Cheney makes West Virginia incest joke

RunInRed

What an idiot...I wonder if this comment will resurface come November?

----------------------------------

Did Dick Cheney just hand West Virginia to the Democrats, or what?

'Cause his remark at the National Press Club today is bound to rub plenty of folks in the Mountain State the wrong way, especially those who are sick and tired of hearing West Virginia incest jokes. Already, members of the West Virginia congressional delegation - Republicans and Democrats alike - are ticked off.

Cheney was at the Press Club to congratulate this year's winners of the Gerald R. Ford Journalism Prize for Distinguished Reporting on the Presidency. During a question-and-answer session toward the end of the luncheon, someone asked the vice president about his wife Lynne Cheney's revelation on MSNBC last year that "Dick and Barack Obama are eighth cousins."

The questioner jokingly asked the vice president if he and Obama were going to have a family reunion, to which Cheney replied he would "have no objections" though he said he doubted Obama would want one - "certainly not before November."

Then came the offensive punch line. Cheney explained that during the course of researching his family lineage for Lynne's memoir "Blue Skies, No Fences" last year, he learned there were Cheneys on both his father's and his mother's side of the family. There was a Richard Cheney on his mother's side, the vice president said.

"So I had Cheneys on both sides of the family and we don't even live in West Virginia," Cheney quipped.

West Virginia politicians aren't laughing at Cheney's little joke, including his fellow Republican, Rep. Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.).

"This is exactly the type of stereotyping that we don't need from our elected officials," Capito tells the Sleuth. "It's disrespectful, and it's certainly not funny. The Vice President should know better than to make a remark like this one. We all work hard to further West Virginia's good name, only to have comments like this tarnish it. As a proud state, I can say we are disappointed."

Rep. Nick Rahall, a 16-term Democratic congressman from West Virginia, was equally as irate. "We may owe the vice president a debt of gratitude for yet another great West Virginia slogan: Dick Cheney is not from here," Rahall told us.

UPDATE: Vice President Dick Cheney has apologized through his spokeswoman for making an offhand joke during a speech at the National Press Club Monday stereotyping West Virginia as a state prone to incest.

Cheney spokeswoman Lea Anne McBride tells us, "The Vice President's offhand comment was not meant to hurt anyone. On reflection, he concluded that it was an inappropriate attempt at humor that he should not have made. The Vice President apologizes to the people of West Virginia for the inappropriate remark."

Cheney's statement came after West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin added his voice to the chorus of outrage from Mountain State politicians and demanded an apology from the veep.

"I truly cannot believe that any vice president of the United States, regardless of their political affiliation, would make such a derogatory statement about my state or any state for that matter," Machin said in a statement. "West Virginia is home to some of the most patriotic people in the nation and our sons and daughters have answered the call to duty every time a president has needed their service. They deserve better from the vice president, and so I would simply ask for his apology."

And this from Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.): "West Virginians are the hardest working, most decent people I know. Anyone who spends time with them gets it. The Vice President should be more careful about cheap shots aimed at the very people who elected him."

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/sleuth/2008..._joke_irks.html

Everybody makes WV incest jokes. Alabama one's too. It's a good thing Cheney is not running again, huh?

Yeah, Cheney was the first to crack jokes on WV, wasn't he?

http://www.state.wv.us/WVSCA/docs/fall07/33324.htm

http://dailymail.com/News/200802290377

Abercrombie & Fitch shirt angers West Virginians

Shirt spoofs West Virginia stereotype as a haven for incest

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4594392/

040324_abercrombiefitch_vmed_12p.widec.jpg

What state has the most cases of INCEST?

http://www.sodahead.com/question/3429/?page=1#post_858412

tellmeajoke.com presents west virginia incest joke

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2058504069639720445

WV - Uncle accused of incest

http://sadlynormal.wordpress.com/2006/10/2...used-of-incest/

Casting Notice Elicits Uproar

March 27, 2008

By Daniel Lehman

Would you attend a casting call looking for "inbred types"? What if a film asked for "deformed" or "unusual" people? Does that describe you? Would you still show up if you read that "regular-looking" people need not apply?

