Did Ryan Perrilloux walk off the LSU football team?

SouthLink02

http://www.fanblogs.com/lsu/007501.php

There's quite a bit of smoke coming from several LSU message boards indicating that QB Ryan Perrilloux has left the Tigers football team.

While I have to urge a HUGE grain of salt, the reports go something like this....

Due to an ongoing dispute between Perrilloux's mother and LSU -- potentially stemming from Ryan's mother trying to shake down the school -- the projected starting quarterback has cleaned out his locker and left the team. Perrilloux reportedly missed a team meeting this week, but his absence is clouded by reports that Perrilloux was attending his father's funeral.

The only aspect that does not seem to be in dispute is that Ryan Perrilloux has cleaned out his locker.

WDSU-TV in New Orleans is reporting the rumors that Perrilloux quit the team, but -- so far -- there's no comment from Perrilloux or the Tigers.

This could be exactly what the rumors say it is, or it could be a confused kid who just lost his father acting out.

Either way, I think we're nearing some kind of school record on off-the-field headlines.

UPDATE

I'm hearing a little more backstory now (which is starting to make this rumor seem more credible, but -- again -- I cannot confirm just yet because no one will comment officially)...

Apparently Perrilloux and the coaching staff have an understanding about certain things that QB must do to stay in LSU's good graces. This all stems from his previous track record. Allegedly broke this agreement 2-3 times in the last two weeks and was threatened with suspension or outright suspended from the team. It is believed that one of the issues was class attendance, missing a team appointment and the other was related to him going somewhere he wasn't supposed to be. So... the coaches met with Perrilloux and the suspension talk came up. This conversation apparently led to Perrilloux's mother threatening to pull the QB off the team. Very shortly thereafter, Perrilloux's father left passed away and the QB has not been with the team on campus since then.

That's the update. Still looking for some confirmations, although I understand that everyone at LSU is hesitant to say anything about the situation given the emotions of all involved as well as Perrilloux history of brush-ups with the coaching staff. There may not be an officially comment until Les Miles decides what that comment will be.

Posted by Kevin Donahue

LSU will be better for losing him if it's true.

Why do you say this?

I work with a huge LSU fan and he was saying something about this to me earlier in the week. I think he said he thought Perriloux was suspended on Tues or Wed and then on Thurs he said, he's not suspended, he's off the team. And he was the one who made the decision.

If this is true, how stupid is this kid? He's got the world handed to him and he does everything he can to try to screw it up.

LSU will be better for losing him if it's true.

Not for next year

RP had some experience and a boat-load of talent heading into this upcoming year

It's a big loss IF TRUE....nothing confirmed at this point

It might be good for us if he's not there. He showed some talent this year, and would have been a good QB the next couple of years.

If it is true that he is gone, that would be a large blow to LSU. I don't think they have anyone else w/experience. This means that they go from an athletic, talented QB to starting all over. Not to wish LSU bad luck, but this helps open the SEC West for 2009.

BAMAPERRY makes an appearance, and continues to be an idiot.

BAMAPERRY said:

posted on February 17, 2008 12:29 PM — 65.0.153.155 — link — abuse?

LSU was gonna suck next year anyway. Losing Perrilloux may actually help them turn a sure 7 loss season into a 5 loss season. Maybe.

BAMAPERRY makes an appearance, and continues to be an idiot.

BAMAPERRY said:

posted on February 17, 2008 12:29 PM — 65.0.153.155 — link — abuse?

LSU was gonna suck next year anyway. Losing Perrilloux may actually help them turn a sure 7 loss season into a 5 loss season. Maybe.

I was coming here to post that EXACT SAME THING

:roflol:

BP is a moron, I hope he never breeds. LSU is going to hurt due to this because having an experienced qb in the SEC helps a lot.

Sure, he is a talented kid, but sometimes the off the field problems aren't worth it, and they start to wear on people. There is a point where the team will get tired of you if you always get in trouble.

Sort of related/unrelated...whatever. I heard our local sports talk guy talking about UT's punter, (about the 27th Colquitt punting for Tenn.) getting a DUI and leaving the scene this weekend. Said it was the latest is several alcohol related incidents for this kid and a Judge had already given him a year's probation.

