??? Do you think that we could beat SC? SC beats either of the 2 teams if they played tonight.

I said I hate USC?

Junior, did you even bother to read that JDB played with a broken finger on his throwing hand? Maybe that is why he threw 4 ints... What teams could we have played close, or beaten, with our 2nd string QB? SC finished 11-2 despite JDB missing several games. It must have been all that whining and sour grapes that I mistook for hatred. :rolleyes:

I think SC could beat ANY team in the country right now. They lost a game to a bad team, it happens. For SC it happens very rarely. How many games over the last 2 years have we lost where we were favorites??? Do you think that we could beat SC? SC beats either of the 2 teams if they played tonight.

Finally a reply with some substance instead of you just being a dipshit. Junior? Do I care what JDB did with his glass finger?

USC lost to Stanford, and you're declaring them team of the year because they dismantled Illinois in the Rose Bowl. The team lost. Stanford was bad enough that USC should have been able to beat them despite having a decrepit QB. We almost beat South Florida with five turnovers. South Florida is a much better team than Stanford. Especially a Stanford Cardinal team that was playing their third string QB.

I said I hate USC?

Finally a reply with some substance instead of you just being a dipshit. Junior? Do I care what JDB did with his glass finger?

USC lost to Stanford, and you're declaring them team of the year because they dismantled Illinois in the Rose Bowl. The team lost. Stanford was bad enough that USC should have been able to beat them despite having a decrepit QB. We almost beat South Florida with five turnovers. South Florida is a much better team than Stanford. Especially a Stanford Cardinal team that was playing their third string QB.

Again Junior, SC is the best team playing right now. Certainly not because they beat a Ron Zook coached team; SC went 11-2 and one of the losses (7pt loss to then #5 Oregon) happened while JDB was out... ;) You aren't taking the distant learning Sociology course again are you? Reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your strong point... :rolleyes:

I said I hate USC?

Again Junior, SC is the best team playing right now. Certainly not because they beat a Ron Zook coached team; SC went 11-2 and one of the losses (7pt loss to then #5 Oregon) happened while JDB was out... ;) You aren't taking the distant learning Sociology course again are you? Reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your strong point... :rolleyes:

You haven't explained anything. USC isn't the best team right now because they beat a Ron Zook coached team. It's because they went 11-2 with their two losses being blamed on an injured QB. And now that their starting QB is back, they're the best team. Riiiighhhhhtt. Booty was a whopping 20-37 for 230 yards, 1 td, and 2 ints against a powerhouse Washington team. Booty had a stellar performance of 144 yards against that juggernaut Nebraska defense that gave up 73 points in one game. Booty had 129 yards against that killer Cal Bears team. So what game was it that made Booty so special? Oh wait, the Rose Bowl victory against an average Illinois team. But it's certainly not because they beat a Ron Zook team. They would have most certainly been in the NC and probably winning it if Booty hadn't gotten hurt. That dog-gone broken finger ruined USC's dream season, and there's proof because they are hands down the best team in the nation right now.

Are you vying for an ESPN gig?

yawn

Excellent rebuttal from the USC fan club. How's Pete's job hunt going?

Archived