On Feb. 26, Pittsburgh-based casting director Donna Belajac was fired from the production of Shelter, a supernatural horror thriller starring Julianne Moore and Jonathan Rhys Meyers, after her casting call for background actors was deemed offensive by the film's producers and others. The casting notice, published in a news release and posted on Donna Belajac Casting's website, asked for "men and women of all races, 18 or older...including an albino-like girl and deformed people -- to depict West Virginia mountain people." The notice sought "unusual body shapes, even physical abnormalities as long as there is normal mobility.... 'Regular-looking' children should not attend this open call."

The casting notice provoked seething reactions from many leading West Virginians, including Joe Manchin, Robert Byrd, and the president of the United Mine Workers of America, Cecil Roberts, who asked The Associated Press, "Why must it be automatically assumed...that those who live in the hills and hollows of places like West Virginia are all afflicted with physical abnormalities?"

In response to the uproar, Belajac seemed to make things worse in a Feb. 26 interview with the The Tribune-Review Publishing Co.. "It's the way it was described in the script," she said. "Some of these 'holler' people -- because they are insular and clannish, and they don't leave their area -- there is literally inbreeding, and the people there often have a different kind of look. That's what we're trying to get."

http://www.backstage.com/bso/news_reviews/...t_id=1003781426

Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.) "He hurt our feelings! Why would he say those bad things. Why Robert Byrd, former Grand Wizzard of the KKK is supporting Obama. We have gotten past all that." "That is unless its a Republican!"

Yeah, Cheney was the first to crack jokes on WV, wasn't he?

http://www.state.wv.us/WVSCA/docs/fall07/33324.htm

http://dailymail.com/News/200802290377

Abercrombie & Fitch shirt angers West Virginians

Shirt spoofs West Virginia stereotype as a haven for incest

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4594392/

040324_abercrombiefitch_vmed_12p.widec.jpg

What state has the most cases of INCEST?

http://www.sodahead.com/question/3429/?page=1#post_858412

tellmeajoke.com presents west virginia incest joke

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2058504069639720445

WV - Uncle accused of incest

http://sadlynormal.wordpress.com/2006/10/2...used-of-incest/

Casting Notice Elicits Uproar

March 27, 2008

By Daniel Lehman

Would you attend a casting call looking for "inbred types"? What if a film asked for "deformed" or "unusual" people? Does that describe you? Would you still show up if you read that "regular-looking" people need not apply?

On Feb. 26, Pittsburgh-based casting director Donna Belajac was fired from the production of Shelter, a supernatural horror thriller starring Julianne Moore and Jonathan Rhys Meyers, after her casting call for background actors was deemed offensive by the film's producers and others. The casting notice, published in a news release and posted on Donna Belajac Casting's website, asked for "men and women of all races, 18 or older...including an albino-like girl and deformed people -- to depict West Virginia mountain people." The notice sought "unusual body shapes, even physical abnormalities as long as there is normal mobility.... 'Regular-looking' children should not attend this open call."

The casting notice provoked seething reactions from many leading West Virginians, including Joe Manchin, Robert Byrd, and the president of the United Mine Workers of America, Cecil Roberts, who asked The Associated Press, "Why must it be automatically assumed...that those who live in the hills and hollows of places like West Virginia are all afflicted with physical abnormalities?"

In response to the uproar, Belajac seemed to make things worse in a Feb. 26 interview with the The Tribune-Review Publishing Co.. "It's the way it was described in the script," she said. "Some of these 'holler' people -- because they are insular and clannish, and they don't leave their area -- there is literally inbreeding, and the people there often have a different kind of look. That's what we're trying to get."

http://www.backstage.com/bso/news_reviews/...t_id=1003781426

Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D-W.Va.) "He hurt our feelings! Why would he say those bad things. Why Robert Byrd, former Grand Wizzard of the KKK is supporting Obama. We have gotten past all that." "That is unless its a Republican!"

