Saban tries again.....

AU alum

Saban targets Nebraska's Shawn Watson

Posted by Ian R. Rapoport January 20, 2008 9:41 PM

A heads up for a short story that will run in tomorrow's editions of The Birmingham News. The search for Alabama's offensive coordinator marches on... And now, coach Nick Saban has turned to an interesting candidate: Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson.

So, this guy now?

Watson has coached in Lincoln, Neb., for three years, the last two of which came as offensive coordinator. He also had that job at Colorado.

Anyway, here are the few first paragraphs of my story tomorrow:

TUSCALOOSA -- University of Alabama coach Nick Saban has added another name to his list of possible future offensive coordinators.

Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson has been approached by Saban, The News learned, with an interview possibly scheduled this week.

The offensive coordinator position became available Wednesday when Major Applewhite left to become the University of Texas running backs coach.

Also, now that the Green Bay Packers season is over, Saban is free to contact Packers quarterbacks coach Tom Clements, another person he attempted to hire last year.

Ian R. Rapoport

Nebraska went 5-7 last year. How good can he be? Also, what kind of chance will Saban have with Tom Clements? I thought he had already turned them down.

Nebraska wasn't all that great, but their defense was what the problem was. I don't remember the exact final, but they scored 50 on Colorado, and still lost by 10 or so.

If I were a coach, every time a position came open, I'd still contact the people I talked to before. You never know what has changed. Hell, I think that goes for any business.

Nebraska wasn't all that great, but their defense was what the problem was. I don't remember the exact final, but they scored 50 on Colorado, and still lost by 10 or so.

If I were a coach, every time a position came open, I'd still contact the people I talked to before. You never know what has changed. Hell, I think that goes for any business.

Yep. A lot can change in 10 months.

Nebraska was good on offense. Very good. But I've got to believe that it was really Callahan's offense. Didn't Callahan call the plays?

That doesn't mean that Watson isn't a great coach. I just thought it was worth pointing out.

Didn't our current OC turn us down once before? That being said, I think Saban has to go after newer up-and -coming talent for that position. Due to his management style (I'm trying to be nice), I just don't think someone proven who's been around a while would want anything to do with him. Unless, of course, they were unemployed (Pendry).

They don't get much younger than Applewhite. Even he couldn't survive under Saban's thumb for more than a year. Why else do you take a step down to get out of Tuscaloosa? However, I get your point. Saban will have to get someone who can be a yes man and do whatever he says. Anyone with a mind of his own won't put up with him for very long.

So it's Monday morning and no one is crawling off the I-56 exit to tuscalooser yet?

Don't guess the broken glass has been put down yet.

So it's Monday morning and no one is crawling off the I-56 exit to tuscalooser yet?

Don't guess the broken glass has been put down yet.

it's also been to cold to crawl naked and if they can't crawl naked over broken glass, then they aren't really right for bammertown

Nebraska went 5-7 last year. How good can he be? Also, what kind of chance will Saban have with Tom Clements? I thought he had already turned them down.

Pitt was 5-7 last year. how good can Rhoades be? a team's record isn't ALWAYS indicative of a coordinator's ability. in some cases, yes. but not always. also, Nebraska's defense was dead last in the Big12 giving up 5722 yards (477 YPG). their offense rushed for 1733 yards and passed for 3886. they scored 12 more TDs than Alabama and averaging 468 YPG, where we're averaging 373. Nebraska had the #2 pass offense in the Big12. the defensive stats for the Big12 aren't all that far off from SEC defense statistics either. i think its pretty clear that offense wasn't part of Nebraska's problem last season.

Pitt was 5-7 last year. how good can Rhoades be? a team's record isn't ALWAYS indicative of a coordinator's ability. in some cases, yes. but not always. also, Nebraska's defense was dead last in the Big12 giving up 5722 yards (477 YPG). their offense rushed for 1733 yards and passed for 3886. they scored 12 more TDs than Alabama and averaging 468 YPG, where we're averaging 373. Nebraska had the #2 pass offense in the Big12. the defensive stats for the Big12 aren't all that far off from SEC defense statistics either. i think its pretty clear that offense wasn't part of Nebraska's problem last season.

a lot of the Aggie fans are flipping out about having a couple of former Nebraska assts hired on their new staff. I think they picked up the RB coach and the DL coach from there. i see what you're saying. this OC from NU could very well be legit.

