Here's my question in the face of the heady counterterrorist news...

The CIA claims that Al Queda is now on the run.

So here's the question that any reflective American should ask, or at least those who fear the permanent expansion of government power. If trends continue, and we wake up one morning to find that a Predator has taken out Bin Laden and company, what happens to the web of security precautions and legislation that were enacted to counter this specific threat? Will we continue to take off our shoes at airports, even when the threat becomes a hair above non-existent?

Will the government repeal its broad surveillance powers? Will the legal standards as to what constitutes legitimate information gathering be restored? Will we continue moving towards a national identity card? If you open a bank account using cash, will the bank still have a legal duty to ask where you got the money? Will people still get imprisoned without trial, without benefit of habeas corpus for years?

Just curious. In times of national emergency, a retrenchment of civil rights should be reasonably expected in order to safeguard the country. But what happens when a threat no longer appears imminent? Will we just allow these changes to remain permanent? Or what becomes our criteria for return to normalcy?

I think if anyone believes that we'll recover any freedoms we lost during this, they are living in Wonderland having tea with the Mad Hatter.

I think if anyone believes that we'll recover any freedoms we lost during this, they are living in Wonderland having tea with the Mad Hatter.

Exactly. Remember that, in 1984, Oceania was perpetually at war with somebody, all to justify the overarching surveillance society. The United States is not 1984. But it doesn't take a great leap of imagination to see the slippery slope.

If trends continue, and we wake up one morning to find that a Predator has taken out Bin Laden and company, what happens to the web of security precautions and legislation that were enacted to counter this specific threat? Will we continue to take off our shoes at airports, even when the threat becomes a hair above non-existent?

No.

Will the government repeal its broad surveillance powers?

No.

Will the legal standards as to what constitutes legitimate information gathering be restored?

No.

Will we continue moving towards a national identity card? If you open a bank account using cash, will the bank still have a legal duty to ask where you got the money?

Yes and yes.

Will people still get imprisoned without trial, without benefit of habeas corpus for years?

Most definitely!

Just curious. In times of national emergency, a retrenchment of civil rights should be reasonably expected in order to safeguard the country. But what happens when a threat no longer appears imminent? Will we just allow these changes to remain permanent? Or what becomes our criteria for return to normalcy?

These changes are here to stay. This is why I was adamantly opposed to the creation of DHS.

The CIA claims that Al Queda is now on the run.

So here's the question that any reflective American should ask, or at least those who fear the permanent expansion of government power. If trends continue, and we wake up one morning to find that a Predator has taken out Bin Laden and company,

Who says we didnt take him out 5 years ago or sometime since? :blink: You know, Hitler was right about one thing, to unite a people, you have to give them an enemy. If that enemy dies too quickly, then you are back to square one. Having your enemy around for a while could be quite productive politically over the longhaul.

I don't know about all this "conspiracy" talk, but I agree that the laws in place will be here to stay. The democrats will say one thing, but they know it will be around for years to come. They need it as much as Bush said he needed it.

Federalist Party 2012. :)

Archived