I'm all about discipline and second chances but at some point, you have to kick em' to the curb and move on with these kids.

Sure, he is a talented kid, but sometimes the off the field problems aren't worth it, and they start to wear on people. There is a point where the team will get tired of you if you always get in trouble.

You're right my friend. I look at it as addition by subtraction........

Seems to me that the LSU coaching staff gave this kid plenty of rope, and he did exactly what everyone knew would probably happen...

Ryan Perrilloux may be a great athletic talent, but I agree that LSU will be better off in the long run with this guy off the team. How many times have we seen this type of situation in college football? It seems that in almost every instance, the player in question lets his team down by getting back into more trouble. LSU may be hit in the QB spot, but at least they don't have to deal with all the off-field drama from a kid who doesn't seem to understand that athletic ability and free education are truly gifts. He'll hopefully turn 30 one day and realize how bad he's screwed up. BTW, what does a 4 year education cost these days anyway?

From a football perspective, I'm sorry. There's no way to spin this as a positive for LSU. RP was one of the most talented players on the team. He's also the only QB with any experience, and he's got extensive, championship experience. For all the trouble off-field, I never heard a report that he was a bad teammate, uncoachable, or anything of the like. If true, this is a big time, on-field loss for LSU this year (and possibly next).

I do buy that it could have a positive effect on team focus, chemistry, discipline, etc. Those are exceedingly important things, but I don't think one player's impropriety is enough to pollute all the water (so to speak). Example: RP was on the team last year. Lawrence Phillips was a key cog for a champ in Nebraska. Leonard Little was big-time for a champ at UT. I think having guys like that is a risky proposition because two or three can throw your whole team off, but one guy usually isn't enough in football. That's basically the entire concept behind the New England Patriots for all these years. Great team concept. Great discipline. Add a question mark and he'll comply with the others as long as he doesn't have "associates" in his bad behavior.

My LSU co-worker is now saying he's suspended for missing classes and team meetings. I'm not really sure what to believe, but apparently something has happened. He said it's confirmed that he's suspended. He's got a good friend in the media division of their athletic dept and usually goes through him for info. He said Miles won't comment on the suspension yet. So, take that for what it's worth.

From a football perspective, I'm sorry. There's no way to spin this as a positive for LSU. RP was one of the most talented players on the team. He's also the only QB with any experience, and he's got extensive, championship experience. For all the trouble off-field, I never heard a report that he was a bad teammate, uncoachable, or anything of the like. If true, this is a big time, on-field loss for LSU this year (and possibly next).

I do buy that it could have a positive effect on team focus, chemistry, discipline, etc. Those are exceedingly important things, but I don't think one player's impropriety is enough to pollute all the water (so to speak). Example: RP was on the team last year. Lawrence Phillips was a key cog for a champ in Nebraska. Leonard Little was big-time for a champ at UT. I think having guys like that is a risky proposition because two or three can throw your whole team off, but one guy usually isn't enough in football. That's basically the entire concept behind the New England Patriots for all these years. Great team concept. Great discipline. Add a question mark and he'll comply with the others as long as he doesn't have "associates" in his bad behavior.

It could go either way: (1) major loss of a talented player, 1st string QB, leader on the field, blah blah; or (2) good riddance of what appeared to be a chronic "problem child." I tend to view it as the latter. From the moment this guy was recruited, he has been a distraction to the team with his off the field circumstances. It is a shame because he sure looks like a talented player. Too bad he doesn't seem to get the whole team concept thang. $1M body & a 10-cent head. :no:

Is there any update on this deal with his mother? What kind of crap is that? The best, fifth year QB in the country isn't worth that. RP seemed to be a special talent, but I see a thirty year old, unemployed man standing on the street corner "keeping it real wit' my homies" in his future if he stays on this path.

Is there any update on this deal with his mother? What kind of crap is that? The best, fifth year QB in the country isn't worth that. RP seemed to be a special talent, but I see a thirty year old, unemployed man standing on the street corner "keeping it real wit' my homies" in his future if he stays on this path.

Why do you hate homies?

Archived