Pitt was #5 in TOTAL DEFENSE last season.

go look and see how many times Pitts offense turned the ball over and tell me you can win games like that.

Also.....like has been stated before, that was Callahan's offense, not the OC's...now, the OC might've called the plays I'm not real sure...but, it's a really good bet that it was Callahan's plays and he probably did A Lot of overturning the OC's calls. Anyway, it could turn out to be a good hire... As for CPR's defense they would've been #1 in the nation if the offense would've been able to do Something with the ball, except for turning it over....I read where they were averaging around 3 turnovers a Game on offense.

a lot of the Aggie fans are flipping out about having a couple of former Nebraska assts hired on their new staff. I think they picked up the RB coach and the DL coach from there. i see what you're saying. this OC from NU could very well be legit.

go look and see how many times Pitts offense turned the ball over and tell me you can win games like that.

and that's exactly my point. if i were an aTm fan i would be flipping out if my team hired Nebraska's DL coach....because Nebraska's D sucks. you further prove my point by pointing out that Pitt was #5 in total defense last season, and that the Pitt offense is stagnant. Pitt's defense can be golden but if their offense can't put points on the board, of course they will lose games. Nebraska can get into a slugfest every game but when their D is going to lay down and let the other team score at will, you're not going to win many games that way either. if this guy is hired, we won't really know how good he will be until we see some games. but i don't think it would be a bad hire if he could accomplish some of the things at Alabama that he did at Nebraska.

and that's exactly my point. if i were an aTm fan i would be flipping out if my team hired Nebraska's DL coach....because Nebraska's D sucks. you further prove my point by pointing out that Pitt was #5 in total defense last season, and that the Pitt offense is stagnant. Pitt's defense can be golden but if their offense can't put points on the board, of course they will lose games. Nebraska can get into a slugfest every game but when their D is going to lay down and let the other team score at will, you're not going to win many games that way either. if this guy is hired, we won't really know how good he will be until we see some games. but i don't think it would be a bad hire if he could accomplish some of the things at Alabama that he did at Nebraska.

the reason, supposedly, the DL at NU sucked was because they graduated everyone off --- Buddy Wyatt is supposedly a great coach --- dont know a lot about him personally

Didn't our current OC turn us down once before?

I do not recall Franklin turning us down before. However, Rhoads (DC) did.

Thanks. That's actually what I meant...getting too old to type...

B)

Why do have that picture in honor of Stanley McClover in your sig? B)

:au::homer:

rejected

There has been a new development in Alabama's search to hire an offensive coordinator. According to the Lincoln Journal Star, coach Nick Saban wanted Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson to fly into Tuscaloosa for an interview, perhaps as early as today. Turns out, Watson wasn't interested.

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2008/01/report...down_inter.html

rejected

There has been a new development in Alabama's search to hire an offensive coordinator. According to the Lincoln Journal Star, coach Nick Saban wanted Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson to fly into Tuscaloosa for an interview, perhaps as early as today. Turns out, Watson wasn't interested.

http://blog.al.com/rapsheet/2008/01/report...down_inter.html

They didn't want him anyway. Have you seen Nebraska's record last year? :P

B)

I have no idea what you are talking about. I know who Stanley McClover is, but that's all.

bammer will need some of the money they have spent on recruits,their familys and

HS coaches to sweeten the pot for an OC. :poke:

B)

I have no idea what you are talking about. I know who Stanley McClover is, but that's all.

Do you remember his nickname? Know this and you'll have the answer.

bammer will need some of the money they have spent on recruits,their familys and

HS coaches to sweeten the pot for an OC. :poke:

i guess since AU got Franklin and Rhoades they couldn't afford to pay Enrique Davis the going rate and thats why he decomitted. what are you guys paying McClain, btw?

B)

Do you remember his nickname? Know this and you'll have the answer.

Haha, I never knew his nickname. I was a bit young when he was playing. That is a cool nickname to have. It just rolls off the tongue... Kieth Brown! I LIKES IT. ;)

Archived