USC vs Illinois

usc is a very good football team. that said, the media fellatio they receive every year is the only reason people hate them so much. i mean seriously, are you guys listening to how hard these douchebags are pumping them up every single play? it's outrageously unprofessional, and these two should not be allowed to announce usc games.

Here's the thing. USC is awfully good, don't get me wrong. But they don't deserve the wholesale fellating that they're getting from Brent Musberger. Illinois is just mediocre, and they're still getting to the quarterback.

usc is a very good football team. that said, the media fellatio they receive every year is the only reason people hate them so much. i mean seriously, are you guys listening to how hard these douchebags are pumping them up every single play? it's outrageously unprofessional, and these two should not be allowed to announce usc games.

Here's the thing. USC is awfully good, don't get me wrong. But they don't deserve the wholesale fellating that they're getting from Brent Musberger. Illinois is just mediocre, and they're still getting to the quarterback.

Both posted at the same time... kinda odd.

And I agree. This is absolutely ridiculous. USC has the hardest hitting linebacker, the best backup linebackers, the most intensity, the most explosive freshman, the best coach ever, the most celebrities at a game, the most disciplined defense, the most speed, the most physical freshman receiver...this team couldn't beat Stanford or Oregon St. STANFORD.

And Herbstreit just said this, "They (Illinois) are playing one of the best teams in the country, if not the best team in the country."

The best team in the country? Seriously?

USC is a great football team - possibly one of the greatest dynasties of all time. But I can't even fathom rooting for them to ever be successful because of two blowhards with microphones. This morning on Gameday, Corso and Herbstreit started joking around about how the Trojan mascot uniform was the only one they actually owned because they pick USC to win so often. If that's not an admittance to bias, I don't know what is.

As much as I hate their band for their horrible unsportsmanlike practices (they play Another One Bites the Dust when an opposing team's player is injured on the field), they sound phenomenal and their uniforms are sharp.

As much as I hate their band for their horrible unsportsmanlike practices (they play Another One Bites the Dust when an opposing team's player is injured on the field), they sound phenomenal and their uniforms are sharp.

Did the Illinois band play on TV?

Yeah they just showed them. They were botching Stairway to Heaven, it was very disappointing. Their band is performing about as well as their offense is so far.

Yeah they just showed them. They were botching Stairway to Heaven, it was very disappointing. Their band is performing about as well as their offense is so far.

I was just looking for another example of ESPN bias towards USC. Oh well.

Yeah I understand, but my question is, how can they say anything positive about Illinois? They've been talking about the great job Zook has done there and how the defense stepped up after giving up the early TD's, other than that, there isn't anything positive to say about the way they've been playing.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike USC as much as the next guy, but the announcers have to talk about something.

Yeah I understand, but my question is, how can they say anything positive about Illinois? They've been talking about the great job Zook has done there and how the defense stepped up after giving up the early TD's, other than that, there isn't anything positive to say about the way they've been playing.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike USC as much as the next guy, but the announcers have to talk about something.

True. But they could say, "Wow, what a big hit by Maualuga" instead of "Maualuga is the hardest hitting linebacker in the country, and we could see why after that sack."

They also slobbered all over USC's manland when they said USC was "one of the best teams in the country, if not THE best team in the country." Isn't USC 7th in the BCS rankings?

EDIT - That was an example right there. McKnight made an easy catch and breaks one tackle for about a fourteen yard gain. That happens plenty of times in every single football game. Why did Musdouche just say, "OOOoohhhh is he explosive!" Who the hell wants to listen to that?

True. But they could say, "Wow, what a big hit by Maualuga" instead of "Maualuga is the hardest hitting linebacker in the country, and we could see why after that sack."

They also slobbered all over USC's manland when they said USC was "one of the best teams in the country, if not THE best team in the country." Isn't USC 7th in the BCS rankings?

EDIT - That was an example right there. McKnight made an easy catch and breaks one tackle for about a fourteen yard gain. That happens plenty of times in every single football game. Why did Musdouche just say, "OOOoohhhh is he explosive!" Who the hell wants to listen to that?