Wow. You sure went to a lot of trouble to defend Cheney. :blink:

No defense of Cheney. Just pointing out the obvious to Obama Boy.

So Cheney makes a statement backed by some truth and you get upset, but Wright hurls an insult at 70% of the population and shames another 15%, and you're ok with it. Interesting.

I don't think any of your links were to elected officials. But, you're probably right, there's nothing wrong with what he said, and, it WAS considerate of him to send his spokeswoman out to apologize.

So Cheney makes a statement backed by some truth and you get upset, but Wright hurls an insult at 70% of the population and shames another 15%, and you're ok with it. Interesting.

Dude, is Wright the new Bill Clinton? I mean, is everything, no matter how unrelated, going to get a "Rev. Wright" response from you guys?

I don't think any of your links were to elected officials. (You are right none of the links were to elected officials.)

But, you're probably right, (Where exactly did I say that?) there's nothing wrong with what he said, and, it WAS considerate of him to send his spokeswoman out to apologize.

Isn't Obama related to Cheney? Must be in the genes - impaired judgment. :thumbsup:

Speaking of apologies, has Robert Byrd ever apologized for being the grand wizzard in WV? And I only ask since Byrd seems to have his drawers in such a twist.

West Virginia Sen. Robert Byrd lashed out at Cheney for the "insult to all Americans." In a written statement, Byrd declared that Cheney showed "contempt and astounding ignorance toward his own countrymen" with the comments.

"Now that he or the administration he represents no longer needs their vote, Mr. Cheney apparently feels that he is now free to mock and belittle the people of West Virginia," said Byrd, a Democrat. "With his trademark arrogance, the vice president even added, 'You can say those things when you're not running for re-election.' "

He added, "This pitiful comment is not entirely surprising when you consider the source. Vice President Cheney's words reflect the attitude of an administration and a party that says what they must to get elected and then turns their backs on those they promised to represent."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/...nbreeding-joke/

Who in the hell would want to read Lynn Cheney's autonbiography?

I do like John Prine.

"Every one else does it too so its OK" ummm NO.

You are just as far off base as Al was, go on to bed now.

Speaking of apologies, has Robert Byrd ever apologized for being the grand wizzard in WV? And I only ask since Byrd seems to have his drawers in such a twist.

Yes, actually, he has.

"I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened."

LINK

You are just as far off base as Al was...

And that was how?

But, you're probably right, (Where exactly did I say that?)

Are you now defending what you don't believe??? :blink:

That's actually pretty funny, because it's self deprecating, and TRUE! There are Cheney's on both sides, so lighten the hell up.

Yes, actually, he has. (Well good for him)

"I know now I was wrong. Intolerance had no place in America. I apologized a thousand times... and I don't mind apologizing over and over again. I can't erase what happened."

LINK

You are just as far off base as Al was...

And that was how? (In your conclusions)

But, you're probably right, (Where exactly did I say that?)

Are you now defending what you don't believe??? :blink: (I was not defending anything.)

Dude, is Wright the new Bill Clinton? I mean, is everything, no matter how unrelated, going to get a "Rev. Wright" response from you guys?

No, he just came to the defense of one while being offended by the other.

Who are "he", "one" and "the other?"

He: RR

one: Wright

other: Cheney

He: RR

one: Wright

other: Cheney

Oh...I thought that since you were responding to me, you were talking to me.

I was responding to your Wright-as-Clinton assertion by explaining my comment. Sorry for the confusion.

Resurface in November? I doubt it.

McCain is roundly despised by the Cheney crowd.

Now Obama's remark about redneck halfwits clinging to God and guns probably will. And West Virginia votes Democratic.

I was responding to your Wright-as-Clinton assertion by explaining my comment. Sorry for the confusion.

Then this doesn't make sense:

It seems as if you're having a conversation with someone else because I've taken neither of the positions you're asserting, those positions being "getting upset" or "being OK with Wright."

Archived