Jerrell Powe declared eligible at Ole Miss

AU alum

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/

Ole Miss defensive tackle Jerrell Powe declared eligible. Really.

by Ian R. Rapoport -- Birmingham News

Monday July 28, 2008, 11:53 PM

"OK, I know this doesn't specifically have to do with Alabama football. But it will on Oct. 18. That's when the Crimson Tide hosts Ole Miss, a team that will now apparently feature highly touted defensive tackle Jerrell Powe.

Not small.That's right. The longest running soap opera in the Southeastern Conference came to an end Monday, when Powe was declared eligible. Powe was enrolled in school on scholarship during the past year, but wasn't allowed to play football.

Seriously, this thing is complicated. Back when I was covering Mississippi State, this story dominated the papers for like two years. Read about it here, here, and here with some good details. This is the official announcement.

For those not familiar, it's a pretty crazy story. Once one of the most coveted recruits in the country, Powe committed to one or two schools, then settled on Ole Miss. He wasn't eligible in 2005, went to Hargrave Academy, then didn't get into OM again. This time, he sued, bringing public this now infamous phrase from his mother: "Jerrell really is a good child, but he just can't read."

At one point, a judge even granted a restraining order allowing him to enroll as a student. Did I mention he was originally a recruit in 2005? Also noteworthy is that I had one coach tell me he was the best defensive line recruit since Reggie White. So how good will he be after sitting out for a while and up near 400 pounds?

I have no idea. But I look forward to seeing him rumble with Antoine Caldwell and his crew..."

I don't think I have anything against him specifically, maybe Houston Nutt. But I hope Auburn makes him look really bad.

I don't think I have anything against him specifically, maybe Houston Nutt. But I hope Auburn makes him look really bad.

I was thinking Ian wrote that last part. I was like, IAN! You d-bag! Then I realized that you wrote that, and it made more sense.

For those not familiar, it's a pretty crazy story. Once one of the most coveted recruits in the country, Powe committed to one or two schools, then settled on Ole Miss. He wasn't eligible in 2005, went to Hargrave Academy, then didn't get into OM again. This time, he sued, bringing public this now infamous phrase from his mother: "Jerrell really is a good child, but he just can't read."

I had no idea. How do you sue a University - an institute of HIGHER LEARNING - and get into a University without the ability to READ. Yet there are many other students in the country that can't get into college just because their grades aren't good enough? That astonishes me. Absolutely astonishes me. If he can't read, how does he pass classes? Even math classes these days require reading skills. Oh boy...

I agree with you PC........ How in the HELL could this guy possibly be able to do anything (even find his classes) at a University without knowing how to even read? It's very very sad that someone in this day and age got through HIGH SCHOOL without knowing how to freaking read! Maybe the magic literacy fairy came to visit him in the middle of the night.

I was thinking Ian wrote that last part. I was like, IAN! You d-bag! Then I realized that you wrote that, and it made more sense.

I don't know what your problem is. He happens to be a member of a team Auburn will be playing and I do hope that we make him look bad. I want all members of all the teams that Auburn plays to look bad. As I would imagine you do about Alabama. I didn't say anything derogatory about him. I was only passing on the article.

I don't know what your problem is. He happens to be a member of a team Auburn will be playing and I do hope that we make him look bad. I want all members of all the teams that Auburn plays to look bad. As I would imagine you do about Alabama. I didn't say anything derogatory about him. I was only passing on the article.

Well, had Ian actually wrote that last little bit (which it did look that way), it would have been completely unprofessional of him. Add in the fact that Ian is supposed to be a BAMA beat writer and it looks like he is pulling for AU.

At least that I what I think Ash is saying.

Well, had Ian actually wrote that last little bit (which it did look that way), it would have been completely unprofessional of him. Add in the fact that Ian is supposed to be a BAMA beat writer and it looks like he is pulling for AU.

correct

correct

I took it the wrong way. I apologize.

I am glad to see the guy qualify

Seems he suffers badly from his academic issues but tries his butt off and as long as he passes what the NCAA requires, I am all for him playing

I am curious how well he does having missed 3 years

Supposed to be a force on the DL

He spent one year at Hargrave prep and was classified as dyslexic and a mild learning disability. His family sued Ole Miss using disabilty discrimination laws to get him into school. The judge said give him one year at Ole Miss (on scholly) and if he passed, then he could play football on scholly.

He now weighs almost 400# and is 21 years. He evidently worked hard in school, but not in PT. How long will it take him to get in playing shape with SEC stamina.....hmmmm...2009.

To paraphrase Tom Cruise: "If you arent winning games....lower your standards!"

Today's Huntsville Times has an article about Evan Caldwell and he says as they approach the start of practice Saban has told them "we will do whatever it takes to win." I have no doubt about that at all.

To paraphrase Tom Cruise: "If you arent winning games....lower your standards!"

Today's Huntsville Times has an article about Evan Caldwell and he says as they approach the start of practice Saban has told them "we will do whatever it takes to win." I have no doubt about that at all.

You and I could write a whole book series of books on that thought alone.

I'm glad to finally see if this guy can approach the hype that has been heaped on him since he came out of high school. I also can't wait to see him dragging his 400lb butt all over the field trying to keep up with "the Tony Franklin system". I'm guessing he will be on the sidelines sucking an oxygen hose before the end of the first quarter.

Archived