University Boulevard development

WinCrimson

LINK

Here's what a BOL poster working for an agency involved had to say about the project...

This project is going to be AWESOME. I work for an agency who was hired to do the early concepting and marketing for it's advertising campaign, so we met with Dr. Witt, the City Council, and EVERYONE is on board. We had some kick-ass football related marketing that I just couldn't WAIT to show you guys, but not really sure if we've retained the advertising business past the early stages, because things quieted down so much in the off-season.

The only things going away are Stadium apartments, the Alabama Book Store (no new news here), and the Haleil (sp?) Foundation. Basically it runs from Univ. to the block Rama Jama's, which will remained untouched.

Gallette's is untouched. Dr. Witt stated that he understands Gallette's is a gameday tradition and it will forever remain untouched. Which is good, because I would have probably pulled an Ike Turner on him. (g)

The bottom-level retail is meant to attract sellers like Barnes and Noble and nice chain restaurants. The housing is meant to be not elite but very nice and have a hotel feel to it. There will also be 12th-floor penthouse-quality rooms available for purchase, which should be very, very nice.

It will be big for Tuscaloosa and big for UA.

This thing has the potential to be the finest football-related real estate project ever built. It will be 12 stories (the city hight limitations were lifted), and will be the first of it's kind, with imitations possibly to follow in places like South Bend and all over the country. It is RIGHT NEXT to BDS, so the location is absolutely unbeatable. And it's part of Dr. Witt's plan to move our campus forward and make it more attractive to prospective students.

I'll take Momma G's and The supper club as great real estate sites anyday over this crap. Those old hole in the walls are what makes campuses unique. All this development Star Bucks stuff can be seen in just about every metro area.One day you won't even recognize these campuses anymore. T town and Auburn have both losts lots of cool places in the past 10 years. When I go to a campus I don't want to be visiting the Summit or Eastchase.

I know what you're saying. Though the Stadium Apartments are an eyesore, the Alabama Bookstore is a landmark.

I'm usually an anti-commercialization person, but I can see how much $$$ this is going to bring into the city and school. I'm for it.

And what is the school going to do with the extra money? Give more to the football program to make a few more seats? Give it to the players? Nothing else is new. You aren't gonna see the money go towards anything for yourself. So why lose on stuff you love?

Anyways - what is this that you speak of? Are they apartments or hotels? And who would live there?

And what is the school going to do with the extra money?

Continue to build and expand. The university is prepared to buy Bryce Hospital and continue to grow. Dr. Witt's goal is to have 30k students in several years... This place has changed so much over the last 5 years. Ex: On average, we have a new building opening up every 90 days.

So why lose on stuff you love?

I don't love Stadium Apartments. It wouldn't hurt me to see them torn down if this project wasn't coming. The bookstore is another story but I'll trade it for the revenue. Even if it doesn't go directly to me, I'm glad to see my school make money and expand.

Anyways - what is this that you speak of? Are they apartments or hotels? And who would live there?

They're condos. No hotel. Who would want to live there? Most people who bought units at The Legends, another development near the stadium, only stay there for game weekends. I have a few friends that are students that live there, too.

Anyone can live there. Although, for $300-400k, I'd much rather live in a house than a glorified apartment. I realize that the location is amazing, but they're way too cramped for me. They almost have the feel of being in a hotel.

Sweet Merciful Crap!!!

Who is buying all of these things?! How does a REAL middle class family send a child to college these days? I lived in Campus Trailer Court and some dump efficiency apartment on West Glenn. Neither my parents nor I were in debt when I graduated. Nowadays, parents want to get in a pissing contest with their kid's friend's parents and see who can spoil their kid the most. No wonder there is a mortgage crisis.

I'd rather go to the SaniFlush, Hart's Fried Chicken and James Brown family restaurant in Opelika than spend $6 on a cup of stinkin' coffee in some la-te-da shop.

I will now climb down from my soapbox and you may continue your civil discussion.

:lol:

I believe that Gene Stallings has an interest in this development. If not, he DOES have some interest in some of the development of this kind going on down there. Hey, there's a lot of money out there and the Bammers are just crazy enough to want to be next door to their infamous Tide. ;)

Sweet Merciful Crap!!!

Who is buying all of these things?! How does a REAL middle class family send a child to college these days?

Me!!! I sent three girls thru college, paid for three weddings, etc. All the time I had a long term goal to have a place in Auburn to go to, a place to enjoy not only games but just to relax and enjoy a place I love all year round. I saved money for this goal and looked at condos for years but never found the right one. I didn't want to just be somewhere in Auburn but in a location as close as possible to campus so I could walk just around anywhere

I found the perfect place for me last October. We were the first ones to move into Legends of Magnolia right across the street from Ramsey Hall and believe me we have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. Like A-Day, we not only went to that but to the men's baseball game and women's softball game the same day. We are one block from toomers Corner. I sit on my balcony and see the stadium and jubotron in one direction and Toomers/Samford Hall in the other.

Plus I think it is a great investment, one I can profit from while I enjoy it. Set your goals, save your money and you can reach a dream one day too.

Sweet Merciful Crap!!!

Who is buying all of these things?! How does a REAL middle class family send a child to college these days? I lived in Campus Trailer Court and some dump efficiency apartment on West Glenn. Neither my parents nor I were in debt when I graduated. Nowadays, parents want to get in a pissing contest with their kid's friend's parents and see who can spoil their kid the most. No wonder there is a mortgage crisis.

