How does this look to Prospects and/or Parents....

The Prowler

Guest BoStillKnows

Their recruits are probably impressed. Money on the side, multiple arrests before it gets serious, free ice cream, half-game suspensions...sweeeet baby!

What an awesome program!

BTW, when does gymnastics season start?

I can tell you from personal experience that when your home is broken into here, the police will pretty much tell you that you won't get your things back, and that there is not much they can do about it. They do suggest that you purchase an alarm system(which I did)but those are not a guaranteed thing, because they take so long to respond.

Dogs are way better than any alarm system you could buy, and dog food costs way less than paying someone to sit at a computer and turn your alarm off when it triggers instead of calling the cops like they are supposed to. Any place anyone I have ever known lived in with an alarm, they were surprised the first few times they accidentally set it off and the company didn't call and the cops never came.

A dog will take care of business pretty much every time if you have a good one.

I hear pit bulls are great guard dogs, and I know where you can get some that will be needing a new home.

for example: we received a call for a break-in alarm at a bank tonight.....not from the alarm company, but from a keyholder contact that the alarm company called. the alarm company never called us.

also, one of our bank robberies earlier this year the alarm company never dispatched the holdup panic alarm. the bank had to actually call us to tell us they had been robbed. i have absolutely no faith in alarm companies. they aren't usually those big sophisticated setups that you see on the Brinks commercial.

I can tell you from personal experience that when your home is broken into here, the police will pretty much tell you that you won't get your things back, and that there is not much they can do about it. They do suggest that you purchase an alarm system(which I did)but those are not a guaranteed thing, because they take so long to respond.

Dogs are way better than any alarm system you could buy, and dog food costs way less than paying someone to sit at a computer and turn your alarm off when it triggers instead of calling the cops like they are supposed to. Any place anyone I have ever known lived in with an alarm, they were surprised the first few times they accidentally set it off and the company didn't call and the cops never came.

I hear pit bulls are great guard dogs, and I know where you can get some that will be needing a new home.

for example: we received a call for a break-in alarm at a bank tonight.....not from the alarm company, but from a keyholder contact that the alarm company called. the alarm company never called us.

also, one of our bank robberies earlier this year the alarm company never dispatched the holdup panic alarm. the bank had to actually call us to tell us they had been robbed. i have absolutely no faith in alarm companies. they aren't usually those big sophisticated setups that you see on the Brinks commercial.

Dang RWS....now I got to go swap ADT for Alpo.

Guys, you can spin the drugs and arrests all you want. In the end - recruits don't give a damn. That is the bottom line. Parents don't give a damn either. You guys were bringing up this exact same crap when Saban was hired. "How will this look to recruits and their parents - a coach lies to his players and says repeatedly he is not going to be the head coach at Alabama, then he just leaves with a phone call. The guy only cares about money and himself."

And then there was the "How does this look to recruits - Auburn has beaten Alabama FIVE times in a row. They are our whooping boy and the program is heading for even worse times ahead."

Well guess what, the guy pulled in the #1 recruiting class.

Get it through your skull - recruits care about playing time and where they feel comfortable. Saban somehow is a great recruiter. Whatever he does works to get the prospects he wants. And it doesn't matter that he has players running into problems with the law or that Auburn has defeated them six times in a row. It just doesn't matter to them. They may have grown up Alabama fans, so that is all that matters to them. Their parents may be big Alabama fans and that is all that matters to them. There are countless reasons.

Find me some recruits that will come out publically and state "Yea, Alabama showed some interest in me, but it wasn't the place for me with all their recent crime." or "Yea, Saban visited me, but the way he treated the Miami Dolphins was just wrong and I don't like his moral character." or "Why would I go to Alabama? I grew up a fan of theirs, but Auburn has beaten Alabama six times in a row! They are truly the better program. The coaches and the University are about equal between the two, that streak is what brought me in."

These three factors, as much as you want to believe, are truly not a factor in determining where these kids go to school.

PC.....I guess you are saying that we erroneously anticipate the recruits/parents decision making value system to be similar to ours. A chill just ran down my spine b/c for some of the recruits I read about, you are correct.

If that's the case, then I hope that we don't have those recruits/attitudes around our team anyway.

You act like if a kid wanted to get his nose dirty he couldn't do it at Auburn. Jimmy Johns was a **** up. He would have been a **** up at Auburn, too. If you're trying to claim that Auburn is drug free...well, to be blunt, you're either blind or a liar. Drugs are everywhere. That's the sad fact.

