Leroy's QB Moseley selected Mr. Football in Alabama

AUman43

Leroy's Clint Moseley is Mr. Football

Friday, December 19, 2008

By JOSH BEAN

Sports Reporter

BIRMINGHAM — The way Clint Moseley remembers it, he became a quarterback by chance.

At age 7, Moseley convinced his parents to let him join a youth league football team at Jackson Academy, and the youngsters gathered around coach Trey Wilson to receive jerseys.

"He threw me No. 7 and said, 'You look like a quarterback,'" Moseley said Thursday night. "I've been a quarterback ever since."

As it turned out, one of the best ever.

Moseley and his family moved across the Tombigbee River to Leroy a few years later, and he blossomed into one of the most prolific passers in state history. On Thursday night, he etched his name in high school football lore as the 2008 recipient of the Mr. Football award.

Moseley, who led the Bears to three straight Class 2A titles, capped his prep football career by edging Cordova running back Tim Simon and Gadsden cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick in Mr. Football voting by the Alabama Sports Writers Association.

Winning Mr. Football was particularly satisfying to Moseley after he was twice passed over to play in the Alabama-Mississippi All-Star Classic.

"This sort of makes up for it, but I feel like I should have been selected," said Moseley.

"I feel like this kind of proves it."

The Mr. Football announcement capped Thursday's annual ASWA player of the year awards dinner, which included a keynote address by former Auburn quarterback and 2001 Mr. Football Brandon Cox.

This kid sounds like he has a lot of potential despite coming from a small school. Get after him Chizik!

Maybe so...

I've wondered why schools like Leroy and Sweetwater ALWAYS have dominant teams but you never hear of players at major schools from those places. Grades? Sweetwater usually scores 60+ points and plays 9th graders from the 2nd quarter on!

We can probably "get" him if we want him. He's not that highly rated by the recruiting services, though I'll be the first to admit they don't know everything.

I've seen no other D-1 school express any interest in him at all. Is he a legitimate prospect? I don't know, so I'll leave that up to our coaches to decide.

Maybe so...

I've wondered why schools like Leroy and Sweetwater ALWAYS have dominant teams but you never hear of players at major schools from those places. Grades? Sweetwater usually scores 60+ points and plays 9th graders from the 2nd quarter on!

Maybe because they are 2A?

Maybe so...

i have a neighbor who is a coach at 6A school and he stated to me, "hey man, let me tell you something, i wouldn't want to have play sweet water!"

i am from down around that area originally and played softball during the summer with their head coach and went to school with their defensive coordinator. they are a very talented team, they may not have the numbers that the larger schools have but they are some big strong country boys that live to play ball.

Maybe so...

Leroy just beat Sulligent-- the home of Joe Cribbs.

I wonder why he wasn't selected for the All star game. I graduated from a 2A HS, and there were players like Tim Simon and Moseley that were around from time to time, but the only looks they would generally get would be UNA, UAB, Samford, Livingston etc.. There was one guy on my HS football team that received an academic scholarship to Penn, while there he walked on the football team as an OL and they won 3 NC's while there. Just saying the size of the school doesn't always mean there isan't great players at the 1 and 2A schools.

It's not our problem your program is inferior... hehe

Ain't that your typical bamzo? They win one of the last seven Iron Bowls and then claim their program is superior. It's no wonder bammers are the laughing stock of the college football world.

Auburn had Spencer Johnson and Merrill Johnson (no relation) that both went to small schools (Silas, and Butler) the same area where Leroy is located.

Spencer Johnson is enjoying a successful NFL career and M. Johnson was a good player for Auburn and will probably get a free agent contract this year..

I hope Auburn offers Mosley.

according to Mosley's interview on AU's rivals site, Chizik called him on Christmas Day and talked to him and said that as soon as they had a coordinator they would look at his film.

now, wait a second......i thought coaches couldn't initiate contact with a recruit during the dead period? :o

according to Mosley's interview on AU's rivals site, Chizik called him on Christmas Day and talked to him and said that as soon as they had a coordinator they would look at his film.

now, wait a second......i thought coaches couldn't initiate contact with a recruit during the dead period? :o

Maybe Chizik channeled the ghost of Christmas Past (aka Logan Young).

Are you sure CGC wasn't returning a recruit's voicemail message that was a return of Chizik's pre-dead-period initiation voicemail message? :P:P

i suppose he just guessed Chizik's phone number or something? i guess he called and left a voice mail saying "hey, please offer me a scholarship.....call me back...." :rolleyes: in any event, it wouldn't matter anyway. a contact is a contact.

Are you sure CGC wasn't returning a recruit's voicemail message that was a return of Chizik's pre-dead-period initiation voicemail message? :P:P

i suppose he just guessed Chizik's phone number or something? i guess he called and left a voice mail saying "hey, please offer me a scholarship.....call me back...." :rolleyes: in any event, it wouldn't matter anyway. a contact is a contact.

Be careful throwing stones in that glass house.

you guys accuse Alabama of stuff you think up or otherwise create all on your own, so i'm cool with throwing a stone when the recruit himself says something.

you guys accuse Alabama of stuff you think up or otherwise create all on your own, so i'm cool with throwing a stone when the recruit himself says something.

Just make sure you don't throw it straight up.

Educate your moronic self:

http://www.ncaa.org/eligibility/faqs/faqs_recruiting.html

Haven't we been over this? The dead period applies only to visits, not to phone calls.

Isn't that Appplies guy a bama lock or lean? And I know that Visits guy just gave Bama his LOI

:cheer: That's 21 :cheer: Woa thyd :cheer:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/resour...doc?MOD=AJPERES

I believe phone calls are limited to one per week beginning Sept 1. The definition of Dead Period from the NCAA site is attached. Notice the part that says it remains permissible to write or telephone prospects during dead period. FYI: The link above has the 2008- 09 Coaches Recruiting guidelines.

13.02.4.4 Dead Period.

A dead period is a period of time when it is not permissible to make in-person recruiting contacts or evaluations on or off the institution's campus or to permit official or unofficial visits by prospective student-athletes to the institution's campus. The provision of complimentary admissions to a prospective student-athlete during a dead period is prohibited, except as provided in Bylaw 13.7.2.5 for a prospective student-athlete who visits an institution as part of a group. During a dead period, a coaching staff member may not serve as a speaker at or attend a meeting or banquet at which prospective student-athletes are in attendance, except as provided in Bylaw 13.1.9.1, and may not visit a prospective student-athlete's educational institution. It remains permissible, however, for an institutional staff member to write or telephone a prospective student-athlete during a dead period. (Revised:1/11/94)

Haven't we been over this? The dead period applies only to visits, not to phone calls.

i thought from Dec. 22nd to Jan 1st nothing was allowed.

especially, talking to agents & running stop signs. :yes:

Archived