I'd rather go to the SaniFlush, Hart's Fried Chicken and James Brown family restaurant in Opelika than spend $6 on a cup of stinkin' coffee in some la-te-da shop.

I will now climb down from my soapbox and you may continue your civil discussion.

Yeah, like ProudTiger said, if you can plan ahead and then BUY something when your kid goes to Auburn, then you can at least sell it and get some of your money back later, instead of paying rent for 4+ years. That is the way to go. With condos, they may even go UP in price so you make money while your kid lives there for 4 years.

As far as the condos near AU campus, they are high-dollar places. One of the properties right down the street from Anders bookstore GIVES you a free CAR if you buy the condo. Yeah......they give you.....a CAR.....not a set of coasters......not a basket of soap and toilet paper.....a CAR, if you buy one.

A far cry from the Wire Road/Webster Road days when the washing machine hitting spin cycle would knock the empty beer bottles off the coffee table in your trailer.

Sweet Merciful Crap!!!

Yeah, like ProudTiger said, if you can plan ahead and then BUY something when your kid goes to Auburn, then you can at least sell it and get some of your money back later, instead of paying rent for 4+ years. That is the way to go. With condos, they may even go UP in price so you make money while your kid lives there for 4 years.

As far as the condos near AU campus, they are high-dollar places. One of the properties right down the street from Anders bookstore GIVES you a free CAR if you buy the condo. Yeah......they give you.....a CAR.....not a set of coasters......not a basket of soap and toilet paper.....a CAR, if you buy one.

A far cry from the Wire Road/Webster Road days when the washing machine hitting spin cycle would knock the empty beer bottles off the coffee table in your trailer.

Don't take the car. Take the furniture package. Much better deal and you move in ready to go without all the hassle of doing it yourself. Most of the condos near campus have this option but don't advertise it as much.

I'll take Momma G's and The supper club as great real estate sites anyday over this crap. Those old hole in the walls are what makes campuses unique. All this development Star Bucks stuff can be seen in just about every metro area.One day you won't even recognize these campuses anymore. T town and Auburn have both losts lots of cool places in the past 10 years. When I go to a campus I don't want to be visiting the Summit or Eastchase.

you know, Momma G's and Supper Club were new once to Auburn. Hell when my parents were in school at Auburn in the early 70's, Momma Goldberg's didn't exist and The Supper Club was a restaurant. That's how communities grow. That's how cites get money for expansion. You must be a Birmingham City Council fans that is too stubborn to grow because it doesn't benefit your pocket book!

Sweet Merciful Crap!!!

If that was you getting on your soapbox, move over. I feel exactly the same way.

you know, Momma G's and Supper Club were new once to Auburn. Hell when my parents were in school at Auburn in the early 70's, Momma Goldberg's didn't exist and The Supper Club was a restaurant. That's how communities grow. That's how cites get money for expansion. You must be a Birmingham City Council fans that is too stubborn to grow because it doesn't benefit your pocket book!

Trust me, I was there in the 70's. The Supper Club did serve pizzas, but it was NOT a restaurant.

Sweet Merciful Crap!!!

With condos, they may even go UP in price so you make money while your kid lives there for 4 years.

That's what my parents said.

They didn't want to pay rent in a town that we're going to be coming for the rest of our lives. Rent sends your money down the drain while a house or condo is an investment in the place you love, be it Tuscaloosa or Auburn.

That's what my parents said.

They didn't want to pay rent in a town that we're going to be coming for the rest of our lives. Rent sends your money down the drain while a house or condo is an investment in the place you love, be it Tuscaloosa or Auburn.

Your parents are absolutely right. It's a mystery to me why people can't figure that out.

My parents did the same thing with my place at Edge West. They put nothing down, used the rent from my roomates and what I would have paid for rent to pay the mortgage, and then turned around and sold the condo at twice what they bought it for. So I essentially lived rent free and they made money even after taking out taxes, closing costs, etc. Plus you can write off a lot of the costs(furnishings, etc) as renters expenses.

I do think the high end luxury gameday/retirement condo market in Auburn has saturated already. Browncrest (old Roosters), Legends, Tiger Suites and several other projects have struggled to sell units and two other projects on Glenn folded after they put up billboards and tore down cool older houses.

My parents did the same thing with my place at Edge West. They put nothing down, used the rent from my roomates and what I would have paid for rent to pay the mortgage, and then turned around and sold the condo at twice what they bought it for. So I essentially lived rent free and they made money even after taking out taxes, closing costs, etc. Plus you can write off a lot of the costs(furnishings, etc) as renters expenses.

I do think the high end luxury gameday/retirement condo market in Auburn has saturated already. Browncrest (old Roosters), Legends, Tiger Suites and several other projects have struggled to sell units and two other projects on Glenn folded after they put up billboards and tore down cool older houses.

Man i need to go to Auburn, i haven't been in a couple of years.

Can't speak for others but I'm curious why you say Legends is struggling when it is not even totally complete and they have just now opened an on-site sales office. They also have a great first floor tenant in the new Tiger Rags. Plus the University itself now owns one. It will forevermore be the premium condo site in Auburn. Nothing even comparable can ever be so close to Toomers Corner.

April 12 Update FWIW---the Legends sales office told me yeaterday they had sold another one of the premium units (facing Magnolia) this week.

Archived