John Smoltz season ending surgery/possible retirement

AcctTiger

Sad day for Braves fans....Smoltz has been the heart of this Atlanta Braves team over the last 20 years....War Damn Smoltz....

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article...sp&c_id=atl

Not a Braves fan, but it will be very sad to see him go, if that is what ends up happening. Even though I still look at Maddux as a traitor, he Smoltz and Glavine made up the best trio of starting pitchers in the modern era IMO.

I still can't believe he had been pitching on so many surgeries

More power to him if he thinks he can come back from what is it...5th major shoulder surgery? Well, may not be 5 shoulder surgeries as he had Tommy John once

Hate to see it happen like this. John is a real Brave, and it's been a fun ride if it's true.

Smoltz has had an amazing career, and perhaps even more amazing is the fact that he has spent his entire major league career with one team. He really developed into the face of the franchise IMO. I remember when he, Glavine and Steve Avery were the great young group of pitchers leading the Braves from the depths of the standings all the way to the World Series. Avery fell off pretty quickly, but then the Braves got Maddux and it was an amazing rotation.

I'm glad the surgery was succesfull and I guess time will tell whether he is able to come back or not.

Whether his career is over or has a little more gas in the tank, I hope he makes it into Cooperstown.

Archived