I'll give you that they could word things differently. I'm not really denying that they love USC and have pretty much since 2003, they're already naming them #1 next year. But I would say your statement about them being 7th in the BCS is meaningless. We all know the BCS is worthless and I do believe that in a playoff system they'd have a shot at making it to the championship game.

I honestly don't think Illinois has any place playing in the Rose Bowl today. Missouri would have been a much better matchup and much more deserving of a BCS game.

I'll give you that they could word things differently. I'm not really denying that they love USC and have pretty much since 2003, they're already naming them #1 next year. But I would say your statement about them being 7th in the BCS is meaningless. We all know the BCS is worthless and I do believe that in a playoff system they'd have a shot at making it to the championship game.

I honestly don't think Illinois has any place playing in the Rose Bowl today. Missouri would have been a much better matchup and much more deserving of a BCS game.

I made no such statement as indicated by the question mark.

USC is by no means the best team in the country after showing that a group of Cardinal can shut the Trojan machine down. Herbstreit is a voter. If he's voting USC #1, I'd like to check his credentials. Is he truly qualified to vote? Does he have an adequate reason to be voting a two loss team #1 when there are two 1 loss teams and one undefeated team? If he didn't vote them #1, then why would he make statements like that? I think it's because these guys love to have fun when USC wins. It must be great because USC is usually matched against lesser opponents like Illinois, so it's easy to proclaim USC the greatest of all time.

Ok, Musberger just called USC tailback U. F*** you ABC. When does the Sugar Bowl start on FOX?

I made no such statement as indicated by the question mark.

USC is by no means the best team in the country after showing that a group of Cardinal can shut the Trojan machine down. Herbstreit is a voter. If he's voting USC #1, I'd like to check his credentials. Is he truly qualified to vote? Does he have an adequate reason to be voting a two loss team #1 when there are two 1 loss teams and one undefeated team? If he didn't vote them #1, then why would he make statements like that? I think it's because these guys love to have fun when USC wins. It must be great because USC is usually matched against lesser opponents like Illinois, so it's easy to proclaim USC the greatest of all time.

Yeah I'm getting pretty tired of the USC love now. Bottom line is, as long as the BCS is in place, we'll never know who the best team in the country is, hence the reason we all call it the MNC. I'm ready for the Sugar Bowl and some great SEC action!

ANOTHER FUMBLE?!?! I think they've given up...

I'm also getting tired with how they pretty much call the Rose Bowl the ultimate bowl game. I completely disagree. The greatness of a bowl game depends on its matchup, this one fails.

ANOTHER FUMBLE?!?! I think they've given up...

I'm also getting tired with how they pretty much call the Rose Bowl the ultimate bowl game. I completely disagree. The greatness of a bowl game depends on its matchup, this one fails.

Screw Rose Bowl and its reason to keep the tradition. Football fans were robbed this year.

Agreed. USC vs. Illinois was a terrible match-up from the beginning. Of course, the possibility of Illinois winning led me to watch it. That could have been exciting. But on paper, this game was terrible. Boise St vs. Oklahoma last year was the same way - we just got to be entertained by a thrilling adaptation of David and Goliath.

Screw Rose Bowl and its reason to keep the tradition. Football fans were robbed this year.

Did you watch the game?

Then you only have yourself to blame.

I chose not to watch the game because it was such a horrible match up and because the Rose Bowl is a disgrace.

Did you watch the game?

Then you only have yourself to blame.

I chose not to watch the game because it was such a horrible match up and because the Rose Bowl is a disgrace.

jeez, i wish i'd known the pchamp party line and i'd have just skipped it, too. i blame me.

This was a terrible game. Everyone knew it was going to be bad, and ABC and ESPN desperately tried to pump it up, but it was a dud, just as expected. I hope that people turned off their televisions and that the ratings were in the tank for this pathetic game.

The Rose Bowl had a chance to have what would have been an outstanding matchup, but when they picked Illinois over Georgia they blew it.

I have read several columns blasting the Rose Bowl Selection Committee, so we are certainly not the only ones who feel this way.

The PAC 10 doesn't want to face the top teir SEC teams. Its in their best interest to have USC the top program in their conference since they round robin their conference play.

Pac 10 and Big 10 are the two hold outs to the tournament system because they don't want to lose the pagentry of the Rose Bowl.

College football hasn't evolved but the fans have.

Archived