Yes but at Alabama there harded to find today

Back in 1978-1979 I had the misfortune of having to live in Tuscaloosa for a couple of years. There was a rash of burglaries in town during one period...my wife and I didn't get a dog, but we put big "Beware of Dog" signs on our front door and our back gate. I can't say it necessarily saved us from a break in--we may have never been targeted anyway--but it was amazing how many pedestrians avoided walking in front of our house after that. Our next door neighbor was an elderly lady who spent a lot of time sitting on her front porch watching the world go by (and in on our "no actual dog" secret.). She told me she got the biggest laughs from watching people walk down our side of the street until they got to our house, then cross the street rather than walk by our yard! :lol:

Back in 1978-1979 I had the misfortune of having to live in Tuscaloosa for a couple of years. There was a rash of burglaries in town during one period...my wife and I didn't get a dog, but we put big "Beware of Dog" signs on our front door and our back gate. I can't say it necessarily saved us from a break in--we may have never been targeted anyway--but it was amazing how many pedestrians avoided walking in front of our house after that. Our next door neighbor was an elderly lady who spent a lot of time sitting on her front porch watching the world go by (and in on our "no actual dog" secret.). She told me she got the biggest laughs from watching people walk down our side of the street until they got to our house, then cross the street rather than walk by our yard! :lol:

Truth is Tuscaloosa has always been like that. In the 80s when I went to Auburn, it had the same rep. Crime was high and drugs were rampant. Drugs of choice in 87 were acid and X. Moved to coke soon thereafter. Crime was an issue then. I even recall some of the baseball team getting into serious trouble but I'm getting old and my brain ain't what it used to be. I used to date a girl that lived in Tutweiler and some of the things she told me were insane.

So it's no hidden little secret that things are bad in Tuscaloosa. It's just a trend.

And yeah, there are drugs in Auburn. And crime too. But it's not out of control and nothing I'm worried about sending my kids into.

Just consider the two perceptions of the campuses. Auburn is laid back, easy going, everyone can get along. Bama is status driven, greek run, and everyone feels like they are above reproach. One of those brings people together and one drives apart.

I don't know much but...

there are going to be bad apples in every bunch. Some may start out bad apples and become good apples, some may start out good apples and become bad apples. Take a look at the Tampa Bay Rays baseball player, Josh Hamilton. First player taken in the 1999 MLB draft. Am Amazing talent. But because of drugs and addiction he never reached the major leagues. Now that the drugs and addictions are a thing of the past he is putting up huge numbers for Tampa Bay. It just goes to show you that you cant really predict how a player or a person is going to turn out until the player's careers is over or a person's life is over.

Guard dogs are great until you throw them cyanide laced weiners. Then the crook just walks right in.

I seriously doubt if anyone is going to put the time in to prepare cyanide hotdogs to break into my house. If anyone lives in the kind of house where people bring cyanide hotdogs with them to rob it, then they should hire a security guard, and not ADT.

My dog will not eat when she is in defense mode, I have tried getting her attention in various ways. The only thing that will break her concentration on the guy coming through the door is me forcing her to the floor to lie down. Nobody else can touch her. She won't bite but boy she sure puts on a show. If they knock on the door and I let them in, it's fine. If they just come in, suprising us all, I have to get her under control. I went out through the front door once and came back in the back door without knocking and she went into defense on me. It took several minutes before she realized it was Daddy and calmed down. Way faster and more reliable than any alarm company.

Guard dogs are great until you throw them cyanide laced weiners. Then the crook just walks right in.

I seriously doubt if anyone is going to put the time in to prepare cyanide hotdogs to break into my house. If anyone lives in the kind of house where people bring cyanide hotdogs with them to rob it, then they should hire a security guard, and not ADT.

Yeah, unless one's house "advertizes" in some manner that it's particularly rich "pickin's", it's usually enough just to make your house more difficult/risky to enter than others around. As I've heard it said "You don't have to be burglar-proof, you just have to make more 'burglar-frustrating' than the house next door. Your average run-of-the-mill crook would just as soon pass on an ADT or dog-guarded house in favor of easier pickin's down the street.

As long as Bama can cut down on the arrests from now on (Bad arrests like coacine, etc...) I don't think it will have THAT BIG of an effect

I mean, UGA has weekly simple battery, DUI, and other charges yet we still are able to rack up recruits and their families

But, if 2-3 more players get cocaine charges this week, well, that may be different

I think Bama will be fine though in the end

I don't think their program is in that bad of shape

Archived